filmlover

Best Supporting Actress Predictions 2019

So almost all of the articles trying to predict the Oscars are suggesting that Margot Robbie has a shot for her role as Sharon Tate in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. And I'd believe it.

Ad Astra has Ruth Negga and Kimberly Elise so either of them could be in the conversation.

Little Women will likely have a competitor, one of which being Meryl Streep.

If the Academy falls head over heels for all the films Amazon got from Sundance, then Mindy Kaling might have a shot for Late Night. Annette Bening could use her overdue narrative to get a nomination for The Report.

I can't take credit for this idea, but Shuzhen Zhou could have a shot for playing the grandmother in The Farewell, but if Hong Chau couldn't get it for Downsizing, and if Michelle Yeoh couldn't get it for Crazy Rich Asians, then this idea is sent in flux. But it'd be nice to see.

A typically quiet early discussion for this category.

Edited by Slambros

It definitely feels like Margot Robbie could become unbeatable if the stars align completely for her and Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She just managed to almost get nominated for a no1curr movie, plus she'll be everywhere this time next year promoting Birds of Prey. Her Jennifer Lawrence/Emma Stone moment is coming up soon for sure.

• Like 3

I'm honestly not sure if Margot Robbie is going to gain traction for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She does an excellent job, but it's more of a caricature than a role, you know? She doesn't really do much in the film besides star in it. I could definitely see her getting snubbed come awards time.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:31 AM, SLAM! said:

I'm honestly not sure if Margot Robbie is going to gain traction for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. She does an excellent job, but it's more of a caricature than a role, you know? She doesn't really do much in the film besides star in it. I could definitely see her getting snubbed come awards time.

I think she might get nominated for that fox news movie instead. 

• Like 1

I can definitely see Robbie as a coattail nominee given that Leo and Brad are already getting nominated (in all likelihood) along with the movie itself, she provides a really warm presence with a hint of sadness considering Tate's real fate in all of her scenes (the scene at the box office where she's recognized from Valley of the Dolls will be her clip for sure), and the industry clearly likes her (between an Oscar nom two years ago and SAG and BAFTA noms last year). Doubt she'll win though.

• Like 1

BREAKING NEWS! Taylor Russell is getting raves for Waves and I'm gonna try to stan her into the line-up. I believed in TR since Escape Room. Please AMPAS nominate TR. Guys, this is a major talent and beauty. Don't sleep on her just because she isn't hyped yet. TR is coming, board the train.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

BREAKING NEWS! Taylor Russell is getting raves for Waves and I'm gonna try to stan her into the line-up. I believed in TR since Escape Room. Please AMPAS nominate TR. Guys, this is a major talent and beauty. Don't sleep on her just because she isn't hyped yet. TR is coming, board the train.

Believe it or not, I've actually seen Taylor Russell in person. The yet-to-be-released Words on Bathroom Walls was being shot in my hometown, and my dad enlisted me to help cater with the catering company one night. I was handling drinks and was worried about whether the water cups were safe to drink out of--it's a long story, and I was probably just being a worrywart.

So when Taylor Russell is standing in front of me with AnnaSophia Robb, Charlie Plummer, and Devon Bowstick, I don't really process that they are well-known actors that I've heard of before. And I don't process that Walton Goggins and Molly Parker are well-known actors either. It was only when I looked up the casting information after that night that I figured out who they were.

Safe to say, I've decided to root for the success of all those actors because of that moment. So I, too, am ecstatic that Taylor Russell is receiving raves for a performance! I had previously only seen her in Lost in Space, and I'm really happy that she might be hitting the bigtime sooner than later! Let's hope she's nominated!

Edited by SLAM!
  • Like 1

On 9/2/2019 at 1:36 PM, Valonqar said:

Yes, because BOT users stanning actresses is an incredibly reliable metric for Academy support

I think Hustlers' box office will be a sign of whether or not the campaign could hold traction, but I have to be honest, I don't think the Supporting Actress category is all that competitive this time around. There are many candidates but few heavy hitters. Based on this, if the hype surrounding Lopez remains this rapturous, I could see her becoming a lock with how weak the field is. Heck, even The Laundromat, Meryl Streep's supporting vehicle, doesn't seem like it's going to go anywhere (thank goodness, I'd love to see others get nominated).

8 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Laura Dern, Marriage Story

Jennifer Lopez, Hustlers

Florence Pugh, Little Women

Taylor Russell, Waves

Zhao Shuzen, The Farewell

Fixed. Love Margot but I'm stanning Taylor and think people sleep on her movie. It's seen and praised while Bombshell is still unknown.

That said, lets pray Streep doesn't make it in any category.