baumer

Captain Marvel (2019)

Grade it  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

Ok, thanks for admitting you haven't seen it.  There are other places to shit talk about it, but the review section is strictly for those who have seen it 

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ok, thanks for admitting you haven't seen it.  There are other places to shit talk about it, but the review section is strictly for those who have seen it 

I was joking, B. :) 

I look forward to seeing all the butthurt haters rage out.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Avatree said:

I was joking, B. :) 

I look forward to seeing all the butthurt haters rage out.

I know you're joking...but let's keep this thread for just real review.  :) 

• Like 2

It was really great origin story that has setup Endgame for Carol and how it all started for the Avengers. The first act was surprisingly well paced after the review I have seen that said otherwise and Brie does great job as Carol and Ben, Sam and especially the cat are great additions to the movie. I didn't think it would be as funny as the past MCU movies, but it was really funny and not overdone at all. All the fun starts when the cat enters the movie.  

This was kind of bad?

None of the characters really feel developed outside of Mendolskrull, there's some strange structural/editing choices the film takes, and the action is all really bad. There's an interesting kernel inside there about gas-lighting that's never really explored, and despite the marketing materials released, it doesn't really delve all that deep into her experiences as a woman outside of a montage of her past, and a small conversation she has with a biker guy. Larson is fine with what she's given, but a lot of the writing's kind of wonky and none of the jokes really landed. Jackson and Mendo are pretty good, and so is Lashana Lynch. There's a pretty cool scene with the super intelligence that feels like something out of Interstellar, and it's the only time the film really felt alive and unique. For the rest of the running time it felt incredibly rote and boilerplate.

C-

• Like 2

About on par with the recent MCU products, excluding Thor Ragnarok (the Naked Gun of superheroes) and Infinity War (which was nothing less than a masterpiece of its genre). A little funny at times, but not that much. Brie Larson has been a very good choice for the CM role, and Samuel Jackson is great as usual. Unfortunately the action scenes were pretty lame, the antagonists have no substance and the feminist message just felt too artificial and studied, certainly not as natural and tactful as Wonder Woman's (which is matter-of-factly a superior film under every aspect). We have 4 positive/strong female characters, equally distributed by age and skin color - this is just too much.

6.5/10 (C+)

Edited by Omni
  • Like 4

@the spammer above

tenor.gif?itemid=10451940

-------------

Believe the hype, I am, hmm, whelmed!

I'm not convinced on Brie Larson's take on the character but the movie works in my opinion.

C+

Narrative - 68/100 | Pace is good, but it feels kinda bland. Damn I was glad that Ben Mendelsohn and Samuel L. Jackson were there because without them, this movie would be lifeless. Brie did her best but it's not quite enough.

Fight Choreography - 62/100 | The "real" fights felt weird, and the bigger fights felt like watching Dragon Ball. Now that could be a negative to some, but definitely not to me!

Enjoyment - 71/100 | Even though I enjoyed this movie, and I thought the jokes were mostly funny, and the actors were good, and I loved the cat, and it flowed well, I still felt like something was missing in the end. I can't point my finger on it, but I think something, a spark maybe, was lost somewhere in editing. Like I was watching the ending and was thinking, "damn, that's so cool" but I wish it had more impact, you know? Because I know it could have. At least the characters were faithful to themselves, so thumbs up here!

Definitely middle of the road for the MCU, which is okay, and also a bit above-average compared to lots of blockbusters. They can't all be Thor Ragnarok.

Lastly, I have to say, watching this movie before Avengers: Endgame is a necessity.

*WARNING: incoming essay* 

In my opinion they should’ve gotten a better director and script. The pacing was off in the first 20 minutes and even in the climax, the ending didn’t feel coherent (the last scene should’ve been a credits scene), I also thought the score was nonexistent, they were going for something different than the symphonies than previous movies have but it didn’t mash with what was on screen. The film really has no identity unlike GOTG, Black Panther, the films that the Russos directed. With a director duo I never heard of, I blame that on them. It feels like a film that should’ve come out in phase 1 or phase 2, maybe it’s just me and my disappointment because the previous films in this phase were on a killing streak and were the best so far in the franchise.

Now going onto my bigger issues with this film. Without delving too much into spoilers, Captain Marvel’s role in the larger MCU seems a bit of a head scratcher as it raises several questions and plot holes to previous events in the MCU. They also show the origins of certain MCU canon that I *thought* was handled very wrong with the expectations set from previous films. In particular, there’s one moment that, while it was hilarious at first, was massively disappointing in the sense that it made a certain character, who was characterized as a dumbass throughout the film, a complete embarrassment for what we’ve come to see of that character in the MCU.

Now onto the big one: the casting. The supporting cast is good though there weren’t any major standouts. Unfortunately, I felt like Brie Larson, even trying her best, was miscast in the role. I won’t fully blame her since the script didn’t give her any strong material like she had with The Room, but she doesn’t fit the characteristics that they seem to be heading for. I honestly don’t know who would’ve done a better job as her since I didn’t read the comics, but she felt off.

