MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

7 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

next SW movie is unknown. No need for WB to do anything. Just make a good movie and market it. I think more than one movie can thrive during holidays anyway. There could be some impact in terms of getting Imax/PLF screens, so domestically Aquaman could have small impact and OS SW will be hit.

I don't necessarily think WB would or should do anything now. I just mean at some point (maybe late 2021 or something) when more is known about the Star Wars film we might see some changes.

I may be overrating SW but I think you guys are all underrating it too. WAY too much overreaction to the online TLJ/Solo discourse around these parts(not saying the discontent was limited to just the internet, but that's where the really loud, toxic discourse is. Everyone else moved on.). Also way too much stock put into ONE DC movie that benefited from being the go-to Christmas time movie. SW has far more clout as a brand, despite popular predictions of its demise.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't necessarily think WB would or should do anything now. I just mean at some point (maybe late 2021 or something) when more is known about the Star Wars film we might see some changes.

I may be overrating SW but I think you guys are all underrating it too. WAY too much overreaction to the online TLJ/Solo discourse around these parts(not saying the discontent was limited to just the internet, but that's where the really loud, toxic discourse is. Everyone else moved on.). Also way too much stock put into ONE DC movie that benefited from being the go-to Christmas time movie. SW has far more clout as a brand, despite popular predictions of its demise.

But that wont be part of skywalker saga and dont forget how Solo went. Plus if its directed by Rian Johnson, I think fanbase could be put off. Plus Aquaman was a global blockbuster. Most markets it will beat SW9. So its not all one way street.

That said I want both these movies to succeed, so let us hope for the best.

45 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I don't think so because I believe Disney/Lucasfilm has that confidence (or downright arrogance) to stick with it. As big as Aquaman was, I believe a sequel opening alongside a Star Wars film would do what it looks like the Jumanji sequel is going to do and that's come way down from the first. AM capitalized on being THE event film of Christmas and Jumanji capitalized on the TLJ backlash (Otherwise, why in the world would a hit like Jumanji be tracking so low, relatively speaking of course?). 

That's just my opinion of course. Aquaman 2 could very well be just as big as, if not bigger than, the first one even when released alongside another event film and I'm completely underrating it.

I’m just not sold that a non-Skywalker entry is actually an EVENT film. I mean they’ve averaged like 700M WW, and the first was coming when the franchise was much hotter than currently. CBM sequels are the best at bucking the sequel drops too, though I expect AQM2 down from 1 to some degree.

Edited by Arendelle Legion
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

uh, I am guessing this movie has nothing to worry about when it comes to its release date

I think it’s fine either way, even if a new Star Wars movie comes out, but I thought that before rots released. 

24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I can't wait for this! My most anticipated SH movie! Wanna know how's Manta going to fuck up Aquaman's life. I fear either Tom or Atlana is a goner. :whosad:Most likely Atlana so that Orm has a reason to return. 

I hope it’s Mera so Amber Heard is kicked out of the franchise 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 11:12 PM, Macleod said:

This will definitely be out earlier, as I've always thought it would, especially if starts filming by mid 2020.  WB just gave it a wide berth to give themselves space in nailing down a script/story...since it's definitely one of the things that can/should be improved from the first one.  But it sounds like they're confident in it, already.  All that remains is working out Wan's commitment/schedule.  I'm no fan of the first movie, but there is obviously potential here to only get better, because there are some beautiful visual aesthetics established, at least...in spare moments. 

And WB will want to beat Avatar underwater, if they can... even though Cameron will probably show everyone up (whenever it arrives), as usual. 

Of course in an alternate reality Cameron made "Aquaman"...…...

But Star Wars is no longer quite as feared as it once was. I think studios are now more willing to take it on in the Holiday season.

Edited by dudalb

The first movie was the most spectacular super hero movie I ve seen.

Best directing.

Best epic action.

Best World Building.

Incredible VFX work.

James Wan just knocked it out of the park.

This movie is a sensory overload that just soothes me.

And Momoa gave his all in the role, convincing a detractor I once was.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

I’ve known that Amber Heard was a ticking time bomb for two years now. Back when I was waiting for the first Aquaman movie, I kept wondering if Amber Heard’s scandal with Depp would blow up in her face and impact the film’s release. Turns out it didn’t then, but now that the scandal officially has blown up in her face, this creates an interesting conundrum for the sequel.

The simplest option would be to just recast her, but movies don’t really seem to do that anymore, at least not for characters with human faces. Sure, the MCU recast Rhodey and Bruce Banner and TDK recast Rachel, but that was a different point in Hollywood. The landscape has changed since then. Personally, I’d prefer if they just not include Mera in the sequel at all. Maybe use the animated midquel as a way of writing the character out of the story.