DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

37 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Straight from Feige himself about the "WHY DID FURY NEVER CALL CAPTAIN MARVEL BEFORE!?" issue-

https://screenrant.com/captain-marvel-infinity-war-pager-nick-fury/?utm_content=buffer31922&utm_medium=Social-Distribution&utm_source=SR-TW&utm_campaign=SR-TW (Yes ScreenRant sucks but ignore that)

Exactly.

tl;dr - doesn't mean the movies didn't show him paging CM that it didn't happen (it takes a while for her to arrive), and maybe he was on the verge of pushing that button all this time, but everytime the avengers pulled through and he didn't need to. Like Feige says, they can't rely on her all the time, Fury needs an actual team that's able to defend the Earth, not just CM

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

IMPORTANT: saw Man on the Moon in the song credits at the end. when does that play? don't remember it.

I remember hearing it but not quite which scene. It was in the background though and not focused on so I can see why it's hard to recall.

6 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

IMPORTANT: saw Man on the Moon in the song credits at the end. when does that play? don't remember it.

During the final dinner table scene when Mendohlskrull and his family are eating dinner with capt marvel & friends.

• Thanks 2

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/08/captain-marvel-skrulls-secret-invasion-sequel-kevin-feige/

"Just like not all humans are bad, and not all humans are good, I think Skrulls probably have a variety of moralities amongst them," Feige told ComicBook.com. "When they can do what they can do, it probably gets very tempting. So, it's fun to have introduced this concept and see where it goes."

"As we saw in the tag, she's with us now in the present day," Feige said. "But those intervening years between her soaring off with Talos and answering Fury's call, we think is ripe with potential for storytelling."  

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/03/08/captain-marvel-skrulls-secret-invasion-sequel-kevin-feige/

"Just like not all humans are bad, and not all humans are good, I think Skrulls probably have a variety of moralities amongst them," Feige told ComicBook.com. "When they can do what they can do, it probably gets very tempting. So, it's fun to have introduced this concept and see where it goes."

"As we saw in the tag, she's with us now in the present day," Feige said. "But those intervening years between her soaring off with Talos and answering Fury's call, we think is ripe with potential for storytelling."  

Knew it. 

• Haha 1

I just got back from seeing CM...

Beyond the quality of the movie, there are some truly glaring problems in terms of MCU continuity:

CM kill count

Someone with a military background (sort of a dick to everyone), zero compulsions about killing, and a history of being manipulated is the last person, man or woman, you would want to get superman-level power.  Right after thinking this, CM goes and kills tens of thousands of Aliens with a cocky smile on her face...  (Someone with "superman" level of power NEEDS a superman "no-kill policy" to fall in the heroic category...)

This is a pretty serious problem.  I mean, the kill count for the rest of the avengers is in the single digits:

http://collider.com/avengers-kill-count/

Meanwhile, CM kill count is in thousands, +30 years more of killing...  

Why did CM allow Ronan the Accuser and Thanos to commit genocide unchecked for nearly 30 years?

CM being absent from Earth because she is maintaining the peace of the galaxy is fine and all, but what exactly has she doing?  The two biggest threats to galaxy (Ronan and Thanos) were widely known (openly engaging genocide over long periods of time).  CM could have kicked Thanos ass at any time (prior to the gauntlet), and there is no way she was unaware what he was up to.  Are you telling me CM prioritized the survival of a small group of refugees over preventing dozens, if not hundreds, of planetary-level genosides?  Was she on a 30-year vacation or what?

Edited by cedec0

43 minutes ago, cedec0 said:

Was she on a 30-year vacation or what?

did you maybe miss the hints CM 2 might play between CM 1 and Endgame? See e.g. last sentence next quote.

Beside,... strange interpretation in seveal points

2 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

yes!

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Called it. 

metoo - somewhere in this or the non-spoiler thread I guess.

I saw Captain Marvel or Captain Mar-Vel I should say :) last night and it was just okay. Not bad but nothing special or wow either.

The story is the weakest part of the movie. Very simple story without any layers in it. The pacing of the movie is not good either.

Brie Larson I think is a miscast for the character of Captain Marvel, at least that's what it seems like after her first movie.

The best parts of the movie were Nick Fury and Goose the "cat". The humor doesn't always land but at least they are not forcing it unlike other MCU films.

Captain Marvel is so powerful and she had to go up against a bunch of nobodies in her movie. Really disappointed.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I think that a much easier way for all of us to root for Carol would be to actually make her vulnerable. Even with this same story. And a good way to do it would be to simply throw the memory element away, altogether.

