How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Grade It

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Saw it a few weeks ago and just watched it again. It's even better than I felt the first time. Easy to forget just how good the first half is, when the second half is so perfect, but really the whole film is great.

The mating ritual scene truly, best film scene I've seen in ages. 

I strongly suspect this will be my film of the year.

• Like 2

My favourite out of the three, honestly. Such a fitting and beautiful ending. The villain was weak, but he served his purpose and this film was more about the journey of our heroes to adulthood anyway.

One of the most consistent and overall best trilogys of the decade.

Was originally going to check out Fighting With My Family next week as my weekend-movie. But I really do want to see this again to be honest. Easily the best movie of 2019 so far, and if it weren't for Spiderverse, I would say it is the best major studio animated film since Coco or Inside Out. 

The characters and world in this franchise are just so well-realized, and the movie is directed and written with such maturity. It does not treat its child audience as kids, but rather as people capable of grasping complex themes and emotions. And none of it is heavy-handed as well. This is a movie that kids today are going to grow up with and get more and more from it with each watch as they get older. 

Perfect way to end the franchise as well. By first having Hiccup face off against someone who represented himself had he made the choice to kill Toothless in the first movie (I made a post about that in the weekend thread), to finally having Hiccup and Toothless reuniting with their children many years later. Really very touching. My only regret is not watching parts 1 and 2 immediately before going to see this (I hadn't seen them in a few years, and most definitely would have shed some tears had they been fresh in my mind). 

The animation is incredible. Holy shit the sand when toothless was drawing in it. It looked REAL. Haven't been this impressed in animation since Moana. And the action sequences are truly exciting. Really really happy at how this is performing. Hopefully it can hold its own against Cap Marvel until Dumbo, and can leg it out to 200+. 

A!!!!!!!!!