grim22

BOT's Top 25 Movies of 2018 | The forums can't fight the friction

Spoiler

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE

FpiVY0L.jpg

The best animated movie of 2018. One of the most inventive movies of the year. Lord and Miller do it again despite not being the directors. Sunflower is also a really good song for sure.

USER REVIEWS

:wub:

A+ @That One Guy

A+ I've already have seen it twice. It gets better with each viewing. @YLF

no less than the best superhero movie of the 2010s. i have no issues with it. a perfect film @CoolioD1

• Like 17
  • Knock It Off 1

Just now, grim22 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Wow, could have swore this would have been #1 by the way this forums swoons about it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

First Man apparently didn't either.  What film am I missing that made the top 4?  I know there's Fallout, ASIB, and Spider-Verse, but I can't think of anything else that would be up there.  Unless he's trolling, which is likely :thinking:

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR?

getrv60.png

Haven't seen this yet. But seeing it land at #3 makes me want to see it immediately.

USER REVIEWS

I cried the entire time and am still crying hours later just thinking about it.

A+ @That One Guy

This is a wonderful and timely documentary that I feel the world needs in a time like this. Mr. Rogers' messages of peace, love, acceptance, etc. remain as poignant and important today as they did during his time on television. I never grew up with the show, partly because it ended when I was only a small infant, but as a young adult, I find the messages this man tried to teach young children to be very thoughtful and inspiring even at my age. There has never been a show quite like his, not before or even after. Learning about this man's life in this film was truly an experience within itself.

I feel that now, more than ever, the world needs someone like Mr. Rogers to help inspire others and be a voice of reason in this time of divide. It seems selfish to want someone just like him to do so but that's just how I feel about the matter. We're never gonna get someone just like him ever again, and that's okay. His words, his messages, and the characters he portrayed to showcase these messages in his show will continue to inspire others to help the world in their own way.

It bears repeating but this documentary is just so wonderful and touching. I've never sat through a film before and have felt as inspired the way I felt after viewing this film. It gave me a renewed sense of hope and kindness that I've never gotten out of a film before. This is the best film I've seen so far this year and I can't recommend it enough. I think it'll be herculean task for anyone not to be moved by this film.

5/5 @Rorschach

The one disturbing thing about watching this movie is that you realize that although the world needs a man like Mr. Rodgers, we might need him now more than ever, but even though we need him, he would probably be ostracized and ridiculed beyond belief in this cynical time we live in.  Here's a man who truly cared for kids.  There was never any chicanery, no whispers of abuse or molestation or any other nefarious kind of rumour that would exist today.  He loved them and wanted them to grow up believing in themselves.  He also loved people and he tried to help others, including taking a stand with black people in the tumultuous times they lived in.  

A stunning film and one that should be a shoe in for best documentary this year.

10/10 @Christmas baumer

This movie is the equivalent of a warm hug @The Panda

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4
  • Disbelief 1

Spoiler

A STAR IS BORN

r7Dpc57.png

Bradley Cooper taking his spot as the next Clint Eastwood for Warner Brothers with this movie. A Star Is Born was a surprisingly well made movie when everyone was expecting the worst when it was announced. One of the movies of 2018 which i think will be rewatched a lot down the line. A well deserved second spot, it's far from the shallows now

USER REVIEWS

At the end Elliott’s character talks about every artist replaying the same 12 notes in an octave, all the same thing but each putting their own spin on it.

I feel like that was Cooper’s way of commentating about movies and art in general.

A Star is Born is a story that’s been told quite a few times, yet each one uniquely effective (or ineffective).

Cooper’s version is powerful, and left me floored.  Some great commentary on the industry, and a haunting tale of fame that remains so effective because of the truth it tells.  

Cooper is phenomenal behind and in front of the character, and has some of the strongest emotional gut punches of the film.  Lady Gaga’s performance is on an equivalent level in emotion and believability.  For two giant names they sure do get lost into their characters.

One of the best I’ve seen this year (if not the best)

A @The Panda

It slows a bit in the second half when Ally's STAR IS BORN, but that first half and ending is really terrific. It got a few tears outta me here and there. Shallow is the high point. It's probably gonna win Picture. @RichWS

A Star is Born is seriously impressive. Cooper’s directorial debut is confident and almost always knows exactly what it’s doing. He steps back when he needs to and takes control when it’s necessary. The film feels timeless and perhaps it is. After all, the story has been remade countless times and it still feels like something we can’t keep our eyes away from. Gaga and Cooper are a duo that can’t be stopped in this film. Both of them deliver performances that are almost unfathomably good for both their characters. The music is memorable and utilized well; it’s a musical where the motifs always build in truly lovely ways. Libatique’s cinematography and the supporting performances all add to the feeling of something truly special happening before. A Star is Born is monumental, an engrossing tale of music, love and the harm we do to ourselves in the supposed service of others. A truly memorable film. A
 @Blankments

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • ...wtf 1

Spoiler

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT

9x9N050.png

Here it is. Our #1 movie of 2018. Well reviewed, well received by the audience and is well remembered at the end of the year. Tom Cruise almost kills himself again for our entertainment and Henry Cavill's mustache launches a million memes.

