DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

I don't feel so good about it. I enjoyed it, most of it. Didn't like the action part. Best part Avengers.

Worst part, they messed up so many things.

1. Was The Avengers incident not emergency?

2. It wasn't s.h.i.e.l.d. Until Iron Man, it was strategic h... You know it.

3. ffs it was an infinity stone. Crown jewel of Odin's treasure. Damn Odin.

4. Like seriously? Avengers managed to come from Wakanda and find that pager of all that's happening.

Damn the more I am thinking about it, the less I like. Need to forget it like Hulk, IM 2 & IM3.

BTW just wondering, is this only superhero film where no one call hero by title. Pretty sure, didn't heard word Captain Marvel.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I don't feel so good about it. I enjoyed it, most of it. Didn't like the action part. Best part Avengers.

4. Like seriously? Avengers managed to come from Wakanda and find that pager of all that's happening.

Damn the more I am thinking about it, the less I like. Need to forget it like Hulk, IM 2 & IM3.

BTW just wondering, is this only superhero film where no one call hero by title. Pretty sure, didn't heard word Captain Marvel.

I thought it was pretty clear that Fury didn't call on Captain Marvel during any of The Avengers incidents sans Infinity War, because The Avengers always stopped the threat in time. By that logic, to me, where were the rest of the Avengers during half of the solo movie threats?

As for the pager, I'm pretty sure it sets off a really large signal - so probably after someone tracked down Fury's vehicle (that probably has a signal of it's own), someone was able to retrieve it.

Edited by Amorphous
  • Like 4
  • Knock It Off 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

@SofNascimento I loved her child-like reactions to discovering what she can do with her powers and thought those were some of better moments in the movie.

I'm not sure which moments you mean. She's already aware of her powers in the beginning of the film, only after she takes that thing off she really discover knew things. What I mean is her attitude throughout the film. Not every moment I guess, but most of the time. 

7 minutes ago, SofNascimento said:

I'm not sure which moments you mean. She's already aware of her powers in the beginning of the film, only after she takes that thing off she really discover knew things. What I mean is her attitude throughout the film. Not every moment I guess, but most of the time. 

right before returns to pick up her boots (escape from kree segement) and when she went fully nuclear. it isn't overdone so I can see if people missed those moments but I'm a fan.

as for her attitude, mischievous character? maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I was going to post this actually since it pretty much explains most people's problems with the movie. The story never makes us understand the psychology of the characters. My two favourite films, GOTG 2 and Black Panther (but with Killmonger) actually used the story as a vehicle to understand the characters even further. They are more character studies. I would say the same with Captain America and maybe Iron Man and Thor Ragnarok. Or in the DC side of things, Wonder Woman works because the story is all about her love and her femininity destroying the evil in men.

This. I'll give an example from BP. Okoye. The movie doesn't zero on her but she has very believable character arc and understandable psychology which is tremendous for a supporting character in a large supporting cast. same nakia. also not the movie's focus but well done character and motivations. you understand why she refused T'Challa's hand off screen, you understand why she accepted it now. In short, you don't have to make a movie about certain characters for them to have good psychological profile. None of them exists solely to sing praises to the main character (so and so always said you were special, I'm telling you you are special, mommy why can'y you be a hero like auntie) nor to give the main character hugs. they have their own life.

Edited by Valonqar

8 hours ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

I think that a much easier way for all of us to root for Carol would be to actually make her vulnerable. Even with this same story. And a good way to do it would be to simply throw the memory element away, altogether.

If I were to do a plot pitch, here's how it would go: you could kick the story off in the day where she stumbles upon Mar-Vell... say, she's on duty but it's the day before she goes out on Holidays to see her adoptive family and her closest friends for the 1st time in a good year. On a supervision flight, she and a friend of hers (Lashana Lynch's character) notice a plane going down, and immediately report the emergency. When they get there, they notice Mar-Vell and her blue blood, she tells them she was trying to help a race called the Skrulls and, if she were to die, she needed to destroy the blue core of energy in her plane. She gets shot down, Lashana Lynch gets shot too, and then she sees Jude Law, and blows up the core whose energy she sucks in.

Sometime later, she wakes up in Hala. She remembers her past and the explosion, but doesn't understand what happened to her. She tries to escape the Kree, as she remembers they were the ones who shot Mar-Vell and Lashana Lynch down, but while doing so, she accidentally kills a lot of people when her power blows up. As she was passed out after this happened, the Kree then put a hold on her, making her feel guilty for the accident and getting her to submissively put a restrain on her own powers. They also manipulate Carol into believing that Mar-Vell was actually a Skrull in disguise who managed to imitate the Kree, and then they tell her that the Skrulls are evil beings who want to take over the universe. Carol, while a soldier who wants to do good, feels completely out of place and desperately just wants to go home to her family and friends, and the Kree promise her that if she helps them end the war, she will return to Earth. All she needs to do is shut up, be a good girl and let them teach her how to quiet down her emotions. This leads to her becoming a Kree soldier, but with her new powers, she feels out of her element and uncomfortable. She trains hard, and eventually goes to her first fight in the Kree-Skrull war. She's disturbed by the atrocities the Kree commit, but remembers the way of the war..... unfortunately, her need to control herself gets her captured by Talos.

