Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Same.

Over 2 billies

In my opinion, how much Avatar 2 jumps or fall is on China.

In North America, I think it’ll fall anywhere from 15%-25%, so $580M-$650M with a bigger OW in return, and I think due to market collapse OS will around $1.2B, China I can see anywhere from $200M to $1B.

1 minute ago, Agafin said:

This makes me wonder whether the ticket price of the average 3D blockbuster has even changed much since 2010. According to Mojo, the average ticket price now is roughly 20% higher  than it was in 2010 but I feel like most of that change has been absorbed by 2D movies. Like, Alice In Wonderland made 80% of its business in 3D compared to 14% for Captain Marvel so even with the nine year gap, its atp is probably in the same range as CM (perhaps even higher). Its really a shame that admissions are not reported in North America

its difficult to gauge especially when the price fluctuates between cinemas, I mean some cinemas don't charge any higher for 3D than 2D, while others charge huge premiums.

3 minutes ago, JB33 said:

My point is other people's opinions hold just as much weight as your own.

ok...

back to the matter at hand, they're wrong about Avatar making less than 2 billies. Not possible.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Avatree said:

its difficult to gauge especially when the price fluctuates between cinemas, I mean some cinemas don't charge any higher for 3D than 2D, while others charge huge premiums.

i haven't been to a cinema that didn't charge extra for a 3D showing.

56 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Alita officially won’t get anywhere near its break even point now. 

Well we really do not know the break even point for it or any movie for that matter. Break even points is all over the place for any movie. For Alita we have heard 350, 400, 450, 500 million. Its like this for every movie. Only the studio knows the break even point.

Just now, RichWS said:

14% 3D share reminds me that rejecting the format is one of the few positive decisions we've made.

Don't worry it's on it's way back hard style. You can get rid of something that elavates the medium when done right. It adds to the experience and gives a reason not to watch at home.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

14% 3D share reminds me that rejecting the format is one of the few positive decisions we've made.

And to be honest, I would bet that percentage would be even lower if theaters had more 2D showings. My theater's 3D showtimes start selling once the 2D showtimes begin to sell out. 

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

79% won't hurt considering 29% for Venom definitely didn't.

I have a feeling that adding Wasp as co-lead in AM could have resulted in this level of boost but they downplayed her importance. 😢 I think they didn't want to dampen CM momentum as the (first) flagship for female representation. Paid off for sure though I think the movie would have been this big even if Wasp got more media attention. I think that people were hyped enough, it wasn't either or. 

This was a lead in to End Game.  Or marketed as such.  Ant-Man was viewed by most as a fun time but non-essential.  Being the first female led MCU movie helps but it's more the power of Infinity War and what's next for End Game.  If CM is given Ant-Man's slot it would still do very well but not this kind of OW.