The pros that standout: Ben Mendhelson, the CGI on younger Nick Fury (who had way more screen time than Superman in Justice League) was phenomenal, the mid credits scene, the train sequence, 90s nostalgia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've just watched it...

It's the weakest MCU movie, by far. It lacks a soul, love and care. I had the feeling that everybody just did the movie and that was it. It comes and goes. 

Action was mediocre, plot's pacing was weak ( the same problem I had with Devil May Cry 5. ). Not sure if the problem was just the directing, but the writing too. Brie was ok, but I didn't buy her as Captain Marvel. 

I'm not furious. I watched the movie and judged it for what it was in my view. I can't recomend, though. I hope you guys get a better experience and end up enjoying. It just didn't click with me.

Skrulls being good guys also didn't click with me and most of the audiences that watched it with me. Nick Fury saved the movie. Samuel Jacksin is very consistent with that character.  

I gave it a C.

• Like 2

Yeeeeeah I just saw the movie....

Probably the second worse MCU origin film. It feels super cheap, ugly and fake, and any thing done to set it apart gets really muddled. The space stuff feels like a cheap BBC Sci-Fi from 2010 (I’m guessing the opening was reshot due to it taking place on a fog planet [where they don’t have to animate the background]). The action is exactly what you saw in the Ads and trailers, one could assume they would’ve gone balls to the wall ballistic but given the enemies in the film they keep the whole affair quite simple.

The standardisation present in Marvel movies saves it, it’s the same character types and humour you come to expect. Brie Larson also CARRIES this movie.

I genuinely do not know what they’re gonna do with this one. The film’s not terrible but unlike something like Aquaman, Doctor Strange and AntMan 2 (all films I find to be quite mediocre) there’s not really anything to write home about. Aquaman had decent action. Doc Strange had fun and clever visuals. AntMan 2 leaned into the family and comedy genre well. With CM there’s no hook, the film has no teeth. 

good luck to em.

C (you can just watch this one at home).

• Like 3

Too tired for a long review, lets keep it short:

It was fun while it lasted. Extremely predictable and the script was a mess sometimes. Brie i enjoyed and Mendelsohn was very fun but the script just needed more work. Also the cinematography looked stale and unimaginative sometimes, kind of like Homecoming. Visually, this may not age that well.

Overall solid, but forgettable. B-/C+ i guess.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 1

Not as good as I had hoped. In fact easily the worst of the MCU films if the 2008 Hulk film doesn't count. 

I realize they were trying to avoid the pitfalls of a by the numbers origin story but I believe this film would of greatly benefited from a more traditional narrative structure. I'm familiar with the source material and I still think the beginning of the film throws you into a murky deep end that just isn't all that fun. Amnesia stories can be tricky but this film gave me whiplash by lurching between a 'overly convoluted' and a 'this happens, then this happens, followed by this happens' plot with little viable connective tissue. 

Captain Marvel ends up being a bit of a blank slate. As another 'We'll try anything to not be another origin story' casualty moments that defined her personality (and I would have enjoyed seeing fleshed out more) are only shown in awkward flash backs. And it's frustrating because in my opinion it blunts the 'dont let anyone tell you what you can or can't achieve in life' message I wish my five year old daughter was old enough to see. 

The action sequences are not very well done and don't utilize her powers in a creative way.

The soundtrack is full of catchy tunes but they aren't as well integrated as in the GotG films.

It suffers a bit from prequel -itis by providing hamfisted origins for little details from the previous films in a way I didn't find satisfying and in my opinion they waste a old school Marvel villian due to an ill advised rebranding. 

I'm a little worried that Captain Marvel is expected to lead the way for later films in the series but hopefully they can integrate her more effectively into the main cast going forward. After all the MCU is definitely a bit of a sausage party right now...

In closing.... don't go see Captain Marvel. Worst Marvel movie BY FAR. Just awful. Best left for a Sunday morning with a hangover via Netflix while trapped under something heavy with only the remote within reach. 

Edited by Adm56
  • Like 1

Like Dil, I would say B-
It's on the level of Thor: Dark World/Hulk. Enjoyable, good but on the lower end of the MCU. I felt that this was the first time Marvel went cosmic and it just didn't work. Too alien. Too far. GOTG and Thor show that you can make it work but you have to put in the work of grounding the setting/characters/rules and physics of the world.I don't feel that they did a good job of that. Poorly realized world and characters. All the Kree stuff in the beginning felt like the DCEU. 

The atmosphere in my auditorium was tepid and muted. There were some laughs but not many. I even dozed off a couple of times. I can see this getting a low multiplier. Low 2s.

Some cons:

I felt like they should have done more work in familiarizing us with the Kree, with her powers, etc. A more linear origin story would have worked better. 