When in Talos' control, the Skrulls ask her who she is. She tells them she knows who they are, she knew Mar-Vell, and she knows their agenda. Talos then takes her to Mar-Vell's secret base, where they show her that they were just trying to oppose the Kree's dictatorship. She still doesn't believe them... so Talos asks her if she saw Mar-Vell transform into Skrull form when she was shot. She answers no. Talos asks her to shoot him as he takes shape of Carol herself. When Carol sees fake Carol, she's reminded of her demons and of "being a good girl rather than a threat", and worries she might not deserve good things anymore. She shoots fake Carol, and Talos transforms back. This is what would've happened if Mar-Vell were a Skrull. She was a Kree. And then we see images of Kree tyranny atrocities against the Skrulls, who innocently tried to fight back and run from the dominion. When the Kree reach Mar-Vell's spaceship, Carol escapes with the Skrulls, and they all fly down to Earth, where Carol encourages the Skrulls to desguise themselves as humans. There, they encounter Nick Fury and SHIELD, and teach them all about what's happening at the moment. Carol visits Lashana, they talk about what happened that day; and she's also tempted to visit her family, but doesn't want to endanger them, so she promises she's coming for them after the war is over. However, when the Kree arrive on Earth, they make it well known that Carol and the Skrulls are coming with them, or Carol's family will die. Carol finds the Kree taking her family hostage, and when she resists going, Jude Law kills a few of her friends right in front of her, and tells her she either comes with them quietly, like a good girl, or everyone else will die. This drives Carol to unstable levels of emotion, and makes her unable to repress her power anymore.... a similar explosion of energy to that in Hala occurs, but this time, she doesn't kill anyone with her blast. The people around her are wounded, but they're not dead. The Kree try to kill the hostages, but they're too late, and they flee. That's when Carol realizes that the Kree killed the people after her power explosion in Hala, not the explosion itself.

Carol grieves the people who died as a consequence of the Kree's actions, and remains guilty for bringing the danger to innocents multiple times, but now she's decided where her place in war is: the side of those who want to fight the oppression and tyranny. She, Talos and his family, Lashana, Goose and Fury all fly up and hunt down the Skrulls, and there, she confronts Jude Law, reminds him that she is a good girl alright...... because she's strong, willful and powerful on her own feet, and she doesn't have to abide by the orders of any man, basically sending a feminist, anti-oppression/misogyny message. She embraces her full potential, wipes out the Kree on her own, kills Jude Law and declares the war as over herself. She then flies back to her family, spends some time with them, and later returns to her new duty in space, with the 1st mission being to lead the Skrulls into a safe home. In tribute to Mar-Vell, Lashana Lynch calls her "a marvel". Captain Marvel. Movie ends with her and the Skrulls flying away, and then a montage of Nick Fury trying to call Captain Marvel multiple times during calamities (i.e. the Chitauri invasion), only for the signal never to reach.... until the very end where the Infinity War end credits scene plays.

Mid-credits: some fun stuff with Goose. Post-credits: we see Carol crying, and a field of dead Skrulls around her. She mentions "not again", "not again", in reference to yet another slew of innocents dead before her eyes. Carol decides it's not worth it to continue to try to save the universe, because everytime she tries, more people die as a consequence, effectively giving up on her anti-oppression mission. We see it was Thanos' army who killed those Skrulls, and years later, she finally wakes from her slumber when she realizes that Thanos has been all over the galaxy wiping out populations in half, and decides to follow him to Earth, where, upon entering the Milky Way, recieves Fury's message. This leads directly to Endgame.

There. I just made a good Captain Marvel movie. Be gone, Boden and Fleck.

Tell that to zod's snapped neck!

• Haha 7

1 hour ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

1. Feige said that even though it wasn't shown (Fury calling CM) doesn't mean it didn't happen. She takes a while to arrive.

2. Fair point but also fairly minor. I'm a SHIELD fan (tv show) and I had forgotten entirely about this...

3. Obviously. :P

4, That sounds far-fetched indeed but we have no context so far for that scene.

Opinion time

There are so many videos on Youtube that say the patriarchy is the villain of the movie. That it's men that's holding her  back. No, it's not. It's a civilization of aliens led by a super AI (that appears as female every time it shows up) trying to slaughter a group of other aliens, whose only sin (as of now, I'm sure there will be bad Skrulls in the future) was fighting back. The Supreme Intelligence is largely responsible for the chip on Carol's neck that suppress her full powers. 

Throughout the time, there are several men that put Carol down telling her she wasn't going to amount to anything. From the flashbacks to even the Kree. This is not a brand new thing, there have been thousands of movies where characters are looked down by others saying they won't amount to anything. Zootopia was all about that.

Now this is all my opinion, I know at the end of the day it doesn't matter much, but still. . .

This entire post is also written by a guy.

Edited by Yandereprime101189
  • Like 4

52 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

The SHIELD acronym complaint is perhaps the most tiniest of retcon minutia (and likely isn't even a retcon!) to get worked up about for the film

People just can’t appreciate a good Coulson joke. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

right before returns to pick up her boots (escape from kree segement) and when she went fully nuclear. it isn't overdone so I can see if people missed those moments but I'm a fan.

as for her attitude, mischievous character? maybe?

I like mischievous characters. Indeed, I should have enoyed the scene that she screamed back at a guy, I like characters that, say, learned to laugh at danger. Yet it didn't work for me. It felt she was trying too hard all the time. As I mention before in a previous post, like she was a teenager pretending to be in a superhero film. 

16 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

There are so many videos by detractors that say the patriarchy is the villain of the movie. That its men that's holding Brie back.

No, it's not. It's a civilization of aliens led by a super AI (that appears as female every time it shows up) trying to slaughter a group of other aliens, whose only sin (as of now, I'm sure there will be bad Skrulls in the future) was fighting back. The Supreme Intelligence is largely responsible for the chip on Carol's neck that suppress her full powers. 

Throughout the time, there are several men that put Carol down telling her she wasn't going to amount to anything. From the flashbacks to even the Kree. This is not a brand new thing, there have been thousands of movies where characters are looked down by others saying they won't amount to anything. Zootopia was all about that, Jesus.

I just can't even. The internet really is a cesspool of hate sometimes.

This entire post is also written by a guy.

sometimes?

Oh, and saw it today. Was good (7.5/10). Some things they tried fell a little flat (a few really awkward jokes and some of the supposedly dramatic scenes) but the final act worked pretty well. Though her destroying a whole Kree battleship to make a point might have been a little... well, extreme? I mean usually in these large scale battles in CBMs the opponents are dehumanized (either some kind of monsters or even robots). That ship was full of people (we saw kree on Hala). Up until now marvel always had the high ground when it came to these kinds of issues.

Edited by chuck0

1 minute ago, chuck0 said:

sometimes?

Oh, and saw it today. Was good (7.5/10). Some things they tried fell a little flat (a few really awkward jokes and some of the supposedly dramatic scenes) but the final act worked pretty well. Though her destroying a whole Kree battleship to make a point might have been a little... well, extreme? I mean usually in these large scale battles in CBMs the opponents are dehumanized (either some kind of monsters or even robots). That ship was full of people (we saw kree on Hela). Up until now marvel always had the high ground when it came to these kinds of issues.

Oops, meant to say all the time. It's just easier to ignore it sometimes than it is others.

1 minute ago, chuck0 said:

sometimes?

Oh, and saw it today. Was good (7.5/10). Some things they tried fell a little flat (a few really awkward jokes and some of the supposedly dramatic scenes) but the final act worked pretty well. Though her destroying a whole Kree battleship to make a point might have been a little... well, extreme? I mean usually in these large scale battles in CBMs the opponents are dehumanized (either some kind of monsters or even robots). That ship was full of people (we saw kree on Hela). Up until now marvel always had the high ground when it came to these kinds of issues.

They were going to drop a nuclear warhead on Earth and kill everyone (or something akin to a mega-bomb, can't quite remember).

At this point I think it's safe to say that they got what was coming to them. If you go around threatening to nuke planets, you also gotta be ready to die because of retaliation. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Howard Stark called it Shield from the benning, they show that in Agent Carter, Coulson was joking about the name in Iron Man. 

And the pager should  have an tracker.

Edited by andersonhoran

23 minutes ago, Daxtreme said:

They were going to drop a nuclear warhead on Earth and kill everyone (or something akin to a mega-bomb, can't quite remember).

At this point I think it's safe to say that they got what was coming to them. If you go around threatening to nuke planets, you also gotta be ready to die because of retaliation. 

CM easily swept those away and effortlessly fought off all the fighters they threw at her. Destroying that capital ship was her making a point.

Not sure if Mar Vell would approve of that kind of thinking.

I guess further debating this might get too political so i will stop here.

I mean i understand that it was a really impressive scene and added a lot to the spectacle, but it left at least a bit of a bitter aftertaste for me (certainly not MoS level, but still).

Edited by chuck0

There’s also the fact that she may just be remembering who she really is but that for the last 6 years the Kree have been training and conditioning her. That will obviously rub off on you. 

• Like 1