MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

Not sure if that counts as confirmation for Wan's return, since the article has a lot of rumors and gossip. Still, it is Variety:

DC is also looking to capitalize on the box office success of “Aquaman.” It is currently looking for a director for “The Trench,” a spinoff about a group of vicious undersea creatures who played a supporting role in “Aquaman.” For the next film centered on Jason Momoa’s king of Atlantis, DC has once again tapped James Wan and is hoping to commence shooting in early 2021.

Just now, MrGlass2 said:

Not sure if that counts as confirmation for Wan's return, since the article has a lot of rumors and gossip. Still, it is Variety:

That was one of the worst articles I have read in a trade tbh. Mainly because it was so much speculation included in it that after a point it became impossible to say what they knew for sure and what was speculation.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, lorddemaxus said:

I have a hard time believing they won't get Wan for the sequel.

He will be involved for sure, I just fear that he could move to a producer/"shepherd" role like he has done for his horror series. And he is extremely busy; but hopefully he will direct one sequel at least - so much potential.

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

He will be involved for sure, I just fear that he could move to a producer/"shepherd" role like he has done for his horror series. And he is extremely busy; but hopefully he will direct one sequel at least - so much potential.

I really don't see that happening considering how big the last one was. I think he's gonna stick with Aquaman for a while before moving on. 

12 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

He will direct the sequel, but the Trench spinoff and maybe Aquaman 3 might have a different director. Wan always does the first and second movies of his franchises, he did Insidious 2 and Conjuring 2. The only one he didn't was when Lionsgate decided to make Saw a yearly thing.

I think WB will blink and this will move for sure. WB capitalized in 2018 when there was no Star Wars in December so it worked out for them. Unfortunately, starting in 2021 there is either going to be an Avatar film or Star Wars film every December until 2027 at least.

I think, if it can be made ready in time, it should be moved forward to Summer 2022. WB currently has an event film scheduled for July 15 but there's supposedly a Marvel film coming July 29 so I think June 24 would actually be perfect. There's currently nothing on that date and it comes well after Black Panther 2 (May 6) and a good month and a bit before said Marvel film. Also, it comes exactly a year after The Batman releases on June 25, 2021.

26 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I think WB will blink and this will move for sure. WB capitalized in 2018 when there was no Star Wars in December so it worked out for them. Unfortunately, starting in 2021 there is either going to be an Avatar film or Star Wars film every December until 2027 at least.

I think, if it can be made ready in time, it should be moved forward to Summer 2022. WB currently has an event film scheduled for July 15 but there's supposedly a Marvel film coming July 29 so I think June 24 would actually be perfect. There's currently nothing on that date and it comes well after Black Panther 2 (May 6) and a good month and a bit before said Marvel film. Also, it comes exactly a year after The Batman releases on June 25, 2021.

This will definitely be out earlier, as I've always thought it would, especially if starts filming by mid 2020.  WB just gave it a wide berth to give themselves space in nailing down a script/story...since it's definitely one of the things that can/should be improved from the first one.  But it sounds like they're confident in it, already.  All that remains is working out Wan's commitment/schedule.  I'm no fan of the first movie, but there is obviously potential here to only get better, because there are some beautiful visual aesthetics established, at least...in spare moments. 

And WB will want to beat Avatar underwater, if they can... even though Cameron will probably show everyone up (whenever it arrives), as usual. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

Star Wars isn’t Locked for that December date I’d say, I’m sure they don’t even know exactly what film it is even going to be 

9 hours ago, JB33 said:

Why should Aquaman blink? Christmas worked great for it last time, and it’s larger than every non-Skywalker Saga SW movie. If anything, wouldn’t it be SW who would blink and move away from Aquaman?

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally don’t see it moving.

Star Wars is not as big as it used to be, and the Skywalker saga is over. The December release for Aquaman worked really well, and with the FIFA World Cup ending on the weekend of release, Warner Bros. could have the golden opportunity to market the film during the games.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Star Wars isn’t Locked for that December date I’d say, I’m sure they don’t even know exactly what film it is even going to be 

It's clear that "Star Wars" isn't locked, period.  The brand is totally in flux, as far as big-screen films go. 

Based on their amount of hirings and firings over the past few years, I don't put much stock in any announcements Kennedy/Disney makes about release dates.

It's dramatic how you guys think WB should move it because of Star Wars lmao both films will smash and there is a big chance to Aquaman outgross SW. The December release for the first film worked really well and they will stay with it. There is nothing to be scared of.

They even just announced Black Adam one week before Avatar 2, and yall think they will move the date to avoid... Star Wars?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Why should Aquaman blink? Christmas worked great for it last time, and it’s larger than every non-Skywalker Saga SW movie. If anything, wouldn’t it be SW who would blink and move away from Aquaman?

I don't think so because I believe Disney/Lucasfilm has that confidence (or downright arrogance) to stick with it. As big as Aquaman was, I believe a sequel opening alongside a Star Wars film would do what it looks like the Jumanji sequel is going to do and that's come way down from the first. AM capitalized on being THE event film of Christmas and Jumanji capitalized on the TLJ backlash (Otherwise, why in the world would a hit like Jumanji be tracking so low, relatively speaking of course?). 

That's just my opinion of course. Aquaman 2 could very well be just as big as, if not bigger than, the first one even when released alongside another event film and I'm completely underrating it.