Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

sorry I'm on and off line so can't follow page by page but it seems to me there's some shirt in OW expectations. people now expect less than last night (155M-163M). what happened and what's the projection now? caught some under 150M projections, WTF? 

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

sorry I'm on and off line so can't follow page by page but it seems to me there's some shirt in OW expectations. people now expect less than last night (155M-163M). what happened and what's the projection now? caught some under 150M projections, WTF? 

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Friday Estimate

1. Captain Marvel: $62.20mn ($41.50mn True Friday)

2. HTTYD3: $3.4mn

3. Madea Funeral: $3.2mn

4. Alita: $0.9mn

5. LEGO: $0.85mn 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Forgot about The Long Kiss Goodnight. Movie was awesome and Geena Davis was awesome.

‘Die screaming mf’er!’

And '90s Sam Jackson, original model! And the writer of a certain MCU movie, in his prime and unconstrained by MCU! I forgot about it too for a minute there but damn that movie rules.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

we still expect 150-160 

2 hours ago, Bagatelle31 said:

Your Opening is a bit High, 97M china + 158M US + 145M OS = $400M is my guess 

The more cautious members were saying its possible the 1/2 day off / public holiday on Friday for all women might inflate Friday in a bigger way than the usual calculation models and comparisons let a lot assume.

Looks like they were right, OW China might be 'only' (as if that would be only) $90-? too

Local events, changing traditions (like IWD in the past small, in some regions for reason instantly being huge), I think too many ppl look too closely on pattern :)

= generally speaking.

One of many reason I never guess results, pure final numbers for me. Worldwide.

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

the only thing we dont know for sure yet i the overseas ow without china we know that ow in china that ow will be around 100 same with usa around 160 maybe a little more or less we will know today

see above

Nothing is known for sure before not all is counted and released 😉

10 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Have seen quite a few people who have said this including critics and youtube reviewers. Maybe the problem was with the character of Carol and directing.

As I study the background of the movie business since a long time, I also look into things like social media and its impact. And movements, things ppl do bcs they are en vogue / fashionable to do, to bash or love,...

= I took the opportunity to read through / skimming through literally thousands of tweets. Incl to do a kind of counter about positive - negative ratio, as the software doing this is faulty to a degree its not shown anymore.

CM pro 40-50 vs 1 negative

If details get mentioned in the positive tweets she gets lots of praise. Not all mention her, quite some praise for Talos/Mendelson, the cat, and Fury too. I read also tweets like: she is Captain Marvel now (with positive emojis)

Funnily the action too gets praised, something here not all will agree to.

The opposition: yes there are ppl saying negative points about the movie, incl details members said in the movie's threads, who liked the movie. That incl critism about her too.

What I discount as a critic (but is in the + vs - counter) are tweets were the wording makes it clear the person has not even seen the movie (partly still saying she is miscast or a bad actress or,....). Some of them say in other tweets later written to not have seen it too.

= soooo, we have 40-50 positives vs 1 negative as said.

Not all positives praise her, not all negatives have even seen the movie

= I'd say the majority liked her work, probably the fast majority

Majority of the reviews by critics mentioning her see her work as positive.

Out of the group of critics a few think, like you and your found reactions, too she might be not the right one (I read through the earlier released ones, the newer ones are ~ back-logged till I find the time), or she didn't get enough to do per script/directing

= in the sum those are the minority up to the point I read them yet.

= see this please only as providing some numbers / proportions, not as a problem with your POV.

The only thing I'd prefer, if someone takes the effort to look for reactions, to provide impressions about +/- ratio too, so members get to see a more complex picture. No need to agree with me 😉

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

And '90s Sam Jackson, original model! And the writer of a certain MCU movie, in his prime and unconstrained by MCU! I forgot about it too for a minute there but damn that movie rules.

