MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

1 minute ago, dallas said:

Both movies received the same Cinemascore, and LTBC even had better reviews than the first. Don't know where this is coming from, but it's wrong. 

Not the Venom 3 thread but Venom 2 had a worse multiplier than Venom 1 (2.6 vs 2.3) with a bigger OW. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Not the Venom 3 thread but Venom 2 had a worse multiplier than Venom 1 (2.6 vs 2.3) with a bigger OW. 

To add to this, it has lower audience scores on both Letterboxd and Rotten Tomatoes then Venom 1 as well. 

2 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Which makes sense considering Venom 1 released 2018 when theaters were nearing their peak whereas Venom 2 released in 2021 when theaters were on a decline.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dallas said:

So given good WOM in China, is it possible for Aquaman to end up doing more than its projected $32M total?

That 32m is too low to begin with. And now with the way OD is going, $30m 5 days OW seem very doable. Should be able to finish right around Oppenheimer’s total of $60-65m. 80% drop from the original. 

1 minute ago, titanic2187 said:

That 32m is too low to begin with. And now with the way OD is going, $30m 5 days OW seem very doable. Should be able to finish right around Oppenheimer’s total of $60-65m. 80% drop from the original. 

Yeah that's what I was thinking. But I guess the initial $32M estimate was fair given the uncertainty surrounding this movie. At least we know now that China likes it. Looking like a $4.8-5M OD at the moment. 

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Whatever helps you cope.

I mean, if you seriously look at the state of the box office in 2018 and 2021 and think they're comparable, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Its not like Venom 2 did all that terrible anyway. A decrease from the first, yes, but $500M+ and finishing in 7th worldwide isn't bad. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'd add Aquaman 1, Shazam 1, the Snyder Cut and The Suicide Squad to that list. Only 5 truly great movies out of 12 (I have no plans to touch the original Suicide Squad and Josstice League, and Aquaman 2 is not out here at the time of writing) is not a good run to say the least. The Snyder Cut was the perfect sendoff to this franchise for me, and everything afterwards feels like expensive fanfiction to me. I wonder if anyone else feels this way.

I actually agree that the Snyder Cut was probably the perfect way to end this universe, for oh so many reasons. 

Finally seeing the full unaltered vision for this universe of the guy who started it all really should have wrapped up this universe.

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Reminiscing on the DCEU, it’s got a ton of misses but also some pretty solid entries. Man of Steel I will defend forever I think it’s great. Wonder Woman is awesome, as is Shazam 1. Birds of Prey is fun, as is TSS. I even argue that, VFX aside, The Flash is a great movie (mostly due to its script). Although Flash feels like it would have been a much better “end” to the DCEU since it sorta ended where it began.

Batfleck was a good choice, Cavill was born to play Superman, Gadot is a great Wonder Woman and Momoa killed it as Aquaman. And Robbie as Harley obviously.

There were so many movies to like, enjoy or even love in this universe, it’s crazy how so many people mistake controversial for hated. Or rather, many movies were hated by many but also loved by many, but I guess it’s easier to focus on the hate.

A lot of genuinely good CBMs that came out from this universe also get buried by being connected to this very controversial universe, which is a pity.

None of Wonder Woman, Aquaman 1, The Suicide Squad, Shazam 1 and Blue Beetle have any reasons to be hated beyond being connected to the rest. 

Even the most controversial ones have lots of people who really really enjoy them.

In the end, a lot of bad decisions just buried the good with the bad.

RIP

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, dallas said:

I mean, if you seriously look at the state of the box office in 2018 and 2021 and think they're comparable, then I don't know what to tell you. 

Its not like Venom 2 did all that terrible anyway. A decrease from the first, yes, but $500M+ and finishing in 7th worldwide isn't bad. 

The big difference between the two is their overseas revenue. Domestically the second movie finished neck and neck with the first, but the overseas revenue took a pretty big dip for obvious reasons. Honestly, for a sequel to a film that wasn't very well received and was artifically propped up by the goodwill of Infinity War, that's not a bad result in the slightest. The studios behind Ninja Turtles 2 and Alice 2 would kill for a result like that.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

I actually agree that the Snyder Cut was probably the perfect way to end this universe, for oh so many reasons. 

Finally seeing the full unaltered vision for this universe of the guy who started it all really should have wrapped up this universe.

There were so many movies to like, enjoy or even love in this universe, it’s crazy how so many people mistake controversial for hated. Or rather, many movies were hated by many but also loved by many, but I guess it’s easier to focus on the hate.

A lot of genuinely good CBMs that came out from this universe also get buried by being connected to this very controversial universe, which is a pity.

None of Wonder Woman, Aquaman 1, The Suicide Squad, Shazam 1 and Blue Beetle have any reasons to be hated beyond being connected to the rest. 

Even the most controversial ones have lots of people who really really enjoy them.

In the end, a lot of bad decisions just buried the good with the bad.

RIP

What's frustrating is that WB decided to alienate the fans who loved the controversial Snyder films, distanced the DCEU from his films, and yet there was no support for it, the franchise collapsed at the box office, and now the people WB tried so hard to please are celebrating the franchise's demise. It kinda feels like there was this toy that was so precious for a lot of us, that some other kids didn't enjoy, and they decided to destroy it only so everyone would end up miserable without a toy to play with.