Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

11 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I want some LITA numbers

these are wed full day numbers for other 2 movies. alita is a day later but could have wed night previews reported in a few hours i guess.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Everytime I see early estimates crash hard when later revises come, I can't help but be reminded of the huge faceplant that was the reveal of Mary Poppins Returns' preview number estimate. Feels like, ever since Poppins - and even though Aquaman, Bumblebee, Spider-Verse and a couple of others were hits - the box office has felt deflated. Hell, I take that back: ever since Beasts 2, the box office has felt deflated.

• Like 1

Thurs Fri Sat Sun Mon   3-day   total
Alita 5 5 8 7 4   20   29
Lego 2.5 4.5 9 7.5 6   21   69
Romantic 6 4.2 6 4 2   14.2   24
HDD2 2.5 5 6 4 2   15   20.5
WMW 4.5 3.5 5 3.5 1.8   12   40.3
Cold 1 1.5 2.5 2 1.2   6   22
Upside 0.8 1.2 2.2 1.6 1   5   94
Glass 0.5 0.8 1.5 1.1 0.5   3.4   104
Prodigy 0.5 0.8 1.3 1 0.5   3.1   11.1
Green 0.3 0.6 1.1 0.8 0.4   2.5   65.5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with the box office this year. It can't just be lack of interest because this feels abnormal. I've read some reports on YouTube of people who said they couldn't go to theaters because they were snowed in...... do you guys think the bad weather is really a factor here too?

It's like the opposite of 10 years ago when the box office picked up dramatically over the holidays 2008 and that kicked off a boon that went on for months throughout early 2009. Of course, the terms were different (the country was in a recession) and the entire movie climate has shifted dramatically (to put it mildly) over that time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Seriously, what the fuck is going on with the box office this year. It can't just be lack of interest because this feels abnormal.

Everyone is waiting for Carol. 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

23 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

No Moviepass.

I have a convert:)...

Although, not quite so simple:).  Moviepass inflated last year's market and stopped the downward ticket sale trend, plus allowed theaters to keep increasing prices (since demand wasn't as price conscious).  Now, with it pretty much gone, prices are still high (no adjustment has been made yet - in fact, they went higher in Nov/Dec), personal incentives to go to the theater are low (less people around to want to "make a subscription worth it" and drag their friends/family), and many people's mental paradigm is now that movies are worth "x" and now they cost "more than x", so they can wait...

I mean, many of the Moviepass subscribers were part of the 26M frequent movie goers that DOM has...so, the effect of losing them or some of their movie going (since they'll still go to Avengers:) exacerbates the decrease on the market...

AMC A-List helped, especially at the beginning, to slow this tide, but their choice to raise rates at Xmas meant they really slowed down their subscriber market...plus, they aren't everywhere...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Everytime I see early estimates crash hard when later revises come, I can't help but be reminded of the huge faceplant that was the reveal of Mary Poppins Returns' preview number estimate. Feels like, ever since Poppins - and even though Aquaman, Bumblebee, Spider-Verse and a couple of others were hits - the box office has felt deflated. Hell, I take that back: ever since Beasts 2, the box office has felt deflated.

I think everyone is saving their money for the next Marvel/Disney film.

#Boycott

You know, I really believe cold weather is partially why numbers are low that and franchise fatigue (which all in all I think we may see this year but not just franchise but remakes as well).

Looking at the inevitable summer pileup and the barren January to February and as well as November, you think studio would spread out more.  

• Like 1