grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2018 | The forums can't fight the friction

6 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Yea like the review said, it never came to my theater chain even though I saw the trailer for it in front of a few other films. 

I hope to catch it before the Boffies.

Spoiler

IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK

XmaL31j.png

USER REVIEWS;

I caught this at TIFF, but my god this is an absolutely gorgeous, heartbreaking tale. I may have liked it even more than Moonlight.

Special props for Jenkins for how RICH and beautiful the design is. Especially since this isn’t the kind of movie that gets this kind of detail and support.

So very, very recommended, and possibly my favorite movie of the year. @Spagspiria

Friendship ended with Giacchino. After this, Moonlight and Vice, Nicholas Britell is my favorite composer working today.

A @Alpha

Barry Jenkins is the real deal. My word @Telemachos

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

The beginning of that movie always cracks me up. Dumbass kid

Dumbass parents too. Yeah keep cranking 'em out Jim, don't wear a rubber or anything it's not like the world's taken over by spider-aliens trying to eat your stupid noisy kids.

• Like 2

I’m quite surprised #9 made this list as it is not the type of movie one would normally associate with the rank and file BOT poster. Between it and the two preceding films in the list, it looks like the BOT movie lovers showed up to vote this year. 

So far, this has been a solid list of films for 2018, with only a couple of head scratchers appearing.

• Like 1

Spoiler

BLACK PANTHER

9byiK8M.png

The biggest superhero movie of all time (domestic) finds its way onto the list. A movie which served as a cultural touchstone in addition to making it to the Best Picture nominees, it definitely deserves it's spot on the list.

USER REVIEWS

LONG LIVE THE KING 

I'll try to keep this spoiler free 

What can I say ? this is on hell of an entertaining movie ( Marvel is getting too good at this )  . Boseman just exudes charisma , no really, this man can make a silent movie look fun . MBJ is so great and so is his role too  

here is one thing I can think of about the movie that is not positive ( or negative ), it doesn't seem like it is set in the MCU , somehow it feels like it's an independent movie . The connection doesn't flow naturally IMO ( then again this was also the case with Dr. Strange )

Over all it a very exhilarating movie that keeps you at the edge of your seat for the significant majority of the time but I gotta say this is not ground breaking ( and I'm talking about the movie itself not it's implications on the world of movie making ) I think it is on par with Winter Soldier IMO which makes it one of the top marvel movies . 

4.5/5  @BardCrank

For me, it ranks up in the Top 5 of the MCU. The nation of Wakanda is surprisingly captivating and the history behind is nothing short of fascinating. All the actors do fantastic jobs in their roles. Boseman is great in the lead and Michael B. Jordan creates one of the most compelling Comic-Book villains I've ever seen. The supporting players add a lot to the film as well. From Shuri who is one of my new favorite supporting characters in the MCU to Okoye, who is simply put badass, they all bring their A-game. The action may not be the best ever put on screen but its done very well here. Its still exciting and many of the setpieces are hugely entertaining. (Don't get me started on the amazing soundtrack, song, and score-wise).

For me, the film didn't feel like an action movie or your typical Marvel movie. It felt like a big-budget drama with action setpieces sprinkled throughout and you know what? I'm completely fine with that. I'll take a well-developed, interesting story with great characters and emotional conflict over action any day (although this film has both drama and action in spades so no complaints here).

I do have some minor complaints that didn't really affect my overall experience. Jordan is a great villain but near the beginning, he felt slightly under-utilized. His beginning introduction is genuinely great but then he disappears for like 40 minutes or so. Not a glaring issue since he's focused on very well in the second half. I just wished there was more of him. Also, the CGI in a few places looked a little unfinished. The scene in the climax where T'Challa and Killmonger were falling and fighting in the air did harken back to the Spider-Man and Venom fight scene from Spider-Man 3. Although I think the scene looked a lot better here than it did in that film, it still looked a little weir.