Safe to say that the forums couldn't fight the friction. Congrats, MI Fallout, you are our #1 movie of the year

9537856-number-one-as-a-symbol-of-triump

USER REVIEWS

It's probably the best in the franchise. As a thriller, it's not as adept as the first, and maybe it doesn't lean quite as much into the personal stakes as MI3, but it's suitably ahead in most other aspects. The whole Paris stretch is incredible. The halo jump, the multiple chases in the streets, and the bathroom scene are all edge of your seat stuff, and while the climax doesn't quite reach that high of Paris, it's a more than worthy finale. It's a little long, and the number of who's on who's side will make your head spin a bit, but it's a fairly breezy 2hr and 27 minutes unlike other recent spy films of similar length.

Series ranking: 2 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2

I could flip a coin on 1 and 5 tbh. I just love Ilsa so much. @MrPink

Great action,  thoroughly entertaining and fast paced movie. Tom Cruise is fantastic. The best part of the movie is that it makes you care about the characters. Loved it. 

The last 3 MI movies have been fantastic. 

Rating: A+ @jb007

Loved it. In fact it betters Rogue Nation in every aspect. Chris seems to have taken MI series to peaks with this in terms of action sequences and set pieces. 

Amazing Cast filled with memorable performances. Tom Cruise is fucking insane...those stunts were truly amazing. Truly the best. 

Loved the scene where Julia meets Ethan for the first time (For real) and then  :( 

Must watch with family. Summer Blockbuster. My screening was filled with good number of families surprisingly! 

9/10 @John Rambo

Ok I'm just gonna go ahead and say this

Boy, the bathroom fight!! hnnnggggg

Finally a Hollywood fight done right! The last one was in 2003 with The Matrix Reloaded for god's sake! (Mad Max Fury Road doesn't count, it's like a continuous car chase for 2 hours :ph34r:)

Why does it work so well? Well this should come as a surprise to no one, but when you film a fight for 4 weeks, and it's brilliantly choreographed, what you get is a fucking classic! They went to the Hong Kong school of shooting fights -- schedule 4 days of filming for it, then realize it's taking weeks and just go "to hell with it, we want to make it good, it's gonna be good" and then produce a classic. It also helps that Christopher McQuarrie has got a great sense of geography when filming the action, which is a major component of making chaotic action scenes actually work.

Rest of the movie rocks btw, one of the best pure action movies to ever come out of Hollywood, at least in recent years that's for sure. The whole Paris sequence is mesmerizing.

I'm so, so glad the days of Paul Greengrass nauseating shaky cam nonsense seem to be mostly behind us.

Now if only the frenetic over-editing could go as well I'd be on cloud nine.

My rating: ★★★★½ @Daxtreme

• Like 14
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 3
  • ...wtf 4
  • Disbelief 2

2 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Hide contents

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT

9x9N050.png

Here it is. Our #1 movie of 2018. Well reviewed, well received by the audience and is well remembered at the end of the year. Tom Cruise almost kills himself again for our entertainment and Henry Cavill's mustache launches a million memes.

Safe to say that the forums couldn't fight the friction. Congrats, MI Fallout, you are our #1 movie of the year

9537856-number-one-as-a-symbol-of-triump

USER REVIEWS

It's probably the best in the franchise. As a thriller, it's not as adept as the first, and maybe it doesn't lean quite as much into the personal stakes as MI3, but it's suitably ahead in most other aspects. The whole Paris stretch is incredible. The halo jump, the multiple chases in the streets, and the bathroom scene are all edge of your seat stuff, and while the climax doesn't quite reach that high of Paris, it's a more than worthy finale. It's a little long, and the number of who's on who's side will make your head spin a bit, but it's a fairly breezy 2hr and 27 minutes unlike other recent spy films of similar length.

Series ranking: 2 > 6 > 1 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2

I could flip a coin on 1 and 5 tbh. I just love Ilsa so much. @MrPink

Great action,  thoroughly entertaining and fast paced movie. Tom Cruise is fantastic. The best part of the movie is that it makes you care about the characters. Loved it. 

The last 3 MI movies have been fantastic. 

Rating: A+ @jb007

Loved it. In fact it betters Rogue Nation in every aspect. Chris seems to have taken MI series to peaks with this in terms of action sequences and set pieces. 

Amazing Cast filled with memorable performances. Tom Cruise is fucking insane...those stunts were truly amazing. Truly the best. 

Loved the scene where Julia meets Ethan for the first time (For real) and then  :( 

Must watch with family. Summer Blockbuster. My screening was filled with good number of families surprisingly! 

9/10 @John Rambo

Ok I'm just gonna go ahead and say this

Boy, the bathroom fight!! hnnnggggg

Finally a Hollywood fight done right! The last one was in 2003 with The Matrix Reloaded for god's sake! (Mad Max Fury Road doesn't count, it's like a continuous car chase for 2 hours :ph34r:)

Why does it work so well? Well this should come as a surprise to no one, but when you film a fight for 4 weeks, and it's brilliantly choreographed, what you get is a fucking classic! They went to the Hong Kong school of shooting fights -- schedule 4 days of filming for it, then realize it's taking weeks and just go "to hell with it, we want to make it good, it's gonna be good" and then produce a classic. It also helps that Christopher McQuarrie has got a great sense of geography when filming the action, which is a major component of making chaotic action scenes actually work.

Rest of the movie rocks btw, one of the best pure action movies to ever come out of Hollywood, at least in recent years that's for sure. The whole Paris sequence is mesmerizing.

I'm so, so glad the days of Paul Greengrass nauseating shaky cam nonsense seem to be mostly behind us.

Now if only the frenetic over-editing could go as well I'd be on cloud nine.

My rating: ★★★★½ @Daxtreme

Image result for tom cruise laugh gif