I felt that the film threw "I am woman, hear me roar" themes in your face. It was a bit much. Perhaps they felt compelled to go with a female director (she was co-director) but there were better ones - Kathy Bigelow, Patty Jenkins. 

Lack of explanation behind her powers, especially when they went into overdrive towards the end of the film. "Energy core/reactor" were given as reasons and I suppose the Tessaract played some role, but it almost felt DCEU-ish in terms of flashy cosmic powers with little substance.

The Kree and their world were poorly realized. I did not make the connection with them in GOTG. I couldn't help wondering how a human can breathe their air. What does she eat? How is she not constantly wondering why she is different (or maybe their civilization is full of alien races).

The comedy felt a little forced (yea, yea, the 90s) and didn't work that well for me, with some exceptions* 

I thought Coulson was underused. Would loved to have seen more of him and the beginnings of SHIELD.

Some Pros:
Brie Larson (I want to say Allison Brie) is perfect for the role. Can't wait to see her in Endgame.

Smiled during the Stan Lee nod in the opening credit and of course his cameo (his last I believe)

*Loved the scene of the long wait while the CD-Rom loaded

Great makeup work on SLJ to make him look 25 yrs younger. 

Ben Mendelsohn is always great. Good seeing him getting more work.

Just got back from an IMAX screening tonight 

Brie was very good in the role. Danvers seems a bit different humor wise than all of the other MCU leads as she used more dry humor imo. Script played out in a way i was not expecting. Ben Mendelssohn was really funny going against type here.  A couple of issues with a fight secne later in the film but very enjoyable 

A-

This was fun. Doesn't approach the heights of the MCU's best but the quality is similar to other "origins" movies (The First Avenger, Doctor Strange, etc.) in being an enjoyable time at the movies. Also definitely got a big kick out of the 90s nostalgia lol. I'm a fan of Brie Larson in general and found her to be a really convincing heroine: Carol Danvers isn't quite among the most dynamic heroes they've introduced so far but I look forward to what she'll bring in Endgame and feel like she'll grow even more comfortable in the role as time goes on. Jackson, Jude Law, Ben Mendelsohn (what a relief it is to finally see him in a non-villain role in a big production for once), Annette Bening, and everybody else does well in their roles. But Goose the cat, man. Marvel needs to give him his own movie ASAP. B

• Like 1

As a light but enjoyable stopover on the way to the much-more hyped Avengers: Endgame, Captain Marvel introduces another solid superhero into the MCU in entertaining fashion. The film is admittedly bogged down to some degree by the need to fulfill obligatory origin story tropes, but under the direction of indie drama veterans Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, it feels affecting, funny, and thrilling in about equal measure. Though the film missteps with its villain – a common flaw in the MCU that stands out in especially noticeable detail here – it still has fun set pieces, zips along fluidly, and has numerous scenes that register on a moving emotional level. Brie Larson steps into the title role with a confident and compelling screen presence; she understands the significance of being the first female lead in the MCU and owns it with power and poise. Samuel L. Jackson gets significantly more time to shine as Nick Fury than in most of the recent MCU output, and he makes the most of it with an amusing performance in which he shares terrific rapport with Larson and earns some of the film’s biggest laughs. There is also some affecting material to be found in the relationship Larson shares with Lasahana Lynch as a close friend from her past and Annette Bening as a mentor. In the grand scheme of the MCU, the film is about on par with the first entries for Thor, Captain America, and Ant-Man: an entertaining film that feels a bit too straightforward at times, but has the heart, humor, and stellar lead performance that all point toward big potential for her future involvement in Avengers crossovers and solo installments. It’s not the game changer that Wonder Woman was for the rival DCEU, but it’s a fun crowd-pleaser.

B

Stray Thoughts:

- That montage of Carol Danvers getting knocked down and standing back up is even more powerful in its proper context than it was in the trailer. It's a great moment that lends strong, clear visual power to her tenacity and speaks to her resolve in a powerful manner. I'll bet that it's going to stand out in sharper detail to female-identified viewers, but either way, it's a great moment of low-key feminism that presents resonant female empowerment.

- Hot damn, I was all about all the '90s references on hand here. The True Lies standee in the Blockbuster store, the inclusion of Only Happy When It Rains and Just a Girl in the soundtrack, the painfully slow dial-up connections - all aces.

- The stinger was hilarious thanks to the crowd. I saw this one at a pub cinema and while drunk patrons are surprisingly rare (only three times out of the 30+ trips I made last year), there were a couple of Marvel fanboys a few rows up from me who got wasted and kept screaming out "IT'S THE EYEBALL! OH MY GOD, IT HAS TO BE THE EYEBALL! THE GODDAMN EYEBALL!" until Goose finally spat out the tesseract.

Edited by Webslinger
  • Like 2

B+/A-

Really liked this.  Maybe because the trailers didn't click for me and I went in with low expectations.  I initially thought Brie was a poor casting choice but the movie changed my mind.  90s nastolgia and Nick Fury scenes were great.