The Wild Eric

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

You can't lock 400DOM and Billion after OW even with these numbers. Reactions are good but they aren't buzzing like BP either.

There is also potential frontloading from the Endgame tie in stuff. Now that thats done how many repeat viewings are there going to be? (haven't seen the movie yet myself). 

The movie is a success based on OW alone with a 152 budget but legs aren't guaranteed especially without holidays or summer. 

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

WOM will be good. Once again, GA =/= Internet. they don't care if XY reference from another movie was slightly retconned. fans tend to make a huge deal about such things that GA doesn't notice. There's no reason for WOM to be toxic. 

Nobody said that WOM will be toxic.

But on the other hand, it won't be extraordinary either (I think). Maybe it will be...mediocre, like most of the reviews seem to convey. I have no idea why CW had such underwhelming legs, but I do not recall seeing so many meh reactions to that (much better reviewed) MCU film. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Captain Marvel China

Previews: $2.3mn
Friday: $32.14mn
Saturday: $33.63mn
Sunday: $20.68mn
Monday: $6.70mn

Total: $95.45mn

Comp

Ant-Man and The Wasp $9.24mn Monday

Heading for $140mn full run.

nice very good,waiting for the actuals :) by the way thank you for all the updates

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

We don't know that either (unless we truly interviewed every single person that came out of theatres on OW. Tweets are just a sampling, but for me, I will wait till the second and third week drops to assess whether there really is a audiences love it or audiences hate it narrative brewing or not.

And the Cinemascore, well we all know that these types of films will certainly bring the staunchest CBM fans on OW, and that alone will invariably inflate the Cinemascore.

What I have noticed is that, for an MCU film, CM has garnered a whole lot of mixed/meh/so-so reactions from the normally salivating/hyperbolic MCU fandom. I am not talking about the white dudebros trolls who "hate" the film sight unseen; I mean even here, you have a whole lot of fans who are halfheartedly it'saiighting the film and just hoping that Endgame will make better use of Carol. I don't recall the last time an MCU film got so many lukewarm reactions from MCU aficionados (Dr. Strange?)

I see a lot of very enthusiastic reactions by females (and males).

Looking into IMDb, where you can see the gender split up, it sit now at 6.9/10 for males (yesterday it was 6.8), and since a tim at 8/10 with the females.

In a not small website in SK you too can see the gender split up, usually rather equal, not with CM.

I think for the majority CM might be a filler to the time till Endgame (I guess those wont re-watch much), and for others its a hure fresh breath of 'finally' and 'fun' for things I think the most males do not even see / realise.

I love the movie. Is it without fault? No, but even the very rare movies I judge as 10/10 are not.

To me its not always about film art, its about having fun too. Or to see things rarely or never seen before. And with this one I had both, fun and 'finally this and that'

And that makes it to me re-watch material for some (acc Twitter I am not alone with that fun view)

Btw, I like DS too a lot more than the most here, not all here do the ratings, not all here want to have to explain again the whys and so on.

That's why I love DeeCee's style of rating: its a 6-10 out of 10 (I think he means its 'fresh')

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

But on the other hand, it won't be extraordinary either (I think). Maybe it will be...mediocre, like most of the reviews seem to convey. I have no idea why CW had such underwhelming legs, but I do not recall seeing so many meh reactions to that (much better reviewed) MCU film. 

Yup. So 2.5 multiplier seems like a fair bet.

• Like 1

Just now, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

you said that we cant judge the recepetion of the movie yet you do the same things with so many little info based from one forum ? and i said that most of people like it and i have see many many many reactions mostly positive,either way it doesnt matter at the end the legs will show us 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

Hero vs Hero

It was slow

Ending wasn't upbeat

I actually liked it a lot but clearly audiences weren't keen on repeat viewings despite praise from critics and mcu fans. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I think the hero vs hero aspect limited repeat viewings. Seeing your favorite heroes fight each other probably wasn't as fun to some people.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

That's very, very rare for a MCU movie that opened this big. Only Black Panther and Avengers had a 3 multiplier or better when opening over $100M. Seems hugely unlikely.

i thought you understood that i wasnt really serious about 3 multi 

7 minutes ago, LouisianaArkansasGeorgia said:

I see your point but, again, there's a difference between GA WOM and fandom WOM. sometimes they overlap, sometimes they don't. GA doesn't need perfection to give movie a recommendation. should I see it? yes. done. variations between "just OK" and "OMG Amazing" don't really matter. that's why CW had amazing WOM among geeks (OMG ANT MAN IS RIDING HAWKEYE"S ARROW I'M JIZZING MUH PANTS!!!) but not so good among GA (wtf was that airport fight? why are they hating each other?). 

• Like 1

I like this presentation out of the International thread

10 hours ago, expensiveho said:

D1TvCLxWoAYldpW?format=jpg

There's a big gap on WW OW between the billion grossers and the 3 ones on the 800-900m range (then come the ones on the 600-800m range and the ones on the <600m range, with GOTG being the only exception to the rule)

I think 1.1b is pretty safe unless it collapses, just hoping it can leg it out to over CW.

9 minutes ago, nevermore said:

I think the hero vs hero aspect limited repeat viewings. Seeing your favorite heroes fight each other probably wasn't as fun to some people.

I find that whole sentiment strange honestly since that was the whole selling point in the first place.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cookie said:

I find that sentiment strange honestly since that was the whole selling point in the first place.

Yeah but when I watch Civil War, the whole climax really is a downer and I dont feel very pleased after watching it.

If I feel that as a MCU fan imagine a more casual fan. 

Edited by Lordmandeep