Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

57 minutes ago, KJsooner said:

Wrong. The reviewer determines whether the added review to RT is positive or negative. I don’t know how many times I’ve had to say this, but it’s hilarious to read how people still don’t get how Rotten Tomatoes works. 

yes and no. The reviewer decide. If they decide, what the most do.

But not all. Then RT tries to find the right 'slot'

Counts for +/- = score and, also seldom, for the rating

= as both versions are possible, maybe the reason why some get confused

23 minutes ago, LexJoker said:

Um,what. I was referring to Baumer's comment about Brie being miscast. It is a very unique comment that I don't usually see people saying at all after seeing a movie. But a couple of people have mentioned here, I have seen two youtube reviewers mention it, and I read the same in a critic review.

So you only saw those couple of comments + the 2 YT and nothing else? ;)

That is what I meant, I prefer to get a hint about proportions, but you do not have to agree to me.

If I take a look and use the impression I got here, I migt have formulated it like this:

majority seem not to agree, but I saw a few / some / 10% / whatever, that see it like you and me too.

= no one gets a :rant: reaction (a major point here to avoid), members get a feel for what your research brought up too, can apreciate the work :wub: (a major point too I think) for the little added detail even more.

If you do not agree to this POV, no problem, I do not want to spread this even more, it was more to give a hint how I think your research would be even more helpful.

I would say the most iconic shots in Comic Book films this decade is (no Order)

Avengers Circle Shot

Cap vs Iron Man Civil War Fight

No Mans Land Wonder Women

Super Sayian Thor in Avengers Infinity Wars

What do you guys think? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Nova said:

1. If you dont like Marvel movies then dont go watch them. It's not like anyone is forcing you to watch them. 

2. Well they can take the hundreds of millions of dollars that they spend on male super heroes then and invest that money or or or or they can spend money on both. 

Again. Not everything has to be black or white. 

I think you have missed my point, I just think it's wrong to say "we can all agree that a generic marvel film is a good thing for everybody"

9 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Cant call Wonder Women Forgettable....

I would say the No Man land scene is one of the most iconic comic book movie shots of the decade with the Avengers circle shot, 

it's an iconic scene. movie as a whole not so much thanks to Ares third act, though romance was fantastic (the temporary deafness and then remembering what Steve said was super emotional). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Avengers Circle Shot

What do you guys think? 

And that from a Dragonball Fan ...

Not only wrong grammar, in Thors Case that looked more like Super Saiyan Blue ;)

Other than that i agree with you. Though i woundt call anything from Civil War iconic. Maybe something out of Black Panther? Though i cant pinpoint a really "iconic" shot from the movie right now.

Edited by Brainbug
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Avengers Circle Shot

What do you guys think? 

I remember the first time watching Wonder Woman in theaters and not being much of a fan of the movie as a whole (that changed upon second viewing a year later lol) but No Mans Land scene gave me chills while watching it in theaters. Really epic. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Avengers Circle Shot

What do you guys think? 

Not bad. I'd add Guardians joining hands to defeat Ronin or "We are Groot..." to that mix. Black Panther has a few as well. And, any shot that includes Hawkeye. Any Goldblum shot in Ragnarok.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, The Panda said:

There’s apparently an “Alita Challenge” in which some of the alt-right who are attacking CM are encouraging people to go see Alita instead.

It literally makes no sense given Alita will soon be a Disney product and also has a female lead, but it is a thing apparently.

I have a theory about that

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

They’re kind of dumb

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I remember sitting the theater during this being like "WHAT THE"..."As soon as Steves like "This is no "mans" land", I  figured out what we going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Ororo Munroe said:

A movie with 150M+ opening, A cinemascore, good word of mouth/buzz and we're talking about the problems with it and how it's forgettable, lol. 

Having seen the movie myself, I would say it's in the second tier of MCU movies at worst. Not quite in my top 5 but certainly top 10. A solid movie from start to finish, with no obvious flaws, imo. That a movie like Doctor Strange, which actually is forgettable for me, recieved more praise from critics is baffling, indeed. 

Kinda that although what bothers me most with the MCU (and I'm a Marvel and DC fan) is this lack of a true vision, of a sense of authorship. I understand why some folks refer to Feige as kind of the mastermind even though he's not directing. It feels more like the TV model where the directors are like guest directors so to speak. I like Fleck and Boden's work, usually, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you that they directed this, just like I couldn't tell you who directed the Ant-Man films (if I didn't know) or Dr Strange, or Thor: TDW, (I'd include Ragnarok but people don't seem to like it when I do :D ), hell, most of the MCU films aside from Black Panther I'd say. And The Russos arguably, even though they don't really have a particular style I'd say.

It just feels interchangeable to me, like assembly line products, a formula, very by the numbers. CM felt like AM&TW to me in that sense, I like it, I enjoy it but it's so gutless, so safe, there's no visual stamp (a few interesting shots interspersed throughout, otherwise it's the good old Marvel Studios visual scheme), no distinct vision and I'll probably forget about it in a few days. I'd say the way the memories were dealt with in the opening of the film is pretty cool, but otherwise, it's on automatic. Larson is good but doesn't have enough material to shine like she did in Room for example (I know, very different), Mendelsohn is great as always, Law is strong, the rest is fine. The action is fine. 

The CG de-aging though, if there is much of it, I don't know, because it looks flawless. Saw it in laser IMAX (great 3D by the way, stood out more than usual) and it just struck me as great practical makeup (and L.Jackson looks younger than his age) mixed in with some small amount of CG. Same for Gregg, maybe one shot towards the end, might have been the lighting where his mouth looked perhaps a tad unnatural, but not sure.

I hope Marvel starts taking more risks and perhaps starts from scratch visually for example and gives their directors and DPs more room to craft more memorable films and visuals, etc. There have so many great cinematographers working on several of those films, and it always seems like their talent is wasted, one hand tied behind their backs, geez. 

The mid credits scene is exciting though, very excited for Endgame. 

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Cant call Wonder Women Forgettable....

I would say the No Man land scene is one of the most iconic comic book movie shots of the decade with the Avengers circle shot, 

That's doesn't mean the movie isn't forgettable as a whole. I find WW enjoyable but for me, the quality of the movie declines as it progresses. The second act is underwhelming and the 3rd act is..shaky, at best. The villains are absolutely forgettable. Its strength is the action and the chemistry between the leads. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Avengers Circle Shot

What do you guys think? 

I'm guessing you're not a DC fan at all. MOS and BvS have tons. So does Aquaman. Shazam ! already has one as well. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

And that from a Dragonball Fan ...

Not only wrong grammar, in Thors Case that looked more like Super Saiyan Blue ;)

Other than that i agree with you. Though i woundt call anything from Civil War iconic. Maybe something out of Black Panther? Though i cant pinpoint a really "iconic" shot from the movie right now.

Yeah the shots in Civil War are not that iconic outside of the superhero fanbase but I think the fight between Iron Man and Captain was quite a memorable one for MCU fans. That whole scene is rather tragic and sad, I actually dont like watching it lol 

Circle shot in Avengers is one of the most famous movie shots of the decade I think. That scene really demonstrated we entered a new era for blockbuster and superhero films (team films) 

Edited by Lordmandeep

2 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I'm guessing you're not a DC fan at all. MOS and BvS have tons. So does Aquaman. Shazam ! already has one as well. 

You forgot about Justice League 

cavill_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqVkR74_kydjgeTPI

An iconic moment in cinema 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1