charlie Jatinder

Weekend Thread (3/1/2019 - 3/3/2019) - Weekend Estimates - Page 19.

HTTYD 3 did not have the same audience makeup as other animated sequels...it definitely skewed to an slightly older audience...so, it should have a slightly larger drop than an animated sequel...

https://pro.boxoffice.com/weekend-box-office-how-to-train-your-dragon-fighting-family/

EDIT: Plus TMobile offered 3 different movies for $4 this week (but only one opened this weekend)...I'm betting that deal is what will ultimately put Madea over the top...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

Variety

The 11th installment of Lionsgate’s Madea franchise is performing at the top end of expectations, with an opening of about $23 million at 2,442 sites on Friday. “How to Train Your Dragon 3” was pegged to finish with about $24 million at 4,296 venues, a 56% decline that would give it a repeat victory at the North American box office and $90 million in its first 10 days.

Fox’s third weekend of “Alita: Battle Angel” is leading the rest of the pack with about $6 million at 3,096 locations. Focus Features’ launch of the thriller “Greta,” starring Isabelle Huppert and Chloe Grace Moretz, is in line with forecasts, with about $5 million at 2,409 venues. It will be contending for fourth place with Warner Bros.’ fourth weekend of “The Lego Movie 2: The Second Part.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tyler Perry hasn't screened any of his movies for critics since Diary of a Mad Black Woman, save for For Colored Girls because of the prestige surrounding the source material and the belief that it could attract some awards buzz. His brand doesn't appear to change from movie to movie, so it at least saves some critics from having to write something along the lines of "didn't find it funny last time, didn't find it funny this time, probably won't find it funny next time, but who knows?" over and over and over again.

I'm of the opinion that Tyler Perry is actually a pretty solid actor when he's not doing his own material. He was terrific in Gone Girl, pretty strong in Vice, and more than held his own in his brief appearance in Star Trek. But his Madea schtick has always looked like it would wear out its welcome in 15 minutes or less for me. That said, it clearly reaches an audience and he seems well-intentioned with his properties, so it's all good - it's just not my cup of tea.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ok so i feel like a dummy, but what is Gone With The Wind? It is showing up in 3rd place on Thursday according to boxofficemojo. Seems like some random old movie i would see in high school.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

1 minute ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

Ok so i feel like a dummy, but what is Gone With The Wind? It is showing up in 3rd place on Thursday according to boxofficemojo. Seems like some random old movie i would see in high school.

giphy.gif

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

jesus

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

It is a 1939 release and the biggest movie of all time (by quite a margin in the domestic market), that is still usually the most frequent favorite movie among adults in the USA 80 year's later according to opinion polls.

A very similar movie to Titanic (love story set in big historical events backdrop, here the American civil war and it's aftermath).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

giphy.gif

• Like 4
  • Haha 14

2 minutes ago, Barnack said:

It is a 1939 release and the biggest movie of all time (by quite a margin in the domestic market), that is still usually the most frequent favorite movie among adults in the USA 80 year's later according to opinion polls.

A very similar movie to Titanic (love story set in big historical events backdrop, here the American civil war and it's aftermath).

ah thank you for the answer. don't know why the others below are making snarky gifs and acting like it isn't impossible for some to not know every old classic movie that comes out.

Edited by ScoobyDoo21
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

NMUGSIy.gif

Edited by Bishop54
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, ScoobyDoo21 said:

ah thank you for the answer. don't know why the others below are making snarky gifs and acting like it isn't impossible for some to not know every old classic movie that comes out.

1. You have Google

2. It's not your fault, but asking "what's Gone with the Wind" in a forum full of movie buffs and box office nerds is basically the equivalent of going into a rock and roll music forum and asking "who's this Elvis guy?" You're gonna get hit with a lot of confusion

• Like 16
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

In hindsight not surprised at Dragon 3 being a bit frontloaded but of course right after I gain hope for Dragon 3 after suffering from Lego 2, the universe drops this on me.

The universe only wants us to watch Disney, Pixar and Illumination animated films