Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

HIGHER

giphy.gif

FURTHER

giphy.gif

FASTER

giphy.gif

At long last, Captain Marvel, the twenty-first film of the ever-expanding, ever-engaging, ever-ever cinematic saga known as the Marvel Cinematic Universe has arrived. And on the East Coast, it's only little more than an hour until the first batch of American audiences will experience this new release. Not only is Carol Danvers coming to save the world from Thanos, but also from a so far dismal 2019 at the box office. At least $100M is the floor according to trackers, and judging by the Buzz & Tracking Thread, there's strong potential for at least $150M, possibly even breaking the March OW Beauty and the Beast generated in 2017 ($174.7M). This should also hopefully turn the tides for many movies in the future and put 2019 back on track, with films like Us, Dumbo, and Shazam, as well as a summer full of Avengers, Pokemon, genies, pets, toys, spiders, lions, and Tyrese's worst enemies.

The film has already seen strong results overseas and good reviews, and many are excited to see what visionaries Anne Boden and Ryan Fleck have in store. How will Captain Marvel fit into the MCU? How does it connect to the events of Endgame? How will Carol Danvers fit into Endgame and post-Endgame? What will the inevitable sequel have in store? How many threadbans and thread locks will occur on this weekend?

All exciting answers for a hopefully exciting opening. But before we start the party, there are a few important rules people need to follow before they post.

1. ABSOLUTELY NO SPOILERS. NOT EVEN SPOILERS POSTED UNDER SPOILER TAGS. This rule is applied to all weekend threads, but it's especially true for this weekend. Captain Marvel is a highly-anticipated release, and there are many who haven't seen the film yet that don't want to be spoiled by anything not revealed in the marketing. You are free to give general opinions, but try to avoid going into any further detail. This applies to every other movie in theaters. So no Dragon 3 spoilers, no Madea spoilers, etc. If you do spoil something here, you will be banned. No exceptions whatsoever. Don't be a dick.

If you would like to talk about the movie in more detail, click on the Captain Marvel spoiler thread right here.

2. KEEP YOUR AGENDA OUT OF HERE. We get it. Marvel is the greatest film series ever created and all other franchises are below it. Marvel is destroying cinema and Kevin Feige/Bob Iger/Kathleen Kennedy is the spawn of Satan, and DC or James Cameron are gifts from God. Wonder Woman is better than Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel's better than Wonder Woman. Alita's better than Captain Marvel. Captain Marvel's better than Alita. Shazam is the true Captain Marvel. Brie Larson wants to exterminate white men from existence. Yadda yadda yadda.

There's a time and place for these kinds of statements...actually, there isn't. But at the very least, it doesn't belong here. If you want to start these beefs related to all of these dumb children's movies, take it to the Fanboy Wars thread right here. If you do this kind of stuff here, it'll derail the thread and can be considered trolling. The mods will not be kind to the people who started this, I'll tell you that much. Don't be a dick.

3. NO CRITICS CONSPIRACY THEORIES. After certain policy changes in Rotten Tomatoes, and some of the more mixed-to-positive responses, there have been quite a large number of conspiracies popping up about this movie and critics. "THEY'RE JUST BEING BOUGHT. THEY ACTUALLY HATE THE MOVIE BUT ARE FORCED TO SAY NICE THINGS. DISNEY IS RUINING FILM CRITICISM. AUDIENCES ACTUALLY HATE IT. DISNEY IS PUTTING CHEMICALS IN THE WATER THAT TURN THE FROGS GAY"

Yeah, no. We're not gonna have this stuff here. I don't care what evidence you have that exposes the supposed truth. These types of posts are going to derail the thread and can also be considered trolling. We'll allow maybe one or two posts about a potential discrepancy between audiences or critics, or you saying you didn't like the movie or that the crowd you were with weren't into the film, or you arguing there's potential for a bad second weekend drop. But if you start repeating yourself, or said posts are inflammatory, or you start promoting the idea that there's some sort of evil conspiracy going around...yeah, the mods aren't going to be nice. Don't be a dick.

4. NO POLITICS. This weekend sees Marvel's first female-led feature. This is also coming after a swath of controversy after star Brie Larson made a statement wanting more diversity in film journalism and film criticism. If people like it, great! If they don't, also great! Regardless, please do not come after people for liking or disliking a movie for political reasons. This is supposed to be a movie forum where people can talk about the box office and talk about movies without getting hounded by other people. Don't be a dick.

