filmlover

Best Actor Predictions 2019

Also if Bale ends up nominated (looking like a good bet at this point) he will have begun the decade winning an Oscar and will close it with 4 additional nominations. Definitely gonna be one of the actors of the 2010s that everyone looks back on and marvels at what an impressive run they had during this period in the future.

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Also if Bale ends up nominated (looking like a good bet at this point) he will have begun the decade winning an Oscar and will close it with 4 additional nominations. Definitely gonna be one of the actors of the 2010s that everyone looks back on and marvels at what an impressive run they had during this period in the future.

He should have won over Malek last year, from the guys nominated. Ethan Hawke deserved to win but got shut out completely.

As of December 15:

Christian Bale, Ford v Ferrari

Antonio Banderas, Pain & Glory

Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood

Adam Driver, Marriage Story

Joaquin Phoenix, Joker

On the outside looking in:

Robert De Niro, The Irishman

Taron Egerton, Rocketman

Bale has a good shot but I remember even all the pre-SAG thinkpieces saying he might get a nomination there because they just love the due there, so I'm not locking him in or DiCaprio. I think people are underestimating Jonathan Pryce, playing Pope Francis in 1000 percent the kind of shit that the Academy has traditionally eaten up. Also, no one is campaigning harder and with more juice than Taron Egerton. I actually think, right now, Driver, Phoenix, Egerton, Pryce, and Banderas, but could easily see Leo/De Niro/Murphy/Bale getting in too.

I'm pretty sure the Comedy/Musical Globe is gonna come down to Leo or Taron and could honestly see it going to Taron, which might be enough to push him in if he wins and gives a super endearing speech (spoiler alert: he would) given voting will be closing two days later as a last minute surge. Granted winning that category didn't help James Franco two years ago (who won over eventual nominee Daniel Kaluuya), but I would think there's more a ton more respectability attached to an Elton John impersonation than a Tommy Wiseau one (and that's not even including his 11th hour scandal). It feels like there is destined to be a BIG snub in this category the morning of nominations more than the others.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1