MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

The trailer doesn't seem significantly worse than the trailers for the first film but pretty much everything else surrounding this film has changed since 2017. 

Personally I've watched JM since Stargate Atlantis but even if this wasn't a lame duck movie of an ending universe, I probably wouldn't rush out and see it for the same reason I haven't rushed out to see anything CBM related except GOTG3. 

OTOH it seems surreal that this is likely going to be the 2nd film within 2 months to go from over $billion to bomb in 6 weeks. 

9 minutes ago, Bumblebee said:

The trailer doesn't seem significantly worse than the trailers for the first film but pretty much everything else surrounding this film has changed since 2017. 

Personally I've watched JM since Stargate Atlantis but even if this wasn't a lame duck movie of an ending universe, I probably wouldn't rush out and see it for the same reason I haven't rushed out to see anything CBM related except GOTG3. 

OTOH it seems surreal that this is likely going to be the 2nd film within 2 months to go from over $billion to bomb in 6 weeks. 

FIve years is an eternity when it comes to the tastes of film audiences. They can decide they have had enough of a certain type of film overnight.

That is the problem with the Aqua2 trailers; it comes off to the GA like just more of the same, and they have enough. of the same.

Edited by dudalb

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

FIve years is an eternity when it comes to the tastes of film audiences.

And a pandemic. Also unrelated but it's quite interesting how Into the Spider-Verse only made ~16.5% of Captain Marvel + Aquaman ($375M vs $2.276B) but now Across the Spider-Verse will annihilate both of their sequels combined ($690M vs ~$450M).

8 minutes ago, dudalb said:

FIve years is an eternity when it comes to the tastes of film audiences. They can decide they have had enough of a certain type of film overnight.

That is the problem with the Aqua2 trailers; it comes off to the GA like just more of the same, and they have enough. of the same.

I agree, that's what I was getting at with "everything else has changed". I said in the Marvel thread that 4 years plus dozens of other projects and a post pandemic world was part of that problem and it's almost exactly the same here...

I think with AM1 no one really expected it to be good so it was surprising when it was enjoyable and the underwater setting made it stand out. Now that is old hat. 

Two movies that made $1billion 4-5 years ago and their sequels have become one of the biggest bombs in history or are about to. Car crash fascinating. Not something I'm happy about but I hope the studios learn the right lessons. And I know that's a vain hope. 

2 hours ago, DInky said:

I'm legitimately wondering how bad could the movie possibly be.

Doesn’t mean that much beyond “it’s meh” 

The Nun 2 have the same type of embargo and ended up with 55% on RT (it even ended up fresh with top critics)

I can see Aquaman 2 being a panned 28% or just a normal 52% mixed easily with this embargo date 

15 minutes ago, Super said:

Wasn’t the first Aquaman’s embargo weeks after it already played in China? 

Yes, the first movie had mixed reviews as well

Really don’t know why after a whole year of reports of problems people are surprised WB is dumping this and hiding it, especially now that people are tired of SH movies

33 minutes ago, Super said:

Wasn’t the first Aquaman’s embargo weeks after it already played in China? 

Aquaman (2018) social media and review embargo dates announced

The first social media reactions were released on Monday, November 26th, at 2pm PT, while the full reviews were released on Tuesday, December 11th, at 11 am PT.

Aquaman 2’s review and social media embargoes being lifted not just hours before the first shows in the US but when the film is already playing in a handful of markets is more than enough confirmation that WB/DC have very little confidence 

Edited by Megajohn01
Added more info
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

This is maybe the most "Movie is dead before it even opened"-Movie all year. The Flash and Indy 5 had some actual hype attached to them, The Marvels atleast had some people believing it could do ok numbers before the epic bombage began, but this movie ...

This movie is

fisch-knochen-vektor-symbol.jpg?s=612x61