MrGlass2

Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom | December 22, 2023 | David Leslie Johnson-McGoldrick (co-writer of first film) returns

I will forever defend the first movie, i still think it is the most pure fun-nonsense CBM of the 2010s and as a comedy and kind-of parody of the whole genre, it works really well.

That said, i have 0 interest in the sequel. And that has not even really something to do with the film itself, but im just personally done with the superhero genre as a whole.

• Like 3
  • Astonished 1

11 hours ago, Brainbug said:

I will forever defend the first movie, i still think it is the most pure fun-nonsense CBM of the 2010s and as a comedy and kind-of parody of the whole genre, it works really well.

That said, i have 0 interest in the sequel. And that has not even really something to do with the film itself, but im just personally done with the superhero genre as a whole.

I feel like you've just described the general audience :hahaha:

Edited by HummingLemon496

20 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I'm sorta in the same boat (the first is a top 10 CBM for me lol) and I was so hyped for this sequel initially but now I'm lukewarm. Partially fatigue and partially me worried they've cut down/reshot all the zany bonkers stuff I wanna see.

#1 problem here is that they waited too long to make this movie.  Should have been made as soon as possible following the first.  Then they wouldn't have been caught up in this windstorm of superhero-fatigue that will likely derail the genre for a few years...until the "next great thing" comes along.  The behind-the-scenes troubles don't sound like anything that doesn't already plague most studio blockbusters these days. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 4

I think a lot of stuff like Invincible or Loki is only popular in online space. For example, Samba never released any concrete numbers for Loki S2 and that only happened with Andor before. Based on data available Loki S2 probably premiered with 1.3-1.5M households (S1 - 2.5M). Invincible, I swear I've heard more about it during that 2-year pause between seasons than now when S2 is finally out.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Alexander said:

I think a lot of stuff like Invincible or Loki is only popular in online space. For example, Samba never released any concrete numbers for Loki S2 and that only happened with Andor before. Based on data available Loki S2 probably premiered with 1.3-1.5M households (S1 - 2.5M). Invincible, I swear I've heard more about it during that 2-year pause between seasons than now when S2 is finally out.

Even loki season 2 I find that substantially less people talked about it around me (either online or real world) compared to season 1 two years ago.

• Like 2

Aquaman managed to make a billion after Justice League flopped and multiple films had very poor reception. It wasn't like Captain Marvel which was ultra carried by Infinity War/Endgame hype.

So the only explanation for the second film (potentially) dropping $850M+ from the original is that people are finally getting sick of superhero movies. Fucking Quantumania managed to torpedo an entire genre 💀. Marvel and DC. Even freaking Guardians was looking DOA until absolutely great reception saved it big time. So basically audiences are done with superheroes after watching Quantumania, Shazam 2, The Flash, Blue Beetle, and The Marvels (with assistance from Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, and Black Adam) which all got B's or B+'s on CinemaScore meaning audience reception was meh/bad.

Edited by HummingLemon496
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

Aquaman managed to make a billion after Justice League flopped and multiple films had very poor reception. It wasn't like Captain Marvel which was ultra carried by Infinity War/Endgame hype.

So the only explanation for the second film (potentially) dropping $850M+ from the original is that people are finally getting sick of superhero movies. Fucking Quantumania managed to torpedo an entire genre 💀. Marvel and DC. Even freaking Guardians was looking DOA until absolutely great reception saved it big time. So basically audiences are done with superheroes after watching Quantumania, Shazam 2, The Flash, Blue Beetle, and The Marvels (with assistance from Multiverse of Madness, Love and Thunder, and Black Adam) which all got B's or B+'s on CinemaScore meaning audience reception was meh/bad.

It still has a chance if the movie is really good, which, sadly, doesn't seem to be the case based on what ViewerAnon heard from test screenings. 

6 hours ago, HummingLemon496 said:

I think anything less than an A is indeed meh for MCU (so, not disagreeing with you), but not necessarily meh for anything else (HS BOSS pricing just that, for example. Turning it back to superhero movies, I’m always amazed by how many great superhero movies are stuck with a B+- CS together with some real duds.

Giving B ratings to stuff like MIB, V for Vendetta, X-Men:First Class, Joker, and Hellboy 2 (among others) ought to be a crime! 

22 hours ago, SpiderByte said:

I really don't think the idea that audiences hates supeheroes lines up with stuff like Guardians The Boys, Invincible, Gen V etc. Loki also was just very well received with its series finale. I think it's just more choosy.

To be fair, The Boys, Invincible and Gen V are subversions for the superhero genre at some level. 

That said, Guardians of Galaxy 3 shows there is still interest, but people are more cautious.

People keep saying Invincible is like a satire or parody of superheroes and it...really isn't? Omni-Man also being secretly a bad guy doesn't make him like Homelander. Marks story is very much a traditional superhero type story and world, aside from the gore. Those aren't negatives, by the way. It's very different than say The Boys which is set in a world far more openly cynical about superheroes.

Edited by SpiderByte
  • Like 2