I always go into each Marvel movie extremely hyped out of my mind to see them. Lately, they've been solid/good but none of them have really met high expectations. They've mostly been hanging in that 6-8 rank range for me. I can gladly say that this was the first in a long time to have exceeded my expectations. To me, it ranks up there with the first Iron Man, the first Guardians, Winter Soldier, and the first Avengers as one of my favorites of the MCU. It truly deserves all the praise it gets and I cannot wait for Infinity War.

9/10 @Rorschach

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

THE FAVOURITE

8k5sxHX.png

Historical costume dramas are dime a dozen during awards season, so it was definitely surprising to see this take on the entire period. More a dark comedy like All About Eve than an actual out and out drama, The Favourite was a good watch. The performances were great across the board and it was surprising how natural everything felt in the movie.

USER REVIEWS

A delightful dark comedy about power plays in early 1700s British politics with an All About Eve twist. I was surprised by how genuinely hilarious this was at times: the script is filled with hilarious one-liners and other quirks (that strange dance between Rachel Weisz and Joe Alwyn might be the hardest I’ve laughed all year). The biggest asset is its trio of central performances: Olivia Colman, Emma Stone (in a role that takes a dark turn previously unseen by the actress), and Rachel Weisz all deserve the awards love coming their way (kudos as well to a never better Nicholas Hoult). Like Love & Friendship from a few years ago, this is a period piece for those seeking something spicier from such a usually stuffy genre. A @filmlover

8/10, A-

Barry Lyndon on speed - very entertaining and, like in Barry Lyndon, nice camerawork and superb light; I could have done without some of the postmodernist frill,  I thought the "story" was strong enough to stand on its own but of course most of the audience liked the gags. @IndustriousAngel

• Like 18
  • Thanks 2
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

ROMA

K7068VD.png

USER REVIEWS:

Really liked this. Thought it was very good. Predictable, and lags a bit towards the end, but such a sweet story. And beautiful to watch. A @Deja23

Fantastic! Absolutely powerful. Cuaron's best film by a big margin.

10/10 @FantasticBeasts

Lordy, what a movie @Telemachos

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

Spoiler

BLACKKKLANSMAN

BgjSsHw.png

Spike Lee is back. A timely movie with a gut punch of an ending including great performances by Washington and Driver (and even Topher Grace). Watch it if you haven't, just remember it will make you hate the current landscape.

USER REVIEWS

It’s a pretty powerful movie, that’s entertaining in the build up, and then has some really harrowing parts to it.  Incredibly well done, and surprisingly tame (prior to the last sequence) in its commentary.  It doesn’t bash on cops, but recognizes there’s major issues that need to be addressed.

It does a great job at tying Trump’s rhetoric and showing how similar it was to messages from the KKK.  It also does a good job at highlighting more subtle racism in a movie focused on an overtly racist group.

Im wondering how necessary the ending sequence was.  On one hand, it was very effective, relevant and powerful.  It definitely gut punched me more than anything in the film.  On the other hand, it feels a little out of place from a technical filmmaking perspective, it may have been more of a preaching to the choir moment.  Overall, I’m glad it was included, I’ve just tended to think some of the more powerful statements against Trump are the ones where you make the connection without even having to bring him up.  In other words, it felt like the film was trying to connect the dots for you instead of leaving them there for you to connect yourself.

Then again, maybe we do need a clear message and not a hidden one.  It was refreshing and poignant.

