DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

A naughty little beggar who thinks something ;):rolleyes::ph34r: about this one. It's the complete RT rating history of him/her on page 1 (for me)

Spoiler
Captain Marvel
Captain Marvel (2019)
8 hours ago via Flixster
½

Been waiting patiently to review this movie since it came out a few days ago in Dubai. Captain Marvel is average at best. The character had almost no development, essentially being the same person from the beginning to the end. No flaws and overpowered. I felt at no point during the movie she'd be in danger. 

Something was off with brie larson. Who knows if it's the acting or script. Villains were meh. A few good moments here and there but for the most part the film felt rushed. For a movie that's a setup before endgame this was VERY underwhelming to say the least.

Alita: Battle Angel
1 day ago via Flixster

Really enjoyed this one. Plot was predictable but great acting and amazing action sequences. CGI on Alita is breathtaking, especially in IMAX. Definitely recommend it.

Not meant to start anything, I find it kind of amusing.

5 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

But that would be nonsense to do so. Its an intro, she is not finished, ... a part 1 of something to come, in a way the first act. As are in my POV more or less all solo origins of the MCU.

It would confuse the heck the audience of future parts too. With so many titles its for some already a bit difficult / overwhelming, especially if jumping late on the wagon

I think you look way too strongly at it like a closed story thing. The MCU has in my POV some rules that do not apply to the usual stand alone movies

Its maybe bcs we never had something similar that ppl still try to approach it that way?

I think you pick to much the conditions for what you see as acceptable as reasons or possibilities and what not, way too focused on it has to be here and now, no tolerance for anything else.

I’m not saying this movie needed a different name. I’m saying it needed to explain the name it had. I’m not saying Danvers needs to be called “Captain Marvel” outright, but as it stands the title of this movie makes 0% sense.

I don’t care about future movies that haven’t happened yet. “They’ll explain it later” is not a valid reason. “Part 1 of something to come” is an excuse for bad writing.

The ‘conditions for what I see as acceptable’ in regards to the film’s title are, as I have said several times, the title of the film needs to make sense within the context of the film. Not future films. Not other mediums the story was adapted from. THE FILM.

So since you want to keep arguing about my apparently unreasonable standards, I will ask again:

Can you explain to me the title of this film, within the context of this film? What does “Captain Marvel” mean?

I’m waiting...

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 2

I will say I expect the sequel to improve greatly without all the baggage this film had to satisfy in MCU's first female lead and bridging into Endgame. And, being more cosmic.thsn Earthbound is better. The directors will return, they'll be more comfortable with a big budget too. Likely get some Avengers with her too.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I will say I expect the sequel to improve greatly without all the baggage this film had to satisfy in MCU's first female lead and bridging into Endgame. And, being more cosmic.thsn Earthbound is better. The directors will return, they'll be more comfortable with a big budget too. Likely get some Avengers with her too.

Out of likes but I definitely agree with that.

I'm hyped for Endgame and the resulting sequel to this, should be very interesting

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

So since you want to keep arguing about my apparently unreasonable standards, I will ask again:

Can you explain to me the title of this film, within the context of this film? What does “Captain Marvel” mean?

I’m waiting...

I do not argue. I put my thoughts in spoiler tags as its too... much about ot already for the most here I guess.

Spoiler

First I and others tried to answer, give ideas, than you narrowed the conditions, to a degree I think is wrong, see my POV of it being a part 1 and other points.

You say its bad writing, I say that POV is too narrow, missing the 'otherness' of in this case the MCU.

It reminds me about RL contacts with art background. A few of them are so focused on their knowledge,... artfulness, they miss things that does not match their world. I do not know enough about you, but that is for the moment the impression.

Your standards are not unreasonable, I simply think they are not matching with all movies on the world, without the ones not matching it, being automatically bad, see 'that's bad writing' - like dot / basta.

That kind of reaction is not discussing something.

Someone suggested Japanese movies to watch, you told you already watch ~ unusual movies. But if you still insist on no wiggle room, no other POV than yours, how to present other version, i it looks like the arguments got dis messed unread.

