Eric Duncan

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

considering that male attendance beat female one (especially on Woman's Day!), that's truly an epic fail for "boycotters". :rofl:

Yeah, the male percentage was nearly two-thirds for Captain Marvel's opening day. It's like the embodiment of the "there are dozens of us" meme.

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

WW was a WOM hit but considering it was the most iconic female SH finally getting the big screen treatment, it should have played like much bigger event on OW than it did. Like, when Katniss Everdeen beats your OW 4 times, you gotta wonder. Of course, all ended well but there's no denying that MCU would have probably gotten 200M OW if WW was their property.

and if WW 1984 looks good and if stuff like Shazam continues to build the brand, it will probably do 150-170 as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lets be honest the Male fans of the MCU were gonna show up in droves due to the role CM plays in the AVengers storyline. 

ah but they showed up after weeks of raging, rampaging, review-bombing and vowing they wouldn't. :hahaha:

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

ah but they showed up after weeks of raging, rampaging, review-bombing and vowing they wouldn't. :hahaha:

When it comes to fanbase heavy films you get two types of backlash

1. Is from trolls who are sexist or racist and dont have any impact on box office.

2. From the fanboys who dislike the film itself due to the characters or story or not fitting in with they think the franchise to be about. These people spread bad buzz and really cut into legs.

Captain Marvel never suffered from the problem 2

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

ya think? it's possible i guess. people wanted to see another female super hero. WW was the appetizer

I don't buy that explanation tbh. I think CM succeeded in its own right thanks to MCU selling it like never-seen-before event despite WW getting there first. CM hype completely obliterated WW. It was as if WW never happened. I mean, look at CM OS. in 3-4 days it made only 100M less than WW's OS lifetime. that has nothing to do with WW appetizer. CM simply appealed more whether because people liked previews better or have such trust in MCU. but make no mistake, this would happen without WW because, as I already said, they managed to hype CM as the most important event for women.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

So where is that fabled video of that one guy who said he would eat you know what if Captain Marvel grossed over 100 million?

Don't worry, Octavia Spencer is on her way to his house with a special delivery.

Related image

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

When it comes to fanbase heavy films you get two types of backlash

1. Is from trolls who are sexist or racist and dont have any impact on box office.

2. From the fanboys who dislike the film itself due to the characters or story or not fitting in with they think the franchise to be about. These people spread bad buzz and really cut into legs.

Captain Marvel never suffered from the problem 2

I see what you did here which is why I have full faith in my CM Over IX Club.:stirthepot:

Edited by Valonqar
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

considering that male attendance beat female one (especially on Woman's Day!), that's truly an epic fail for "boycotters". :rofl:

more of a fail for International Womans Day than for boycottrers.

It will be interesting to see how high an R rated Black Widow movie would open to.

Also, i wish Marvel would have considered making a Peggy Parker with the original SHIELD cinematic version sooner, rather than a TV serie.

2 minutes ago, Ent said:

It will be interesting to see how high an R rated Black Widow movie would open to.

Also, i wish Marvel would have considered making a Peggy Parker with the original SHIELD cinematic version sooner, rather than a TV serie.

Didn't they shoot the rumor that Black Widow is gonna be rated R down recently?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ent said:

The success of Logan and Deadpool tells me that it has potential to open anywhere from $90M to $120M+ if they get it right. They might not be able to tap into the family audience of the MCU but I think there’s still potential for it to do big numbers if they get it right even with the R-rating. But it all depends on how they sell the movie and what exactly it’s about.