One of Spike Lee’s best, and more focused movies imo.  A- @The Panda

With BlacKkKlansman, Spike Lee delivers his most electrifying film in more than a quarter-century. In adapting Ron Stallworth’s memoir of experiences that prove truth to be far stranger than fiction, Lee crafts an extremely entertaining dramedy that also keeps a keen eye on parallels between its period setting and today’s racial and political tensions. Lee walks the line between effective comedy and searing drama so well that no tone shift feels inorganic and the film succeeds in being enjoyable, riveting, and moving all at once. Despite knowing that Stallworth will survive, the narrative is still packed with surprises and genuine white-knuckle tension as it approaches its climax. Despite taking some slight creative liberties (including setting the film several years earlier than the true events it depicts), it remains true to the spirit of Stallworth’s story and makes razor-sharp eviscerations of the irrationality and misguided volatility that undergirds racist ideology; it successfully portrays the organization alluded to in the title as both hilariously inept in their blind hatred and dangerous in the violent proclivities of their most unstable and radicalized members. There’s also a virtuoso sequence that cross-cuts between “power” chants at a white supremacist faux “baptism” and a Black Student Union meeting that does a sublime job of differentiating the former’s desire to deny power to others from the latter’s cry for recognizing power that racists have long tried to deny them. In front of the camera, John David Washington radiates charisma in the title role; his swagger and screen presence are reminiscent of those of his accomplished father. As his physical surrogate, Adam Driver does the most dramatically and comedically effective work of his career to date; the two actors share such excellent chemistry with one another that their characters’ seamless collaboration in the film feels natural. Little-known Jasper Paakkonen does chilling work as an especially volatile white supremacist who constantly ups the narrative’s dramatic stakes. Topher Grace also contributes revelatory work as an organization leader who remains active and dangerous today; he succeeds in couching reprehensible rhetoric in a deceptively affable tone, and his humiliation in his final (dramatized) scene feels cathartic. Viewers are bound to be split on the film’s nonfiction coda – which stitches together footage of the Charlottesville tragedy and the president’s “both sides” response – but I found it to be a fitting reminder of the continued resonance of the film’s themes and the need to continue to combat white supremacism in all its forms. As both unconventional entertainment and a pointed repudiation of past and present racist rhetoric, BlacKkKlansman is an incredible accomplishment that – for my money – surpasses even the likes of Get Out, Mudbound, and Sorry to Bother You as the most powerful cinematic statement for black empowerment and against the present resurgence of racism at the highest level of political power.

A @Webslinger

• Like 18

Before the top 4, here's the top 35 with points - nothing really ran away from the pack. Lots of votes distributed among lots of movies.

1   804
2   734
3   714
4   704
5 Blackkklansman 686
6 Roma 672
7 The Favourite 663
8 Black Panther 622
9 If Beale Street Could Talk 616
10 Blindspotting 603
11 Leave No Trace 567
12 A Quiet Place 563
13 Love, Simon 550
14 Hereditary 546
15 Widows 540
16 Paddington 2 509
17 Eighth Grade 493
18 A Simple Favor 473
19 Bohemian Rhapsody 468
20 Incredibles 2 465
21 Game Night 464
22 Avengers: Infinity War 455
23 Crazy Rich Asians 455
24 First Reformed 436
25 Searching 421
26 Annihilation 406
27 The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 396
28 Sorry to Bother You 392
29 You Were Never Really Here 373
30 Shoplifters 371
31 First Man 371
32 Can You Ever Forgive Me? 358
33 Suspiria 353
34 The Hate U Give 349
35 Burning 348
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Before the top 4, here's the top 35 with points - nothing really ran away from the pack. Lots of votes distributed among lots of movies.

1   804
2   734
3   714
4   704
5 Blackkklansman 686
6 Roma 672
7 The Favourite 663
8 Black Panther 622
9 If Beale Street Could Talk 616
10 Blindspotting 603
11 Leave No Trace 567
12 A Quiet Place 563
13 Love, Simon 550
14 Hereditary 546
15 Widows 540
16 Paddington 2 509
17 Eighth Grade 493
18 A Simple Favor 473
19 Bohemian Rhapsody 468
20 Incredibles 2 465
21 Game Night 464
22 Avengers: Infinity War 455
23 Crazy Rich Asians 455
24 First Reformed 436
25 Searching 421
26 Annihilation 406
27 The Ballad of Buster Scruggs 396
28 Sorry to Bother You 392
29 You Were Never Really Here 373
30 Shoplifters 371
31 First Man 371
32 Can You Ever Forgive Me? 358
33 Suspiria 353
34 The Hate U Give 349
35 Burning 348

:whosad:

• Like 3

Just now, Mulder said:

>Annihilation didn't make it

🙃

First Man apparently didn't either.  What film am I missing that made the top 4?  I know there's Fallout, ASIB, and Spider-Verse, but I can't think of anything else that would be up there.  Unless he's trolling, which is likely :thinking: