DeeCee

***SPOILERS***Captain Marvel Spoiler Thread | ***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***WARNING SPOILERS ALLOWED***

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

heck Jude Law could be used more as well.

Respectfully, no.  He was there enough, his scenes were effective, and he was The Worst (by that, I mean, it was excellent casting).  Any more of him would've taken away from Carol and Carol's journey.  

• Like 2

I have a confession to make. 

I had to use the facilities the first time I watched it during the section where she steals the motorcycle from that guy.  So I missed the bit where the guy on the bike tries to hit on her and when he doesn’t have any success he asked her to smile. 

:hahaha:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I had to use the facilities the first time I watched it during the section where she steals the motorcycle from that guy.  So I missed the bit where the guy on the bike tries to hit on her and when he doesn’t have any success he asked her to smile.

During that scene I just had the straw in my mouth for a sip of my beverage. See those smile-complains, I 'nearly choked' (not bad, but...) I really had to press my mouth together afterwards to not start to laugh out loud for a moment

• Like 1

Please do not start a new round of anti-whatever...

Only for the fun of it

Read thread too, especially the reactions to the outrage about Fury is washing dishes in the 'review'/reactions.

Spoiler

I am so, so grateful to for introducing us all to the world of fragile male movie reviews 🤣🤣🤣

D1Q1toUW0AAjlgw.jpg

D1Q1toMXcAEkXvN.jpg
D1Q1toIWsAAnUbA.jpg
D1Q1toLXgAAYXWl.jpg

• Haha 2

On 3/9/2019 at 2:25 AM, Blaze Heatnix said:

"The last time I trusted someone, I lost an eye"- Fury, Nick.

Turns out that someone was a cat. 

On 3/9/2019 at 2:27 AM, Daxtreme said:

More like 1 specific person

Not sure if sarcastic or not, but in case you aren't, that someone was Carol Danvers, even if the cat scratched his eye the person whom Nick Fury trusted really was Carol.

To add. It’s not like Fury isn’t a stranger to half-truths when he’s manipulating people. 

• Like 4

One thing I completely forgot. The fight scene where they try to do what the GOTG movies did (with the music playing as they fight) was actually terrible. It certainly felt like some random second unit directors trying to copy Gunn but failing horribly. None of it is artfully done and the music doesn't work with the action at all. If there was one thing I thought that was absolutely terrible about the movie, it was that fight scene (the other fight scenes aren't much better but the choice of music in this one was jarring).

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

One thing I completely forgot. The fight scene where they try to do what the GOTG movies did (with the music playing as they fight) was actually terrible. It certainly felt like some random second unit directors trying to copy Gunn but failing horribly. None of it is artfully done and the music doesn't work with the action at all. If there was one thing I thought that was absolutely terrible about the movie, it was that fight scene (the other fight scenes aren't much better but the choice of music in this one was jarring).

Yeah it being Carol's big moment wasn't handled nearly as well as when Immigrant Song was used when Thor unlocked his powers. 

• Like 1
  • Knock It Off 1

42 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah it being Carol's big moment wasn't handled nearly as well as when Immigrant Song was used when Thor unlocked his powers. 

Garbage's Push It chorus would have been more suited. Reminds me of Any Given Sunday's trailer use. (Also that Nirvana needledrop...That was a bit cringey as well).

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Knock It Off 1

6 hours ago, DeeCee said:

I'm curious whether this scene was always in the script or added in after smilegate.

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

12 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Retweeted

features 5 women in prominent roles (three woc) and I cannot recall a single scene where they talk about men. It’s hands down one of the most friendly superhero movies ever.

Carol

Mirn va

Maria

Mar-Vell

Who is 5th woman? The girl? Monica?

35 minutes ago, eddyxx said:

Carol

Mirn va

Maria

Mar-Vell

Who is 5th woman? The girl? Monica?

i just looked at wikpiedia to count and yes there are 4 female roles in the main cast. not 5.

and I just found out Annette Bening is in this!!

7 hours ago, DeeCee said:

That moment was so surreal for me. I was just DYING in the theater.

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

The music in this film was the perfect mix tape of nearly every iconic female song of the 1990s. The only thing it was really missing was Stay by Lisa Leob and anyrhing by Alanis. 

When Just A Girl kicked in I felt so validated. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As someone who grew up in the 90s I highly appreciated all of the references in this.

Also I'm sure it's been said a lot in this thread (don't feel like going back and reading 20 pages) but that Stan Lee tribute during the Marvel logo followed by "Thank You Stan" was a really nice touch.

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Valonqar said:

just because formulaic marvel never used the overused trope it doesn't make the movie unique. CM's values lie exclusively with the cast and their chemistry, definitely not with the basic af story and direction. the movie isn't an abomination or anything close, it's just super basic, bland and lifeless thanks to the helmers. I hope that Marvel retires them and hires one of ladies that were in the mix for BW or drop truckload of money at Greta Gerwig's doorstep. Too bad that Mao Tse is wasting her talent on Eternals, she'd be great since everyone who saw Riding say it's the best movie of 2018. 

Wow. It just occurred to me that both of Marvel's films in 2020 are female directed films. I knew it but it hadnt clicked until now. 

2 hours ago, eddyxx said:

Wow. It just occurred to me that both of Marvel's films in 2020 are female directed films. I knew it but it hadnt clicked until now. 

5/6 of the big superhero films from Marvel/Sony-Marvel and DC will be written and/or directed by women

• Like 1

3/5 from me.

I blame the directors for a lot of the problems:

first 20 minutes being so poorly lit, it looked like they filmed it in a garage in London. 

Zero interesting camera shots or angles.

Fight choreography was far too close up, rendering them impossible to see or enjoy. 

The songs were perfect, but just didn’t have any strong impact when they were used. 

Brie was good, the friend relationship was great, Goose and Fury were great. 

Standard Marvel solo film quality (for me). At least they finally have a female hero with her own movie, after 20 films. 

Hopefully they get a new director for the second film and a proper story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RealLyre said:

[Mod Edit:Pirated Image]

looking at them side by side, Carol's Endgame suit is wayyyy better but I kinda prefered her old hair

Well, her BFF, wife, daughter, and cat just got dusted**. Probably didn’t have time for a blow dry and curl before she has to go destroy Thanos. 

We all can’t be dramatic gays like Steve, and take time for a shave and custome change. 😂😂😂

*** I am making assumption about the dusting for those three.  Though I would be very happy if they were not.