Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

32 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I'm also excited to see how the other films are able to hold this weekend. Hopefully the people who go to the theater when Captain Marvel showings are sold out will decide to see How To Train Your Dragon or Alita: Battle Angel as an alternative.

That likely won't help any other movies around here, because CM is playing on about half the screens in town, with showtimes starting every 15 or 30 minutes. There shouldn't be many sellouts.

• Thanks 1

MT

2019-03-08 01:00:30.875936 UTC
1	84.3%	Captain Marvel
2	4.3%	How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World
3	2%	Tyler Perry's A Madea Family Funeral
4	0.9%	Alita: Battle Angel
5	0.8%	Green Book
2018-04-27 01:01:28.440302 UTC
1	89.6%	Avengers: Infinity War
2	2%	I Feel Pretty
3	1.4%	Quiet Place, A
4	1%	Rampage
5	0.7%	Super Troopers 2
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kitik said:

140 would be great. (but I'm hoping for more)

Under 100 would be disappointing after all the hype and tracking and big presales.

I'd go further than disappointing just b/c of its enormous screen saturation...there's gonna be little box office outside CM this weekend, and if CM, with its enormous presales, really only takes $99M in BO, we'd have another really poor 2019 BO weekend...

But I don't see that happening, unless my area is a similar "Black Panther Atlanta" performer (which I can't rule out, so I'm here to watch the numbers roll in, at least as much as I can:)...

Edited by TwoMisfits

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Just got out of it.  It’s fun!  It has a lot of problems I have with most MCU flicks but it’s got a cat and Brie Larson is great and young Fury is great.  Good time at the movies

does she go higher? further? maybe even faster?

• Like 1

Looking at my areas and all tracking data, I'd put it in the 15-17 range for previews and between 145-165 for OW, which isn't quite Kal-El level range from me but yea its pretty bad. Just feels a little unpredictable. I could easily see it doing GOTG 2 numbers but the potential is there for more. Around me its not doing great on a per screen basis but its doing at least pretty good in all of them and it just has SO MANY fucking screenings that will add up. 

Edited by Cmasterclay
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So what we have till now is

Wednesday: $15mn Approx

Thursday:

South Korea: $2.4mn

China: $2.3mn (Previews)

Russia: $2.1mn

Australia: $1.48mn

Total: $8.3mn (4 markets).

Any markets you know, mention me and post.

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

Sudden twinge of nostalgia for the Hunger Games opening. That was a real "holy shit" moment.

i sometimes catch myself thinking about how this gigantic franchise seems to have left no cultural footprint beyond making jlaw a movie star. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

i sometimes catch myself thinking about how this gigantic franchise seems to have left no cultural footprint beyond making jlaw a movie star. 

I'd argue it helped the idea of making women in mainstream tentpole action movies as leads a think. If THG and especially CF didn't land, Lucasfilm probably wouldn't have created Rey or Jyn Erso, and DC probably wouldn't have fast-tracked Wonder Woman after decades of developoment hell

• Like 3

Just now, RichWS said:

Sudden twinge of nostalgia for the Hunger Games opening. That was a real "holy shit" moment.

Even now, I'm surprised just how big the first two Hunger Games films were. They comfortably outgrossed all the Harry Potter films domestically. I knew the books were popular, but I never realized they were on the same level as Harry Potter. 

4 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

Even she is not a big deal much anymore.

(Dont start a 3 page off topic flame war guys)

1 minute ago, CoolEric258 said:

I'd argue it helped the idea of making women in mainstream tentpole action movies as leads a think. If THG and especially CF didn't land, Lucasfilm probably wouldn't have created Rey or Jyn Erso, and DC probably wouldn't have fast-tracked Wonder Woman after decades of developoment hell

they're a footnote in that respect which is nice, but the movies themselves seem to be pretty thoroughly out of the public consciousness. i guess not surprising with how the series petered out, but even the twilight movies are more discussed and remembered.