If I were to do a plot pitch, here's how it would go: you could kick the story off in the day where she stumbles upon Mar-Vell... say, she's on duty but it's the day before she goes out on Holidays to see her adoptive family and her closest friends for the 1st time in a good year. On a supervision flight, she and a friend of hers (Lashana Lynch's character) notice a plane going down, and immediately report the emergency. When they get there, they notice Mar-Vell and her blue blood, she tells them she was trying to help a race called the Skrulls and, if she were to die, she needed to destroy the blue core of energy in her plane. She gets shot down, Lashana Lynch gets shot too, and then she sees Jude Law, and blows up the core whose energy she sucks in.

Sometime later, she wakes up in Hala. She remembers her past and the explosion, but doesn't understand what happened to her. She tries to escape the Kree, as she remembers they were the ones who shot Mar-Vell and Lashana Lynch down, but while doing so, she accidentally kills a lot of people when her power blows up. As she was passed out after this happened, the Kree then put a hold on her, making her feel guilty for the accident and getting her to submissively put a restrain on her own powers. They also manipulate Carol into believing that Mar-Vell was actually a Skrull in disguise who managed to imitate the Kree, and then they tell her that the Skrulls are evil beings who want to take over the universe. Carol, while a soldier who wants to do good, feels completely out of place and desperately just wants to go home to her family and friends, and the Kree promise her that if she helps them end the war, she will return to Earth. All she needs to do is shut up, be a good girl and let them teach her how to quiet down her emotions. This leads to her becoming a Kree soldier, but with her new powers, she feels out of her element and uncomfortable. She trains hard, and eventually goes to her first fight in the Kree-Skrull war. She's disturbed by the atrocities the Kree commit, but remembers the way of the war..... unfortunately, her need to control herself gets her captured by Talos.

When in Talos' control, the Skrulls ask her who she is. She tells them she knows who they are, she knew Mar-Vell, and she knows their agenda. Talos then takes her to Mar-Vell's secret base, where they show her that they were just trying to oppose the Kree's dictatorship. She still doesn't believe them... so Talos asks her if she saw Mar-Vell transform into Skrull form when she was shot. She answers no. Talos asks her to shoot him as he takes shape of Carol herself. When Carol sees fake Carol, she's reminded of her demons and of "being a good girl rather than a threat", and worries she might not deserve good things anymore. She shoots fake Carol, and Talos transforms back. This is what would've happened if Mar-Vell were a Skrull. She was a Kree. And then we see images of Kree tyranny atrocities against the Skrulls, who innocently tried to fight back and run from the dominion. When the Kree reach Mar-Vell's spaceship, Carol escapes with the Skrulls, and they all fly down to Earth, where Carol encourages the Skrulls to desguise themselves as humans. There, they encounter Nick Fury and SHIELD, and teach them all about what's happening at the moment. Carol visits Lashana, they talk about what happened that day; and she's also tempted to visit her family, but doesn't want to endanger them, so she promises she's coming for them after the war is over. However, when the Kree arrive on Earth, they make it well known that Carol and the Skrulls are coming with them, or Carol's family will die. Carol finds the Kree taking her family hostage, and when she resists going, Jude Law kills a few of her friends right in front of her, and tells her she either comes with them quietly, like a good girl, or everyone else will die. This drives Carol to unstable levels of emotion, and makes her unable to repress her power anymore.... a similar explosion of energy to that in Hala occurs, but this time, she doesn't kill anyone with her blast. The people around her are wounded, but they're not dead. The Kree try to kill the hostages, but they're too late, and they flee. That's when Carol realizes that the Kree killed the people after her power explosion in Hala, not the explosion itself.

Carol grieves the people who died as a consequence of the Kree's actions, and remains guilty for bringing the danger to innocents multiple times, but now she's decided where her place in war is: the side of those who want to fight the oppression and tyranny. She, Talos and his family, Lashana, Goose and Fury all fly up and hunt down the Skrulls, and there, she confronts Jude Law, reminds him that she is a good girl alright...... because she's strong, willful and powerful on her own feet, and she doesn't have to abide by the orders of any man, basically sending a feminist, anti-oppression/misogyny message. She embraces her full potential, wipes out the Kree on her own, kills Jude Law and declares the war as over herself. She then flies back to her family, spends some time with them, and later returns to her new duty in space, with the 1st mission being to lead the Skrulls into a safe home. In tribute to Mar-Vell, Lashana Lynch calls her "a marvel". Captain Marvel. Movie ends with her and the Skrulls flying away, and then a montage of Nick Fury trying to call Captain Marvel multiple times during calamities (i.e. the Chitauri invasion), only for the signal never to reach.... until the very end where the Infinity War end credits scene plays.

