grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2018 | The forums can't fight the friction

#21 one of my personal favorites of the year

Spoiler

Game Night

08GEQyE.png

One of the most hilarious movies of the year. And the comedy comes from the plot instead of feeling shoehorned into it. Includes a cameo from "Denzel" as well

USER REVIEWS

I really enjoyed this. It looks like an actual movie for one; I was surprised how cleverly shot some sequences were. The plot itself is pretty engrossing as well; again, feels like an actual movie rather than just going through the set-ups for the next gag. Would have been easy to make this feel really mean-spirited but they keep it fun all the way through. Everyone in the cast is funny, they play likeable characters and it all just clicks together. Thumbs up. - @aabattery

Was not expecting this to be as funny or clever as I thought it was going to be. Consider me pleasantly surprised.

8/10 @Rorschach

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

10 minutes ago, grim22 said:

#22 is the most ambitious crossover of all time

Reveal hidden contents

001.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Infinity War was everything I wanted it to be and it lived up to those expectations. Not shocked this made the list in the slightest. 

I remembered quite a few listed it as their favorite film of the year in the thread. I thought it will at least make itself into Top 10 since more weight will be given to the Top 1 pick.

Spoiler

INCREDIBLES 2

t8DqKQI.png

Incredibles 2 was a generational event for 90s and early 00s kids. The movie lived up to the first and brought Brad Bird back to the mainstream after the bombage of Tomorrowland. 

USER REVIEWS

This is more straight up superheroics/suburban family stuff than the first film, and the villain is nowhere near as good as Syndrome. You can see the identity of the "mystery villain" mile away.

That being said, just because its more on the superhero side of things doesnt make it any less entertaining. 

The action sequences are absolutely jaw-dropping (train chase and Screenslaver's hideouts being technical marvels!!!) and we get to see more of Helen/Violet this time around.

Great stuff.

A @kaijukurt

Solid work, gorgeous animation, phenomenal theme.  I thought the plot felt predictable and safe (even for a kids movie) - yet, yet -- I can dismiss all that because the character work is top-notch.  There are some wonderful quiet moments in this movie.  Also, the action was AAAAWESOME.  Overall, I was charmed.  

A/A-

@captainwondyful

• Like 18
  • Disbelief 2

#19 will Rock You

Spoiler

BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY

V0xpxIQ.png

The worst reviewed movie on the list. Anchored by Rami Malek's performance, the movie includes every biographical movie trope and delivers a kickass final concert scene which sends everyone home happy

USER REVIEWS

i enjoyed it very much , malek did a great job , the music was great , i loved the band interactions and the creative process of making their songs/ album . 

i feel the way they showed him being gay and not showing it kinda reflects the times when it was very much a hush hush backdoor alley /hidden corners and to see it through our modern lense isnt fair.

for the most part i've been a generic Queen fan , like most i know the big anthem , i know freddy mercury died of aids , probably caught a behind the music episode on him or some documentary when i was young but for the most part i knew one song particularly well probably saw it on a throwback videos compilation show from vh1 " i want to break free" its very personal to me and i listen to it often at least once or twice a week . 

haven't read any critics , don't care for critics anymore. Everything these days is just a stream of negativity so anything that negates that negativity and makes me feel a heartwarming sensation and that there is still beauty in this world gets an A + from me .

PS: it even brought me back to comment on this site , ok i meant to but hearing avatar sequels are done done push me to click open that chrome window 

@ladyevenstar22

It’s like A Star is Born, but in reverse. Both adhere to the tired rise-fall-redemption structure (can we PLEASE let that go?), but one can never reach the heights of its first act ending on a whimper while the other only gets better after a agonizingly dull first half. 

After my Star is Born screening, I could only think how I had already seen that movie countless times before. After my Bohemian Rhapsody screening, I was impacted, my face red from the crying.

Bohemian Rhapsody absolutely kills it when focuses on Freddie yearning for a sense of belonging, pretty much ending on a perfect note with the reconstruction of the live aid performance. 8/10

@Goffe

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 7

3 minutes ago, grim22 said:

#19 will Rock You

Reveal hidden contents

giphy.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

#18 features a leading man who has already appeared on this countdown

Spoiler

A SIMPLE FAVOR

0U2r2H1.png

A surprising thriller by Paul Feig which still has the Feig trademarks in it. Good performances by Anna Kendrick and Henry Golding and a scene stealing performance by Blake Lively made this thriller one of the must watch movies in 2018

USER REVIEWS

Blake Lively in suits is an automatic A  @Nova

I simply loved it!. One of my favorites of the Year. Anna Kendrick was so amazing in this LOL she should seriously get an Oscar nomination. @Christmas baumer

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 2

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

#19 will Rock You

Reveal hidden contents

It’s like a band aid I guess. Best to rip it off quickly.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

INCREDIBLES 2

t8DqKQI.png

Incredibles 2 was a generational event for 90s and early 00s kids. The movie lived up to the first and brought Brad Bird back to the mainstream after the bombage of Tomorrowland. 

USER REVIEWS

This is more straight up superheroics/suburban family stuff than the first film, and the villain is nowhere near as good as Syndrome. You can see the identity of the "mystery villain" mile away.

That being said, just because its more on the superhero side of things doesnt make it any less entertaining. 

The action sequences are absolutely jaw-dropping (train chase and Screenslaver's hideouts being technical marvels!!!) and we get to see more of Helen/Violet this time around.

Great stuff.

A @kaijukurt

Solid work, gorgeous animation, phenomenal theme.  I thought the plot felt predictable and safe (even for a kids movie) - yet, yet -- I can dismiss all that because the character work is top-notch.  There are some wonderful quiet moments in this movie.  Also, the action was AAAAWESOME.  Overall, I was charmed.  

A/A-

@captainwondyful

Didn't even know people remembered this movie still. 

• Like 1