filmlover

Best Actress Predictions 2019

So I'd say it's pretty safe to say that Cynthia Erivo will be a major contender for playing Harriet Tubman. (I don't know how they haven't gotten the idea to make such a film yet.)

Besides that, I don't know how this race is going to shake out, but I really want Alfre Woodard to get a nomination for the Sundance film Clemency. I don't have a reason for this other than that I think she would deserve it. The film doesn't have a distributor yet, but festival films get one eventually. I'm sure of that.

A24 already has two excellent potential candidates in Awkafina and Honor Swinton-Byrne for The Farewell and The Souvenir, respectively. The problem: their release dates are rather hasty; The Farewell comes out in July, while The Souvenir comes out even sooner in May. Perplexing decisions from two of the best Sundance films. A24 also has Julianne Moore for Gloria Bell, but that also an early release.

There are a BUNCH of biopics, notably Judy, which is about Judy Garland; it stars Renee Zellweger. So she's a likely candidate.

There are many actors and actresses in Little Women and people might suggest that it is more of an ensemble piece, but I'm sure one of those actresses has a shot at getting an Actress nomination. Florence Pugh would especially benefit from one.

Can't forget Amy Adams for The Woman in the Window, but the film sounds similar to stuff like Gone Girl and The Girl on the Train. If it's a brilliant film, she might have it.

I get the feeling that this might be the weakest year for the actress category since 2014.

That's all I can infer for now.

Edited by Slambros

Hollywood loves a comeback story and it's a meaty role so I think as long as the reviews for Judy are at least solid (as in My Week with Marilyn level) Renee should be good for a nomination provided everything goes right (not easy considering the late September release and the fact Roadside Attractions has been out of the race for years aside from Amazon titles they distributed - Manchester by the Sea, The Big Sick - but still). I'm certainly rooting for her.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

At this point right now, unless The Farewell completely bombs in its expansion, Awkwafina has to have a great chance at a nomination here, right? Especially since I'm pretty sure Erivo and Ronan are the only "safe" options atm

Yeah, I think Awkwafina is in a great position to be recognized. She's quickly becoming a sort of it-girl in Hollywood and there's a huge push for diversity right now, so there's a lot of things in her narrative for a nomination that are acting in her favor. I'm not worried about the film's box office because Crazy Rich Asians proved that there is an audience for ensembles with a majority-Asian cast.

9 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

At this point right now, unless The Farewell completely bombs in its expansion, Awkwafina has to have a great chance at a nomination here, right? Especially since I'm pretty sure Erivo and Ronan are the only "safe" options atm

A Golden Globe nomination is assured, at least.

SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!

SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!SCARLETT!

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Nobody's taking Black Widow from Scarlett, sorry Pugh. if there were such plans, her Oscar win's gonna change all that. :worthy:

Imagine how good it'd be for buzz if Johansson wins the Oscar three months before the release of the Black Widow film.

Edited by SLAM!