Ezen Baklattan

THE 2019 BOFFY AWARDS: Spider-Verse Wins 7 Including Picture, Cuaron Wins Director, The Favourite Wins Ensemble

Order of awards:

1. Box Office Awards
  2. Best Overlooked Feature
  3. Best Animated Feature
  4. *AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR*
  5. User Awards
  6. Worst Feature
  7. *BLACKkKLANSMAN*
  8. Hero/Villain Awards
  9. Best Sound Design
  10. *BLINDSPOTTING*
  11. Best Costume Design
  12. Best Production Design
  13. Best Original Score
  14. *THE FAVOURITE*
  15. Best Soundtrack
  16. Best Cinematography
  17. Best Overlooked Film
  18. Best Makeup and Hairstyling
  19. Best Original Song
  20. *IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK*
  21. Best Comedy
  22. Best Film Editing
  23. Best Visual Effects
  24. Best Voice Performance
  25. *LEAVE NO TRACE*
  26. Best Supporting Actor
  27. Best Original Screenplay
  28. Best TV Series
  29. *MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT*
  30. Best Supporting Actress
  31. Best Adapted Screenplay
  32. *ROMA*
  33. Best Actor
  34. Best Actress
  35. *A STAR IS BORN*
  36. Best Ensemble
  37. Best Director
  38. *SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE*
  39. Best Picture

• Like 3

Thanks is coming.

Oh so many damn heroes.

Half of them go bye.

Stop the KKK!

They're a thing of the past, right?

Nope. See Charlottesville.

Thomas Jefferson

Dealing with change in Oakland

Lots of rhyming here.

Queen Anne's uneasy.

Rachel and Emma want her.

One's mean to rabbits.

A tale of two folks

Unjustly jailed, Pregnant alone.

Trust love all the way.

Hiding in the woods.

Think of Captain Fantastic

But less obnoxious

OMG THE JUMP

OMG THE CLIFF SIDE SCENE

TOM CRUISE IS ALIVE?!

The life of a maid,

Vivid film, but tiny screen.

Netflix gives no fucks.

We're off the deep end,

This relationship is doomed.

Gaga can act well!

There's Spider-People

But not too many heroes

None of them go bye.

WELCOME TO THE 2018/19 BOFFY AWARDS!

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 1

There are many times we love tracking the box office, and many times we don't. Here are the nominees for the latter.

MOST SOUL CRUSHING BOX OFFICE RUN

Annihilation

$32,732,301

Bohemian Rhapsody

$215,228,036

First Man

$44,936,545

Paddington 2

$40,891,591

Solo: A Star Wars Story

$213,767,512

Widows

$42,402,632

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Paddington 2

Image result for sally hawkins paddington 2 underwater

We were not kind and polite, so the world is not right.

Runner Up: Bohemian Rhapsody

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1

Thankfully, there's nowhere to go but up.

MOST EPIC BOX OFFICE RUN

Avengers: Infinity War

$678,815,482

Black Panther

$700,059,566

Bohemian Rhapsody

$215,228,036

Crazy Rich Asians

$174,532,921

A Quiet Place

$188,024,361

A Star is Born

$214,532,255

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Black Panther

Image result for black panther gif

Wakanda Forever. $700m+ of a FEBRUARY release?!?!

Runner Up: Crazy Rich Asians

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

It's time to see if @Blankments can rest easy.

BEST ANIMATED FEATURE

Incredibles 2

Isle of Dogs

Mirai

Ralph Breaks The Internet

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Teen Titans GO! To The Movies

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

Image result for spiderman gif

Huge upset, I know.

Runner Up: Incredibles 2

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

BEST PICTURE NOMINEE

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

Image result for infinity war

So… INFINITY WAR.

The first thing that comes to mind is payoff.

(Payoff as in paying off all the critics)

(No no, get away from me with that straitjacket, I promise I’ll behave)

The real story of INFINITY WAR starts over ten years ago, when Marvel took the first major step on a journey that, to be honest, had to seem like a long shot. Raising the funds for IRON MAN and getting the picture made was a home run to start, for sure, and since then, Marvel has hardly slowed in its meticulous plan towards a massive, ground-breaking view of what blockbusters could become. Each step, each fledging franchise, was charted not only for its own individual stories, but planned as part of a much larger triptych; even the first AVENGERS can now be seen as a trial run for something much, much larger.

I see plans within plans, in other words.

Plans, and just as importantly, curation. Marvel has a back catalog of thousands of stories, and to their immense credit, they’ve been very willing to pick writers and filmmakers who seem like they’d be a good fit and then allowing them nearly free rein within this treasure trove of characters and stories going back 50-60 years — Nicole Perlman, for example, has talked about when Marvel first brought her onboard and let her wander through their collections to pick what she wanted. (Guardians of the Galaxy, obviously). There have been other multi-film sagas of genre storytelling, of course, but they’ve always been essentially the product of one filmmaker and their team (Peter Jackson’s LOTR, Burton’s and Nolan’s Batman movies, etc). Marvel stands out for bringing together a whole collection of filmmakers who’ve played together wonderfully, each of them developing characters (or groups of characters) and then handing them off to each other, and it feels pretty dang seamless overall.

So… INFINITY WAR.

