MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

28 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

I don 't thiink Disney will give Warner another Christmas so let s see how this turns out.

Disney didn't give WB last christmas. They were very confident that Mary Poppins would destroy Aquaman. They did not at all predict the utter failure that Mary Poppins became. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

Edited by LordNox
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Disney didn't give WB last christmas. They were very confident that Mary Poppins would destroy Aquaman. They did not at all predict the utter failure that Mary Poppins became. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

The point remains, Aquabro will have to face a big Disney film.

21 minutes ago, LordNox said:

Aquaman isn't exactly an underdog anymore. It can pretty much compete with any MCU film except for the Avengers. Especially overseas.

I would love to see yet another overconfidently overpredicted Disney film being fileted by a film starring Aquabro. It's the kind of thing that gives studios a reality check.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LordNox said:

Was it not more a bit of a perfect case of aiming significantly different audience ? Leg pattern being so different support the notion they were not much competition to each other.

Opening weekend demo looked like this:

Aquaman

Exits were huge per PostTrak, with Aquaman earning 5 stars from kids and parents, who made up 15% of the audience last night, and 4 stars from overall audiences who repped 85%. Biggest draws were in order: Males 25+ (35%), Males 25- (27%), Females 25+ (21%), Females 25- (17%). Diversity demos were 40% Caucasian, 23% Hispanic, 19% African American and 12% Asian. Females over 25 loved Aquaman the most at 85% positive (mmmm, maybe for Jason Momoa?). Definite recommend here is a solid 69%. Again PostTrak polls throughout the weekend, so these demos will adjust.

Poppins

She has an A- CinemaScore and 4 stars on PostTrak, with females 25+ leading the way at 45% (they love the movie the most at 89% positive), followed by men 25+ at 28% (85% positive). General audiences are making up 67% of the crowd, families 33%. Diversity demos are 67% Caucasian, 16% Hispanic, 7% Asian and 6% African-American.

Aquaman vs Poppins

62% Male for Aquaman versus 63% female for Poppins

Over 25: 56% for Aquaman vs 73% Poppins

40% Caucasian for Aquaman vs 67% Caucasian for Poppins

Almost perfect opposite (for giant movies that are never really that niche) has it get, I am not sure hurting competition for those 2 movies ever entered their mind.

• Like 1

I mean, 4 years used to be the standard for sequels, no? It was just recently moved to 3 years.

Though 4 years is a LONG time. But they're releasing Batman and Suicide Squad in the last 7 months of 2021, so I'm not sure putting Aquaman a few months after SS2 is a good idea. (I could see SS2 moving to October 2021)

I think the biggest concern for DC is the year gap between WW2 and Batman. You'd think they'd want something around February 2021.

50 minutes ago, ChipMunky said:

I mean, 4 years used to be the standard for sequels, no? It was just recently moved to 3 years.

Though 4 years is a LONG time. But they're releasing Batman and Suicide Squad in the last 7 months of 2021, so I'm not sure putting Aquaman a few months after SS2 is a good idea. (I could see SS2 moving to October 2021)

I think the biggest concern for DC is the year gap between WW2 and Batman. You'd think they'd want something around February 2021.

I imagine with BP2 possibly being in February 2021, they likely won’t risk it. 

It's a shorter period between Lego Movie 1 and 2 but yeah...whatever, we'll see.

I understand the production schedules are probably far different (and the DCEU is not co-financed by a Chinese movie studio), but it's amazing how the Monsterverse movies come out relatively quickly (Hell, they just release faster and faster and are still semi-okayish ), and other WB franchises take ages to get a second entry.

• Like 1

4 years is not a long time.

Sitting down for an extended chat at the The British Academy of Film and Television Arts in London, Christopher Nolan reflected on “The Dark Knight” trilogy, which stands as one of the towering achievements in the superhero genre. Moreover, he notes one key ingredient to the success he had with the films — time.

“That’s a privilege and a luxury that filmmakers aren’t afforded anymore. I think it was the last time that anyone was able to say to a studio, ‘I might do another one, but it will be four years’. There’s too much pressure on release schedules to let people do that now but creatively it’s a huge advantage. We had the privilege and advantage to develop as people and as storytellers and then bring the family back together,” Nolan explained.

https://theplaylist.net/christopher-nolan-advantage-dark-knight-20171204/

• Like 2

I hope the wait doesnt impact the box office.Also Avatar from Disney will be huge and will somewhat take away the appeal of Aquaman.Plus there are three of those coming.

Im reasonably certain The trench or some other aqua verse movie will happen.Just hope its good.I would say garth as a movie I would want but thats probably better of left for the titans tv stuff. Actually just get momoa and some other leaguer on a movie before AQ2 that would be fun.

• Like 1

Good decision to wait until they were able to stake out a December release date for the sequel. 4 years is a little long but it's good they ain't rushing it plus perhaps this Trench movie will come beforehand to wet the appetite. 

RIP to Star Wars films in December though thanks to Disney's dumb decisions lol

It can still move. The date doesn't really matter for now, especially since this doesn't have a director yet. I really hope Wan returns so in this respect a 4-year gap is a good thing, it lets him do other things in his busy schedule.

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 2