Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, eddyxx said:

Do they ever do breakdowns of race. Would love to see how many white males there were.

By race - yes.  As a combination, no.

Diversity demos for Captain Marvel are broad: 47% Caucasian, 21% Hispanic, 16% African-American and 12% Asian.

• Like 3

Just now, JB33 said:

And then people would find a way to spin that into a bad thing. 

I'll say only this: at least the men showed up. It's kind of disappointing that the obvious target audience didn't.

what do you mean the target audience didn't show up? The movie just made 150M OW?

in terms of women being 45% of the audience, so what? Most marvel films have 35% women audience or 40%. Captain Marvel has higher women attendance than any other marvel film yet. so I'd say the target audience did show up.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

what do you mean the target audience didn't show up? The movie just made 150M OW?

in terms of women being 45% of the audience, so what? Most marvel films have 35% women audience or 40%. Captain Marvel has higher women attendance than any other marvel film yet. so I'd say the target audience did show up.

Oh I thought I read somewhere that it was 2/3 men. My bad.

• Like 1

Just now, JB33 said:

And then people would find a way to spin that into a bad thing. 

I'll say only this: at least the men showed up. It's kind of disappointing that the obvious target audience didn't.

Sure they showed up.

More women showed up for the opening of CM than WW 

55% of $103m ($56.65m) is lower than 45% of $153m ($68.85m)

$68.85m is also 81% of Doctor Strange and 90.8% of AM&TW and bigger than Thor & CA:TFA unadjusted

• Like 5

Just now, TalismanRing said:

Sure they showed up.

More women showed up for the opening of CM than WW 

55% of $103m ($56.65m) is lower than 45% of $153m ($68.85m)

$68.85m is also 81% of Doctor Strange and 90.8% of AM&TW and bigger than Thor & CA:TFA unadjusted

Yeah, I had false info in mind so disregard what I said.

4 minutes ago, Avatree said:

No Marvel has below 40% of women (just counting the first 2 weeks which also skews a bit male).  Most do low 40s while Avengers was the closest to 50/50 and GOTG2 recently did 44/56. (over the first 2 weeks which is all Comscore tracks or the MPAA publishes)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Hell has frozen over, cause I totally agree with this.

We also need to in factor in that fangirls and fanboys operate almost on different on planets, so the urgency to see it openly weekend for older women isn't always there.  (Not all of us are like me who's seen it three times already.) I think the Spoiler Factor, and the Needs To Be First For The Hot Takes Factor drive the fanboys more than the fangirls. There's a reason that Wonder Woman had 4X legs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

No Marvel has below 40% of women (just counting the first 2 weeks which also skews a bit male).  Most do low 40s while Avengers was the closest to 50/50 and GOTG2 recently did 44/56. (over the first 2 weeks which is all Comscore tracks or the MPAA publishes)

I didnt know that, however, CAptain Marvel is still the highest Women number.

It is interesting to note exits, which show the film playing to an opening weekend crowd that was 55% male and 45% female, which is the smallest gender divide among films in the MCU, but nowhere near the 52% female crowd Wonder Woman played to back in June 2017.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

When it comes to fanbase heavy films you get two types of backlash

1. Is from trolls who are sexist or racist and dont have any impact on box office.

2. From the fanboys who dislike the film itself due to the characters or story or not fitting in with they think the franchise to be about. These people spread bad buzz and really cut into legs.

Captain Marvel never suffered from the problem 2

But you won't see the impact of number 2 until next weekend. I know quite a few hard core Marvel fans who walked away pissed with how this movie was handled. And the complaints weren't against Brie, but the script and the directing. The biggest one about how Nick Fury loses his eye. I haven't watched the movie yet myself. I'm hoping there is a doubt feature with it and End Game, and then maybe I will see it. 

6 minutes ago, Warhorse said:

But you won't see the impact of number 2 until next weekend. I know quite a few hard core Marvel fans who walked away pissed with how this movie was handled. And the complaints weren't against Brie, but the script and the directing. The biggest one about how Nick Fury loses his eye. I haven't watched the movie yet myself. I'm hoping there is a doubt feature with it and End Game, and then maybe I will see it. 

quit a few its not the majority though not everyone will like it thats for sure but from the many many reactions that i have see audience really liked it this trolls haters cant impact anything now the legs can be bad but it wont be bc of them

Edited by john2000

25 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Let's stop pitting Captain Marvel against Wonder Woman.

Especially since Wonder Woman contributed almost as much as, if not equally, as previous MCU films to Captain Marvel's numbers. If WW hadn't existed or worse, had actually been bad to terrible, CM may have had a more uphill climb. 

Regardless, both scenarios turned out perfectly. WW for wowing week after week during her summer and refusing to stop just like Diana through No Man's Land, and CM for opening so ginormously that trolls are probably weeping silently onto their keyboards.

• Thanks 1