It’s the culmination of all this work and effort. Ever since Thanos was teased in the mid-credit stinger of the first AVENGERS, fans have been waiting on pins and needles for his reveal and his story. From what I understand, the Infinity War story is basically one of the gold-standard stories in the Marvel pantheon, the one fans had been hoping could finally make it to the big screen… and it finally did. Bigger and more epic than probably anyone could’ve hoped for, certainly in terms of what the MCU first started out as, INFINITY WAR is the achievement every Marvel fan dreamed of: their favorite characters, well-established, well-cast (seriously, Marvel’s casting track-record is dead-on brilliant), fully-fleshed out, in a movie that brings together all the collective MCU into one giant special story. Frankly, it’s the essence of comics themselves, poured onto the big screen. It looks great (especially those space scenes) and the movie builds into one giant “they won’t end it like that, would they?” that, as an audience member, either you’re hoping for (if you’re familiar with the story), or you’re genuinely not expecting (the more casual folks). Either way, the Russos chose to stick to the pure roots of Marvel, and ended one of the biggest blockbusters ever on a mysterious and incredibly bleak down-note… but one that (in the best comic book sensibility) teased the hint of a new beginning.

For all the VFX and huge fight scenes, INFINITY WAR comes down to individual moments of closure, of reckoning; closeups of everyone’s favorite heroes as they’re faced with death and loss — a galactic reaping condensed down to reactions from Tony and Peter, T’Challa and Cap, and so many others.

In the end, INFINITY WAR brings the Marvel series to its first initial conclusion, and in the same moment reveals the seeds of its ongoing saga. Just like the Bond movies hint at the end of their credits: the heroes will return. In CAPTAIN MARVEL, in ENDGAME, and beyond.

- @Telemachos

I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that we're currently living in a Golden Age of Superhero movies. Studios are shelling out big bucks to bring superhero properties to the big screen in ways many of us never thought would be possible. Aquaman just made a billion dollars. Black Panther got a Best Picture nomination. 2019 currently has a Shazam movie, a Captain Marvel movie, an Avengers movie, Dark Phoenix, The New Mutants (theoretically) and a Joker standalone film all scheduled. And, just to put it all in context, in 2008, the idea of just a Captain America movie ever being seriously made was thoroughly laughable. Oh how things have changed. And as far as I'm concerned, there are two properties almost single-handedly responsible for that change.

The Nolan Batman movies and the MCU.

Now, anyone who knows me even slightly or have read any of my previous articles, posts or whatever else on the subject know that I freaking love the MCU. I love it to bits. What Kevin Feige and his team have managed to pull off is nothing short of miraculous. To create dozens of varied superhero stories and franchises, almost each of which on their own would be tricky to pull of, and then combine them into one cohesive universe? It was something that for so long was considered only the stuff of fanboys wet dreams. And yet didn't just pull it off. They made a freaking phenomenon out of it, creating a franchise that at its worse was still perfectly enjoyable and at its best hit the peaks of quality blockbusterdom.

With that said though, I will admit to being skeptical about Avengers: Infinity War. The first Avengers has always been my favourite MCU film and, for the longest time ever, I didn't think it would ever be topped, either in quality or in success. And while I loved Winter Soldier and Civil War, I wasn't sure how well the Russo Bros would handle a larger-scale space-based movie, especially considering how underwhelming Thanos had been in his brief cameos prior to this. Heck, I wasn't even too confident in Josh Brolin's casting, since as much as I like the guy, he was fairly underwhelming in GOTG. I wasn't necessarily expecting Infinity War to be bad, but it felt like the sort of movie that could so very easily topple under its own weight.

Still, I knew I was going to see it one way or another, so I went to the midnight screening, with a teeming theatre packed with cosplaying fans to sit down, watch the movie and see whether or not the film could- Fuck it, do I even need to say it? It took my expectations and blew them out of the fucking water.

Seriously, this movie felt like 2012's The Avengers all over again. Everything was riding on it, the entire culmination of the Marvel Cinematic universe up to that point, and it had to juggle so many different characters and storylines and tones with the knowledge that if even one element was out of place or dislodged, the entire thing could come tumbling down like a house of cards. But they not only pulled it off, they fucking knocked out of the park with reckless abandon.

The movie is outstanding. It juggles every character, every plotline, every action and plot beat nearly perfectly. The relationships, the dynamics, the sheer pulpy craziness of the fight scenes, it all clicks into place. And all centered on Thanos himself, a character who at one point was considered one of the weakest points of the MCU, suddenly transformed into one of its best. It wasn't afraid to take risks with its plotting and fully utilized its existence as part of the modern cinematic universe to tell its story. And it all just worked. So. Damn. Well.

Needless to say, I was giddy when I walked out of the theatre. And, while it's probably fairly cliche to say at this point, it really did feel the MCU's Empire Strikes Back. It was bigger, bolder, darker (while still maintaining the tone that made the previous films so great) and wasn't afraid to take risks. And, for all that people whine about Marvel movies being 'safe' and 'formulaic', that is what they do. They take risks. Iron Man was a risk. Thor was a risk. Captain America was a risk. The Avengers were a risk. Guardians of the Galaxy was one hell of a risk. And this movie, with its outright downer ending and infinite moving parts, so easy to screw up and overcomplicate, it was a risk. And Marvel pulled it off all the same.

-@rukaio101

• Like 7
  • Astonished 5

1 minute ago, Jake Gittes said:

look at the numbers in Spaghetti's post. are those worldwide grosses? yes? no? oh no they aren't. maybe that's the thing? 

we all know Americans have terrible taste so it should not come as any surprise they don't eat up Paddington 2. Not to mention its not even a 2018 film!

These next categories tend to get lots of repeat victors. Will that continue?

MOST VALUABLE USER

@Barnack

@Rthmar-vell

@sfran43

@Telemachos

@The Panda

@Water Bottle

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

@Rthmar-vell

Image result for zeus gif

This god is unbeatable.