Add to that that - maybe again a language / culture / ... - you come over as ~ a bit like standing there demanding, foot tapping, ... something is off.

This last post of yours cemented that impression even more

So I came to the conclusion you are not here to want to exchange ideas, not learn, give-take, see this as a chance of cultural exchange, also generational differences, how to view pace as an example. So why should I want to let me force to an answer that is contradictorily to how I see this detail?

To me a title can have a connection to the movie and will mostly have it, but they could have named it like some painters name their picture, in my POV a title can be of meaning, but it must not law-like have meaning for all people looking at said painting or not have the same meaning for all.

A movie is not automatically badly written, if the story isn't final and its obvious there will be more. I  am not even sure I'd care much if they never addressed that, in the end to me its about the whole MCU world, this film only being a piece of a puzzle of the whole picture. To me the title is in the case of the MCU not more than to guess for part 2 or 3 where the story might lead to, and to now where to place piece 21 into the mosaic called MCU.

= that was what I tried to get over earlier, to define the parameter the other is under, to find out eha there is this seemingly obsession and if there is a chance to connect / exchange still.

I guess your reaction will be: I do not get an answer. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows?

2 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m not saying this movie needed a different name. I’m saying it needed to explain the name it had. I’m not saying Danvers needs to be called “Captain Marvel” outright, but as it stands the title of this movie makes 0% sense.

I don’t care about future movies that haven’t happened yet. “They’ll explain it later” is not a valid reason. “Part 1 of something to come” is an excuse for bad writing.

The ‘conditions for what I see as acceptable’ in regards to the film’s title are, as I have said several times, the title of the film needs to make sense within the context of the film. Not future films. Not other mediums the story was adapted from. THE FILM.

I’m waiting...

I haven't been able to discuss the spoilers of the film just yet, but I believe the film heavily implied that Carol is half Kree and that her mother is actually Wendy Lawson aka Mar-Vell.

I can agree that the film fails to address on the WHY she is Captain Marvel, but I believe that's a plot thread they will be addressing in her sequel or even in Endgame. 

When she remembers her past, all we can see is her father figure, and if I'm reminding correctly he was kind of an asshole. Mar-Vell is the person she admires the most and I believe there's a reason why she and Maria were picked to work with her. I fully expect Maria - and by consequence Monica - to be revealed to be half Kree as well. 

12 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

I haven't been able to discuss the spoilers of the film just yet, but I believe the film heavily implied that Carol is half Kree and that her mother is actually Wendy Lawson aka Mar-Vell.

I can agree that the film fails to address on the WHY she is Captain Marvel, but I believe that's a plot thread they will be addressing in her sequel or even in Endgame. 

When she remembers her past, all we can see is her father figure, and if I'm reminding correctly he was kind of an asshole. Mar-Vell is the person she admires the most and I believe there's a reason why she and Maria were picked to work with her. I fully expect Maria - and by consequence Monica - to be revealed to be half Kree as well. 

I have no idea where you got that idea from. Monica mentions Carol's mom by saying she had a bad relationship with both of her parents.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I have no idea where you got that idea from. Monica mentions Carol's mom by saying she had a bad relationship with both of her parents.

Like I’ve said, I believe it’s implied, hinted at, but never actually spelled out. I remember the bit about Maria telling her had a bad relationship with both of her parents, but my theory is that eventually Carol will learn that she’s “Wendy"’s daughter, somehow. It’d justify why she is actually Captain Marvel. I might be completely wrong, but I came out with the impression that while Mar-Vell didn’t really treated her as a daughter, there’s a specific non disclosed reason why Carol was picked to work with Mar-Vell.

Edited by ZattMurdock

4 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Like I’ve said, I believe it’s implied, hinted at, but never actually spelled out. I remember the bit about Maria telling her had a bad relationship with both of her parents, but my theory is that eventually Carol will learn that she’s “Wendy"’s daughter, somehow. It’d justify why she is actually Captain Marvel. I might be completely wrong, but I came out with the impression that while Mar-Vell didn’t really treated her as a daughter, there’s a specific non disclosed reason why Carol was picked to work with Mar-Vell.

