Eric Atreides

CAPTAIN MARVEL WEEKEND THREAD l $153M DOM (3rd-biggest March opening), $455M WW (6th biggest WW opening) l Other weekend #s: Dragon 14.7, Madea 12, Lego 3.8, Alita 3.2

It’s pretty hard to be disappointed with 150-155 million, unless you set yourself up for 180-200 million as the expectation. Anecdotally, just scanning the AMC app in my area, theaters look a lot busier today than they did yesterday. I would say that bodes well for a 30%+ jump from true Friday. I remember during BP’s run, Fridays were often average, but then it would completely blow the doors off on Saturdays. May be the same thing here, as more families go to the movies on Saturdays and Sundays. 

It sure is fun when big movies hit the market. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Bit unfair since TIH adjusts to 170M total gross ;)

Earnestly meant?

Adjusted is not what in the usual charts is used.

And it wasn't about that POV anway.

Its about the surprise during realising that (again, I am more into afterwads analyzing, final numbers,... so I usually am not aware about those things)

13 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I am not saying it's a great choice of words, especially in regards to a huge box office weekend, lol.

I am guessing he lurkes at the CM thead in the International sub-forum :ph34r:

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Very early number, $52-54mn Saturday.

Ps. Since I know how film played on Friday, I am not that conservative. So consider that.

-13% from opening Friday, GOTG2 had an 8% drop from opening Friday.

Interesting.

48 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I don't know, I'm just not seeing it, I feel like "anyone" could direct those films. And, real question but Watts? He had made two films before Spider-Man, it's not as if he'd already developed a style, the Russos had done some episodes of Arrested Development, Community, two comedies, same deal. Gunn, yeah, I guess his quirkiness is there although toned down, but I guess most blockbusters feel this way but most especially the MCU to me. Black Panther is an outlier for me, this is Ryan Coogler all the way. IW, I really dig like all the ones the Russos directed. Everything else is just completely forgettable imo. 

Not to start another debate, but every DC film (aside from Justice League, thanks Joss), I see a vision, I see visual flair, I know who directed each and everyone of those films. 

I don't think the number of movies matter much. My point was moreso that  you can see a difference in style. Watts isn't really similar to anyone else. Homecoming has more in common with a traditional teen comedy than any other MCU movie. Ragnarok and Guardians have the most similarities but I think that's moreso because Waititi and Gunn have similar styles. 

As for DC, MoS and BvS certainly has Snyder's style all over it. And Wan added his stamp to Aquaman. But I honestly struggle to see what makes WW a Patty film. It's visually appealing and certainly has the most coherent narrative of all the DCEU movies but I don't know that it has a distinct style. SS is just a mess, I'm sorry. 

• Like 1