MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

Haven’t even seen the first one, but this trailer almost makes me want to see it. The opening should be large enough, and 3x the 5-day over Christmas can happen even with middling reception, so I feel like 260 is a good number domestically. Internationally, who knows.

I don't think y'all take into account that this will over-index big time with an underepresented demographic: moms.

Jokes aside, it's gonna be ugly if this makes less than Black Adam. I mean, even making Black Adam money won't be any good either. I'm willing to bet for higher now (~$200m dom and in the $500ms range ww) but yea.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, toutvabien said:

I don't think y'all take into account that this will over-index big time with an underepresented demographic: moms.

Jokes aside, it's gonna be ugly if this makes less than Black Adam. I mean, even making Black Adam money won't be any good either. I'm willing to bet for higher now (~$200m dom and in the $500ms range ww) but yea.

If this makes Black Adam numbers then the future of non-Batman DC movies is probably DOA. Wonder Woman and Aquaman were two of the DCEU’s biggest bright spots at the box office and they already dropped the ball with Wonder Wonder 1984. But I do think 500+ is very achievable.

9 minutes ago, Speedorito said:

If this makes Black Adam numbers then the future of non-Batman DC movies is probably DOA. Wonder Woman and Aquaman were two of the DCEU’s biggest bright spots at the box office and they already dropped the ball with Wonder Wonder 1984. But I do think 500+ is very achievable.

Why would this movie failing have any bearing on Superman Legacy at all? 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, martin said:

Can u also lower ur hating mentality ?

I’m not the one making sub-400 or sub-Black Adam predictions. I literally said that I dont believe it’s going to have a gigantic drop. But I don’t think it’s a hating mentality to say that the future of DC doesn’t look bright if the audience for its highest grossing movie completely evaporates, especially when none of the other movies (outside Batman) have done decently.

4 hours ago, toutvabien said:

This is joke but I actually witnessed significantly more older ladies show up in my showtimes over the holidays for the first film (and its not even America)

Edited by NamakFiskKa
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

Excellent trailer. Looks exactly like the first but bigger in scale and improved effects, which is definitely not easy.

I believe in the tests, but that's something that has happening in the last... 10 years for Wan? Including the first movie. Idk we just need to see it.

The horror elements and Black Manta are the hook for me. I like when villains are villains so if Manta kills Aquababy and his dad would be great. Can't wait. And they should start doing more marketing bc their highest gross deserves it!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

I wonder if the VFX work is so complex that it’s the reason for both the poor early screening reports and the super late marketing on WBd part? Maybe they’re literally just starting to get it all together. If people were seeing a version of this without the spectacle looking very finished, I’m sure it would be pretty underwhelming. Again, what did the first movie ever have going for it besides that?

Wan made clear on the first movie that he would only release the trailer when the vfx was done, so people would have a bigger picture on how the movie looked like. And it was released in mid July. 

I really think that was the case too, BUT it had several reshoots so they were probably choosing the final version so they would have any idea of what to show.