Litio

4-day Weekend Official| Alita $33.50M, Lego $27.75m, Isn't Romantic $16.64M, WMW $12.21m, HDD2U $11m

Isn't It Romantic looks cute. I'm surprised that it's taken this long for Rebel Wilson to get a proper starring vehicle. At first I thought she already had but then I remembered that was a flop ABC sitcom around the time of the first Pitch Perfect.

• Like 2

I don’t think the weather or Movie Pass has anything to do with the weak box office this year so far. I was a Movie Pass user and I did see movies that I wouldn’t have seen otherwise but to be honest the majority of films released this year have been so uninteresting that I wouldn’t even watch them if I had Movie Pass. My time matters. 

• Like 1

What an awful year. And the release schedule isn't very encouraging. Every week it's becoming emptier, with many movies being delayed.

This March there are 10 wide releases, but at least 4 are minor movies that are benefiting from lack of other openers (Greta, Sunset, Hotel Mumbai, Unplanned). Not big players on paper.

Compare it to 2018 schedule: 18 wide releases!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stripe said:

What an awful year. And the release schedule isn't very encouraging. Every week it's becoming emptier, with many movies being delayed.

This March there are 10 wide releases, but at least 4 are minor movies that are benefiting from lack of other openers (Greta, Sunset, Hotel Mumbai, Unplanned). Not big players on paper.

Pretty sure March is barren for the most part because everybody wanted to steer clear of Captain Marvel (which is looking to take advantage). Even Us moved back a week after it had already begun selling tickets for its original opening on the 15th.

Edited by filmlover

ALITA 2.4 Wed previews

https://deadline.com/2019/02/happy-death-day-2u-isnt-it-romantic-opening-day-box-office-1202556699/

3RD UPDATE, WEDNESDAY AM: Despite two pics officially opening yesterday, Fox’s Alita: Battle Angel has bragging rights even though it was in previews: The Robert Rodriguez-directed, Lightstorm produced movie made more than any other title on the chart with $2.4M off showtimes that started at 7PM. The pic opens in 3,790 locations with the full suite of Imax, Dolby, PLF and 3D.

New Line’s Rebel Wilson comedy Isn’t It Romantic came in close to what we were seeing last night with Warner Bros. reporting $1.8

Warner Bros. also savored second place yesterday with Lego Movie 2 taking in $1.075M, taking its six-day total to $39.2M. Industry estimates expect the sequel’s second weekend to be in the $20M-$22M range.

Universal/Blumhouse’s Happy Death Day 2U, ranked third with $987K-$1M. On the high end, that’s what the first pic earned on its 7PM Thursday night back in October 2017. Two and a half stars on PostTrak for the sequel. Males under 25 were the biggest quad last night at 37%, followed by females under 25 at 23% and then males over 25 at 22%. The first 2016 movie landed a 71% RT score, and this one is 64% fresh.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 7

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Alita also had Tuesday night early showings on PLF screens at some locations which I'm guessing is also rolled into these numbers.

It is.

That number above includes Tuesday fan event money. 3D repped 66% of last night’s business. Early PostTrak for the film was three-and-half-stars with general audiences repping 88%, kids 7% and parents 5%. In the first night of Alita, males over 25 were the biggest quad at 43% and they loved the sci-fi femme action pic the most at 86%. Dwayne Johnson’s Rampage earned $2.4M in Thursday night previews before opening to $35.7M.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, stripe said:

And Sunset in wide release is likely a mistake on BOM's part. I mean it's a 2-and-a-half-hour long Hungarian period drama that's divisive even in cinephile circles. 

Greta getting a wide release is fun though. Goddess Huppert > all the Brie Larsons of the world

• Astonished 1