Mid-credits: some fun stuff with Goose. Post-credits: we see Carol crying, and a field of dead Skrulls around her. She mentions "not again", "not again", in reference to yet another slew of innocents dead before her eyes. Carol decides it's not worth it to continue to try to save the universe, because everytime she tries, more people die as a consequence, effectively giving up on her anti-oppression mission. We see it was Thanos' army who killed those Skrulls, and years later, she finally wakes from her slumber when she realizes that Thanos has been all over the galaxy wiping out populations in half, and decides to follow him to Earth, where, upon entering the Milky Way, recieves Fury's message. This leads directly to Endgame.

There. I just made a good Captain Marvel movie. Be gone, Boden and Fleck.

Edited by MCKillswitch123
  • Knock It Off 6

1 hour ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

She should hire a new director, nothing stood out from this pair.

Script was a bigger issue imo. The Skrull-memory bit was one of the most inventive scenes in the MCU so far, so the directors definitely have potential; just give them a better screenwriter next time, or at least don't let them write the script if their rewrite was substantial. 

As I said in an post, Kevin Feige made a rare mistake of promoting CM as an all powerful SH, and the most powerful SH (not sure if he used the word Avenger, that would be worse). Going into the theater, I already somehow expected her to kickass all around. But I hoped they showed some major vulnerabilities at various stages and various areas in her original story. Heh, even Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite.

The montages show how she rises and rises. The problem is, why didn't they spend some minutes how badly she suffered and endured when she fell in the first place? Without showing falling, and only telling rising, no wonder it fails to inspire.

This original story really disappoints. She hardly has any vulnerabilities, and the stakes is low. In the end, you cheer for her at most, but you don't root for her.

• Thanks 1
  • Knock It Off 1

I wonder if these people here complaining about the script really saw the same movie as I did? because it has one of the most unique script on the genre. The Skrulls plot was beautiful and emotional, dealing with an theme as refugees, something never approached before in a comic book movie. The non-linear script was also refreshing, making the audience embark on the journey along with Carol discovering who she is. The direction of the movie made it clear for me that they were focusing more on the emotional side of the story and they're really good at it.

Edited by andersonhoran
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, andersonhoran said:

I wonder if these people here complaining about the script really saw the same movie as I did? because it has one of the most unique script on the genre. The Skrulls plot was beautiful and emotional, dealing with an theme as refugees, something never approached before in a comic book movie. The non-linear script was also refreshing, making the audience embark on the journey along with Carol discovering who she is. The direction of the movie made it clear for me that they were focusing more on the emotional side of the story and they're really good at it.

It seems people have already forgot about Thor Ragnarok and its aftermath...

14 minutes ago, dashrendar44 said:

It seems people have already forgot about Thor Ragnarok and its aftermath...

Well, in Ragnarok they had their planet destroyed, yeah they became homeless in the end but it's different from being harassed all over the planet like the Skrulls.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, justvision said:

As I said in an post, Kevin Feige made a rare mistake of promoting CM as an all powerful SH, and the most powerful SH (not sure if he used the word Avenger, that would be worse). Going into the theater, I already somehow expected her to kickass all around. But I hoped they showed some major vulnerabilities at various stages and various areas in her original story. Heh, even Superman is vulnerable to Kryptonite.

The montages show how she rises and rises. The problem is, why didn't they spend some minutes how badly she suffered and endured when she fell in the first place? Without showing falling, and only telling rising, no wonder it fails to inspire.

This original story really disappoints. She hardly has any vulnerabilities, and the stakes is low. In the end, you cheer for her at most, but you don't root for her.

That's a great point. The reason why the No Man Land scene in Wonder Woman works so well is because the movie takes its time to build it up. Shows us the horrors of war.

And then she gets up there and it's great, it feels deserved, it feels right. 

In this movie Captain Marvel just gets stronger and stronger and there is no real build-up to it that feels deserved. Her friends were in danger okay but the scene was directed awkwardly and we don't really feel the tension. it's like they were afraid to put some real danger in there.

But especially, they were afraid to bring down Carol to a level where we see her true vulnerabilities, like... not just on the surface.

• Like 2