filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2019

Well, Leonardo DiCaprio has a great shot to be nominated again this year for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

I'm really hesitant to suggest one of the actors from The Irishman because the actors from Silence failed to get nominations. But this one could be a different case. A return to form from Robert De Niro would be exciting enough to warrant it. We'll see.

Having Daniel Kaluuya get a second nomination for Queen & Slim would be exciting.

Adam Driver should be in the running for The Report.

I think Edward Norton getting a nomination for Motherless Brooklyn would cool because it would rejuvenate his career and add an extra layer of confidence towards the prospect of an Alita sequel.

Rocketman would have to gross very well if Taron Edgerton is going to get a nomination for a film from late May. But it would still be nice to see.

I want an actor from a foreign film to get a nomination this year, but I guess we'd have to wait until Cannes or something to know who that'd be.

Of course, there's Brad Pitt in Ad Astra. He should absolutely be in the conversation for that.

That's all I can infer for now.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, filmlover said:

An Anthony McCarten script has won Oscars for three of the last five Best Actor winners (including the two most recent ones) so a premature congrats on your Oscar, Jonathan Pryce (The Pope)!

Is that a Netflix film? It'd be the first time an acting winner has come from a Netflix film if I'm not mistaken. But I'm definitely all for a Jonathan Pryce win.

Seems like Taron Egerton is our first major contender with Rocketman getting better reviews than Bohemian Rhapsody and the movie almost certain to be a box office success (albeit not on that movie's level). Essentially locked for a Golden Globe nomination and could pick up SAG and BAFTA noms depending on the competition, but if I had to guess even if those scenarios were to play out he'd miss on the morning of nominations to someone in a stronger film.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, filmlover said:

Seems like Taron Egerton is our first major contender with Rocketman getting better reviews than Bohemian Rhapsody and the movie almost certain to be a box office success (albeit not on that movie's level). Essentially locked for a Golden Globe nomination and could pick up SAG and BAFTA noms depending on the competition, but if I had to guess even if those scenarios were to play out he'd miss on the morning of nominations to someone in a stronger film.

Having seen the movie....yeah, he's gonna be a Globe and done.

4 hours ago, TMP said:

DaFriend for Lighthouse?

I'm really eager to see which of Dafoe and Pattinson is Lead and which is Supporting. If Dafoe gets nominated in either category, it'll his third consecutive acting nomination since 2017. We'll see what happens.

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 8:56 PM, filmlover said:

Antonio Banderas nabbing a later career Oscar nom is something I can get behind. Should help that he has some industry goodwill right now with his Emmy and SAG noms for Genius: Picasso.

The first non-english oscar best actor nom since......................Javier Bardem in Biutiful? 

• Like 1

On 5/19/2019 at 3:10 AM, CoolioD1 said:

antonio banderas is getting great write-ups for the Almodovar movie that premiered at Cannes yesterday. one to look out for i think.

won best actor at cannes. the run starts here.

• Like 1

Shocked we haven't mentioned Tom Hanks, but also glad we haven't because I hear (based on people who have read the script) Rhys is lead and Hanks is supporting.  Also based on reactions from Cannes.  It seems Leo and Pitt could be co leads.  

1 hour ago, Avi Saks said:

Shocked we haven't mentioned Tom Hanks, but also glad we haven't because I hear (based on people who have read the script) Rhys is lead and Hanks is supporting.  Also based on reactions from Cannes.  It seems Leo and Pitt could be co leads.  

After all of his snubs this decade, it's really hard to bet on Hanks anymore heh.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

isn't Brad a lead in OUATIH too and singled out as the MVP? it's gonna be tough to fraud him into supporting. 

Apparently the both have about 2 full hours of screentime. If any of them is pushed to supporting it will be the fraud to end all frauds.