I think you're looking too deep into this, Mar-Vell was just a mentor to Carol changed from being her lover in the comics just because it comes across better in the 2010s as a woman being inspired by a mentor then by a man in her life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I think you're looking too deep into this, Mar-Vell was just a mentor to Carol changed from being her lover in the comics just because it comes across better in the 2010s as a woman being inspired by a mentor then by a man in her life.

That’s one way to look at it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Talos casually off screen reveals to her while she’s away that she is Mar-Vell’s daughter and she adopts that name while she is away, hence why people call her “Marvel" when she goes back to Earth in Endgame. This is obviously a theory, but that’s the impression I had from my first screening.

Edited by ZattMurdock

7 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s one way to look at it. I wouldn’t be surprised if Talos casually off screen reveals to her while she’s away that she is Mar-Vell’s daughter and she adopts that name while she is away, hence why people call her “Marvel" when she goes back to Earth in Endgame. This is obviously a theory, but that’s the impression I had from my first screening.

I mean the sum of the post on this page:

Interesting thoughts, there are some details right out of one of the comics in this.

As they said she had problems with both... maybe an adoption, or lived with the father with step-mom thing. But than I think she wouldn't have needed the blood transfusion, plus in a lot of stories after puberty hits the ageing gets slow or... when the Krees are long-living, as others here theorised being the reason she doesn't age as fast as we.

With Kree already be part of her she should have realised earlier her not ageing or power, ability, strength.

So if Mar-Vell has some kind of blood-kinship with her maybe its more polluted? Like a common ancestor?

Not feeling it for now, but an interesting thought, maybe some version will come up that makes a bit more sense to me in connection to input we already have, like ageing normal, no special power hinted at.

Beside her strength of will, that could be one too (not serious)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrestrial said:

I mean the sum of the post on this page:

Interesting thoughts, there are some details right out of one of the comics in this.

As they said she had problems with both... maybe an adoption, or lived with the father with step-mom thing. But than I think she wouldn't have needed the blood transfusion, plus in a lot of stories after puberty hits the ageing gets slow or... when the Krees are long-living, as others here theorised being the reason she doesn't age as fast as we.

With Kree already be part of her she should have realised earlier her not ageing or power, ability, strength.

So if Mar-Vell has some kind of blood-kinship with her maybe its more polluted? Like a common ancestor?

Not feeling it for now, but an interesting thought, maybe some version will come up that makes a bit more sense to me in connection to input we already have, like ageing normal, no special power hinted at.

Beside her strength of will, that could be one too (not serious)

Or maybe the blood transfusion worked BECAUSE she's half Kree? It'd mean that her Kree "heritage" would come from an woman, albeit not really the greatest mother, still better than Yon-Rogg. Also a good reason for her to be Captain Mar-Vell, just like in the original comics but with a twist.

Just now, ZattMurdock said:

Or maybe the blood transfusion worked BECAUSE she's half Kree? It'd mean that her Kree "heritage" would come from an woman, albeit not really the greatest mother, still better than Yon-Rogg. Also a good reason for her to be Captain Mar-Vell, just like in the original comics but with a twist.

All that talk about why the name reminded me about something I read around the time the film is happening:

I think it was in a book about Buddhism:

"captain of my thoughts" = to be free to think and (only?) under its own control

Is that a saying in English too?

Remember: Yon-Rogg and the Supreme Intelligence told Carol that what made her powerful was the blood transfusion. We don’t still really know that much about Carol’s heritage, and I believe there’s a reason why we don’t really see her ‘Earth’ mom. It’s a narrative choice, her real mom was a Kree scientist too busy trying to end and intergalactic war that wasn’t able to raise her own child, but still managed to be present in her child’s life, although still using her as an instrument. It’s the kind of soap opera drama that I could definitely see it work in the MCU.