5. THE REPORT AND IGNORE BUTTONS ARE YOUR FRIENDS. See a post that might be breaking the rules? DO NOT RESPOND TO IT. Just hit the Report button, give an explanation to the problem, including the context, then hit "Submit". The mods will determine the post and see if it's breaking the rules, and give out repercussions. See a poster that's consistently being annoying? Then just hit highlight their name, then click "Ignore User" on the pop-up. It'll save lives and hopefully cause less of an uproar or infighting. While trolls are already bad, responding to them only makes it worse. So again...Don't be a dick.

6. IS OFF-TOPIC DISCUSSION OKAY? Well...yes and no. We want people to stick to box office numbers as best as they can. However, there are plenty of dead periods of time with no new numbers, and other discussions will surge. And that's okay, so long as the off topic discussions don't go overboard. So if there's no action, and you want to talk about whether Pluto Nash or Daddy Day Care is better, or who will win The Bachelor, or discuss the discography of Pitbull, that's totally fine. Just remember that when the numbers come to keep those discussions down to a minimum. Keep on doing that, and it becomes a chore for many who just want to know the numbers. We will have a post immediately after this one that will focus on just the numbers always updated to the most recent estimates, but the phrase still applies. Don't. Be. A Dick.

And lastly...

7. DON'T BE A DICK. Threads lately have started to become a little too toxic. Whatever the reason may be, if you're not being nice, you're going to get the banhammer smashed onto you. If you're not sure if your post is nice, think to yourself this: "If I post this, will people get mad?" If so, then don't post it. And if you're unsure if you can handle being nice for one weekend, then, simply put, get out of here. You probably know what I'm gonna say next.

TL;DR. No spoilers, no fanboy wars. Keep it nice, keep it neutral, don't attack others, and you'll be fine. If you don't do this stuff, you'll risk a threadban, a suspension, or even a permanent ban, so tread lightly.

giphy.gif

Here's the legendary Kirk Deveyck, President of all Marvel fans, teaching you how to get prepared for Captain Marvel.

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 9
  • Haha 1

-- POST RESERVED FOR THE NEW NUMBERS THAT WILL SHOW UP OVER THE WEEKEND --

Domestic

Opening Day: $61.4M

Saturday: $53.1M

Sunday: $38.5M

Opening Weekend: $153M

(3rd-highest March Opening)

International

Australia

$10.7M

Brazil

$13.4M

China

$89.3M

France

$9.2M

Germany

$7.8M

India

$6.9M

Indonesia

$10.1M

Korea

$24.1M

Mexico

$12.8M

Russia

$9.8M

UK

$16.8M

Overall

$302M

Worldwide

Global Total: $455M 

(6th-Highest Worldwide Opening)

Edited by CoolEric258
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Wanted to take time off from BOT for a while (partly due to personal reasons, partly due to school being overwhelming right now). I had a good 3 or 4 days of no posting, but started up again yesterday. I just need to be here for event weekends like this :)  

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, DAJK said:

not sure about that but I know it's happened for certain other movies that I ahem won't name ahem getting pushed to ahem certain milestones ahem let me just say I ahem worked at a movie theatre that ahem technically "had booked" hundreds and hundreds of seats during a week for a particular film that probably sold less than 30 tickets all week ahem

giphy.gif

(I'm sure it probably wasn't Spectre, just like referencing the king of all fudge)

Previews begin soon and in a few hours we will have Deadline’s super duper early numbers which will send everyone in a tizzy regardless if they are high or low. 

So what are everyone’s serious final OW prediction for this?

145-150 seems like a safe bet and I am going with 150 using Deadpool 2’s comparison. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

All I'm hoping is @Chewy comes back so that he can roast Ike's bitch-ass all weekend

If he doesn't, you got me.

Also, 

I'm like shaking I'm so excited.  Fifty-One Minutes.  AND, best of all, I'm just so excited to have my internet back!  I can delete "Captain Marvel " from my Site Block Extension.  Do you know how hard it is to use the Internet in fear of Spoilers?  The past week I was down to like BOT's The Tracking Thread and CNN.  Everything else was clearly unsafe and out to get me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1