That and Sam's outfits deserved an Oscar

Long-Kiss-Goodnight-samuel-l-jackson-140tlkgmitch-cl4a-trou.jpgLong-Kiss-Goodnight-samuel-l-jackson-140

• Like 2

Gonna watch Captain Marvel in a few hours and share my thoughts. Before I do I just want to say something: my opinion regarding this movie in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter. What matters is that little girls and women have another super hero that they can look up to. Another fierce, bad ass and strong woman on the big screen. Whether I walk out loving Captain Marvel or not loving it, doesn't change any of that. I'm just happy that young girls have another bad ass character that they can dress up as, buy toys for and say "I'm gonna be Captain Marvel," when they fake fight with their friends. And in my opinion that's the most important thing that could come out of this movie and other movies like it (For example Wonder Woman) 

Edited by Nova
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Gonna watch Captain Marvel in a few hours and share my thoughts. Before I do I just want to say something: my opinion regarding this movie in the grand scheme of things doesn't matter. What matters is that little girls and women have another super hero that they can look up to. Another fierce, bad ass and strong woman on the big screen. Whether I walk out loving Captain Marvel or not loving it, doesn't change any of that. I'm just happy that young girls have another bad ass character that they can dress up as, buy toys for and say "I'm gonna be Captain Marvel," when they fake fight with their friends. And in my opinion that's the most important thing that could come out of this movie and other movies like it (For example Wonder Woman) 

I know a better role model they can go see.

e3aebfe0d5a7f7c22c7ac8a94474e083.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, IronJimbo said:

Or how about they can go see both? Why does it have to be some competition between two bad ass female characters? No one does this with Male characters/super heroes so I don't know why some of you guys are hell bent on pitting female characters against each other as if they can't all co-exist and all be role models for young girls. 

• Like 16

1 minute ago, Nova said:

Or how about they can go see both? Why does it have to be some competition between two bad ass female characters? No one does this with Male characters/super heroes so I don't know why some of you guys are hell bent on pitting female characters against each other as if they can't all co-exist and all be role models for young girls. 

Did I say otherwise? If they had to pick one they should choose Alita.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

Also Alita is sexy even though she's CGI. Meanwhile Captain Marvel is not very attractive even though she's real human.

• ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 4

2 minutes ago, Nova said:

Well it's ironjumbo do you really expect him to not try and convince everyone that Alita is better than the evil mouse? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

The more cautious members were saying its possible the 1/2 day off / public holiday on Friday for all women might inflate Friday in a bigger way than the usual calculation models and comparisons let a lot assume.

Looks like they were right, OW China might be 'only' (as if that would be only) $90-? too

Local events, changing traditions (like IWD in the past small, in some regions for reason instantly being huge), I think too many ppl look too closely on pattern :)

= generally speaking.

One of many reason I never guess results, pure final numbers for me. Worldwide.

see above

Nothing is known for sure before not all is counted and released 😉

As I study the background of the movie business since a long time, I also look into things like social media and its impact. And movements, things ppl do bcs they are en vogue / fashionable to do, to bash or love,...

= I took the opportunity to read through / skimming through literally thousands of tweets. Incl to do a kind of counter about positive - negative ratio, as the software doing this is faulty to a degree its not shown anymore.

CM pro 40-50 vs 1 negative

If details get mentioned in the positive tweets she gets lots of praise. Not all mention her, quite some praise for Talos/Mendelson, the cat, and Fury too. I read also tweets like: she is Captain Marvel now (with positive emojis)

Funnily the action too gets praised, something here not all will agree to.

The opposition: yes there are ppl saying negative points about the movie, incl details members said in the movie's threads, who liked the movie. That incl critism about her too.

What I discount as a critic (but is in the + vs - counter) are tweets were the wording makes it clear the person has not even seen the movie (partly still saying she is miscast or a bad actress or,....). Some of them say in other tweets later written to not have seen it too.

= soooo, we have 40-50 positives vs 1 negative as said.

Not all positives praise her, not all negatives have even seen the movie

= I'd say the majority liked her work, probably the fast majority

Majority of the reviews by critics mentioning her see her work as positive.

Out of the group of critics a few think, like you and your found reactions, too she might be not the right one (I read through the earlier released ones, the newer ones are ~ back-logged till I find the time), or she didn't get enough to do per script/directing

= in the sum those are the minority up to the point I read them yet.

= see this please only as providing some numbers / proportions, not as a problem with your POV.

The only thing I'd prefer, if someone takes the effort to look for reactions, to provide impressions about +/- ratio too, so members get to see a more complex picture. No need to agree with me 😉

Um,what. I was referring to Baumer's comment about Brie being miscast. It is a very unique comment that I don't usually see people saying at all after seeing a movie. But a couple of people have mentioned here, I have seen two youtube reviewers mention it, and I read the same in a critic review.

Just now, pepsa said:

Well it's ironjumbo do you really expect him to not try and convince everyone that Alita is better than the evil mouse? 

Alita has big heart! Go see her.

Can't speak for CM but I've seen the trailers, all I'm saying.

• Like 2