Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

Quick look at how it's performing for the 7 PM shows in Victoria:

IMAX: 363/431

367% Glass (13.5M previews or 147.8M weekend)

119% Aquaman (10.67M previews or 80.5M weekend)

144% Fantastic Beasts (13.1M previews or 89.5M weekend)

504% Bohemian Rhapsody (19.66M previews or 257M weekend lol)

Guess I don't really have any good comps for this... haven't tracked any Marvel movies here (only began in October) so I guess this doesn't give much. If you really want to look closely into it though it's more down to Earth here than in other places I guess, but we'll see how late shows and Friday hold up. 

• Thanks 2

Hello all! A brief introduction. I'm Timothy, a lawyer (bar exam in couple months, fingers crossed!), lifetime Marvel comics fan and collector, gym rat, and all around movie fan. I'm seeing Captain Marvel with on a date tomorrow, but I am going to sneak and see it in a few minutes because I'm feeling a little hyped up for another Marvel flick. Hopefully it kicks ass! 

Edited by IcarusReborn
  • Like 20

3 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Basically what the Buzz & Tracking thread was indicating towards.  Obviously a fantastic number either way

What did they originally say for Black Panther?

4 minutes ago, FlashMaster659 said:

What nonsense is this? Deadline posts basically the reasonable expected range? Now there isn’t anything for either side to freak out about until they update in an aeon 😕 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On the low end, using Black Panther's True Friday jump and Saturday drop, as well as BatB's Sunday drop...

20M

60.3M (inc. previews)

52.4M

40.3M

153M

On the high end...

24M

72.3M (inc. previews)

62.8M

48.4M

183.5M

So either #NotaRecord or #IsaRecord. Either barely above Hunger Games or barely above Incredibles 2. Either way, this is going to be a wild weekend.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DAJK said:

What did they originally say for Black Panther?

It was initially $22-24M, only for it to end up with 25.2M. So it very well could increase....but the wider gap compared to BP makes me say otherwise. :lol: Either way, it's on the right track for good numbers

Edited by CoolEric258

I also went through a quick scroll through "captain marvel" on Twitter (thankfully no spoilers), but reactions seem really positive. Obviously these are preview audiences, and there are a few eh reactions here and there, but there's plenty of "amazing" and "great" reactions, that it's probably gonna play well with audiences throughout the weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, CoolEric258 said:

I also went through a quick scroll through "captain marvel" on Twitter (thankfully no spoilers), but reactions seem really positive. Obviously these are preview audiences, and there are a few eh reactions here and there, but there's plenty of "amazing" and "great" reactions, that it's probably gonna play well with audiences throughout the weekend

My audience seemed to enjoy it. Lots of laughs and a few cheers.

• Thanks 1

Not surprised CM is blowing up, when the box office has been dead and you make a product audiences want they’ll flock. I can see US breaking out in the $60M-$70M range and Dumbo doing the same due to how weak the market is.

Basic question but what trailers got the best reactions at your screening of Captain Marvel.

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Basic question but what trailers got the best reactions at your screening of Captain Marvel.

Easily Spider-Man. Frozen 2 in second place. Then Hobbs and Shaw which people seemed a little confused about.

2 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Not surprised CM is blowing up, when the box office has been dead and you make a product audiences want they’ll flock. I can see US breaking out in the $60M-$70M range and Dumbo doing the same due to how weak the market is.

Spider-Man: Far From Home easily.

EDIT: Oh and Shazam as well. 

Edited by Mulder

1 minute ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

Shazam! definitely got a great reaction. Coupled with the social media reactions it got today I can see it breaking out despite the I suppose "low key" marketing WB has done for it.