filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2019

4 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I'm not sure if Ledger would have won or would have even gotten nominated if he hadn't died. TDK is the film that changed the Academy, especially the backlash from the lack of BP nom. While Ledger's performance was great and worthy of the win, to the best of my knowledge no one in a CB movie ever got an acting nomination before. I do think though, Ledger winning has paved way the way for BP getting the nom last year and Phoenix having a very strong chance of winning actor this year.

There wss set buzz from other cast/crew from The Dark Knight about Heath maybe getting nominated, even before he died. Al Pacino got a Best Supporting Actor nomination for Dick Tracy, years earlier. A History of Violence got an acting nomination, Viggo Mortensen was considered a snub, and it's based on a graphic novel. Also, it wasn't comic book movie but Johnny Depp got a Best Actor nod with a summer action comedy based on a Disney theme park ride. He even won the SAG Award that year!

As for Heath, I doubt the Academy voters cared as much about making up for a TDK snub (after all, they were the very set of people who denied the movie in Best Picture) as much as they wanted to honor a respected young actor in what was basically their last chance, and the performance was strong, besides. Ledger was only 26 when he was nominated for Brokeback and the feeling then was like it always is with younger leading men, that winning Best Actor at that age is "too soon", but he was now in the club and would have plenty of time to give other great performances...

Anyway, Joaquin can probably win for a Joker movie that isn't a typical CBM, but it's still early and it's not like he's playing a real person, so the win isn't quite locked just yet. Just look at this category a year ago, the end result was definitely not what anyone expected last September...

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

5 hours ago, CloneWars said:

I'm not sure if Ledger would have won or would have even gotten nominated if he hadn't died. TDK is the film that changed the Academy, especially the backlash from the lack of BP nom. While Ledger's performance was great and worthy of the win, to the best of my knowledge no one in a CB movie ever got an acting nomination before. I do think though, Ledger winning has paved way the way for BP getting the nom last year and Phoenix having a very strong chance of winning actor this year.

Nah, he still would've won. Seriously, who else would have in that field? Hoffman had just won and his performance wasn't undeniable enough to justify another so soon. RDJ? Seems like a miracle he managed to pull of a nom for that movie/performance in the first place. Brolin was a coattail nom off of the Best Actor winner and a Best Picture nominee considering he missed both the Globes and BAFTA plus he was having a good run at the time between American Gangster and No Country for Old Men the year before (as well as W. that same year - nobody cared about the movie but he was praised for it). And then there's Shannon, who wasn't nominated anywhere beforehand but probably showed up on the morning of nominations since he made the most sense as the lone above-the-line nominee for a movie that was expected to be a major contender all year long and ended up falling through the cracks a bit (since clearly they didn't fall for that Winslet/Reader category fraud). There's really nothing that suggests he wouldn't have won even if he were still alive regardless of TDK underperforming, especially when he would've won if not for Hoffman (also RIP) three years prior.

• Like 2

I'm not buying the Joaquer winning yet - it's a performance already won for and its going to be divisive in a more easily recognized way than a Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book. I think he'll get nominated but this feels like Adam Driver's year to bring it home. Everything about Driver, from his huge hot streak to his personal likability to his weird character actor turned star persona, is begging to be rewarded.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cmasterclay said:

I'm not buying the Joaquer winning yet - it's a performance already won for and its going to be divisive in a more easily recognized way than a Bohemian Rhapsody or Green Book. I think he'll get nominated but this feels like Adam Driver's year to bring it home. Everything about Driver, from his huge hot streak to his personal likability to his weird character actor turned star persona, is begging to be rewarded.

without having seen either movie i know i'm just stoking the garbage fire but honestly low-key rooting for Driver to win just cause it'll piss off the fanboys.

i like them both so i don't mind who wins, but i'd give phoenix the edge right now just because it seems more showy and transformative, which is usually what wins. i guess the one recent win that's comparable to Driver's role would be Casey Affleck's, but casey affleck wasn't up against any "omg look how much weight this guy lost!" type performances.

• Like 4

On 9/14/2019 at 6:23 PM, CoolioD1 said:

i like them both so i don't mind who wins, but i'd give phoenix the edge right now just because it seems more showy and transformative, which is usually what wins. i guess the one recent win that's comparable to Driver's role would be Casey Affleck's, but casey affleck wasn't up against any "omg look how much weight this guy lost!" type performances.

That's what I thought until an hour ago when I heard audio leak of Driver's Be Alive performance from the movie. I've been sleeping on this one as a potential winner. It's a mind blowing performance. Reviews didn't oversell it. Big, big thing. So whichever wins I'm fine for both are massive talents. But yeah, after hearing this I'm not surprised Marriage Story sneaked into TIFF awards. Super emotionally resonant. 

3 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's what I thought until an hour ago when I heard audio leak of Driver's Be Alive performance from the movie. I've been sleeping on this one as a potential winner. It's a mind blowing performance. Reviews didn't oversell it. Big, big thing. So whichever wins I'm fine for both are massive talents. But yeah, after hearing this I'm not surprised Marriage Story sneaked into TIFF awards. Super emotionally resonant. 

oh ok, i didn't know you listened to an audio leak of a scene from the movie without any context, this changes everything.

you are exhausting. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

Is there any chance Song Kang-ho can get a nomination for Parasite? The film needs to keep building its momentum but clearly it's off to a promising start.

Never say never. Though he'd definitely get in for Supporting. Of course, both Lead and Supporting are pretty competitive this year.

On 10/15/2019 at 6:57 AM, Spaghetti said:

Is there any chance Song Kang-ho can get a nomination for Parasite? The film needs to keep building its momentum but clearly it's off to a promising start.

Both Actor and Supporting Actor seem a bit too crowded for it to happen. Best Actor already has an actor from a foreign film gunning for the nomination. My list for both:

Actor:

Adam Driver

Jonathan Pryce

Joaquin Phoenix

Robert De Niro

Antonio Banderas

Supp. Actor:

Brad Pitt

Al Pacino

Anthony Hopkins

Tom Hanks

John Lithgow

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm not sure Netflix will get 3 Actors in. One of Driver/DeNiro/Pryce could miss. 

You're right. All the other potential nominees have weak chances tho imo. I'll wait for sometime before replacing one of the Netflix actors.

I feel like people make the same mistake with Best Picture nominations (most predictions have 3 Netflix films and 3 Sony films in there).

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You're right. All the other potential nominees have weak chances tho imo. I'll wait for sometime before replacing one of the Netflix actors.

I feel like people make the same mistake with Best Picture nominations (most predictions have 3 Netflix films and 3 Sony films in there).

I think The Irishman and Marriage Story are easily the ones getting in among the Netflix titles (not feeling The Two Popes at the moment). As for the Sony titles we'll have to see what the box office numbers and overall reception to A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood and Little Women look like when they come out.