Ezen Baklattan

THE 2019 BOFFY AWARDS: Spider-Verse Wins 7 Including Picture, Cuaron Wins Director, The Favourite Wins Ensemble

Who made us :hahaha:the most?

FUNNIEST USER

@aabattery

@Chewy

@CoolioD1

@IronJimbo

@Nova

@That One Guy

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

@aabattery

Image result for jojo rabbit

Two years in a row!

Runner Up:

@CoolioD1 (fun fact: he lost by one vote)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

In the words of Marie Condo, these movies do not spark joy.

WORST FEATURE

Bohemian Crapsody

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of David Yates and J.K. Rowling

The Cloverfield Pair of Cocks

Holmes and Shitson

The Predator Still Got Cast In The Movie

Jurassic World: Fallen Franchise

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

The Cloverfield Paradox

Image result for cloverfield paradox meme

I think we all know why Netflix had to take it.

Runner Up: Bohemian Rhapsody

• Like 10
  • Haha 3
  • ...wtf 1

BEST PICTURE NOMINEE

BLACKkKLANSMAN

Image result for blackkklansman gif

Out of all of the films to come out this year, this arguably has the best blend of everything that makes a film great. It effortlessly combines action, drama, horror, comedy, and commentary into one sleekly directed package, with a lot of signature Lee trademarks and a stellar cast of actors. No one element overshadows another. Even though I do like other movies this year more, this is the only one that combines so much in a flawless package and leaves such a powerful punch.

But if there's one arguable stand-out, the one thing that really stood out to me is how the film tackled the police and many of the nuances that come with the subject. This is not a pro-cop feature. The film does have some cartoonish "bad apples" as police officers for sure, and it doesn't go on a full-on attack towards the police, especially since Ron Stallworth and his cop friends still save the day. But it does show there are deeper problems within the police system rather than some bad eggs. How black power movements are considered dangerous despite being nothing more than rally cries for equality. How stopping the Klan is a low priority. How tensions rise when a black man enters the precinct.

The best moments in the film see Ron Stallworth, played spectacularly by John David Washington (GIVE HIM AN OSCAR NOM GOD DAMMIT) interact with the love interest and Black Panther member Patrice Dumas, played just as spectacular by Laura Harrier. Both want the same thing (equality), but both go about different ways in doing it. One tries to fix the system from the inside. The other tries to abolish it. Their conversations are layered and deep, and in the end, the right way to do it is left ambiguous and to your own interpretation. Is a black man working in an oppressive community just making things worse? Should the entire police industrial complex be abolished? Can we live in a world without the police? What's the selfish decision? What's the selfless decision? It doesn't give a concrete answer, but it allows a lot to chew on.

It's something that needed discussion in the 1970s, and still needs discussion today. In a day and age where black people get gunned down by the police seemingly every day, and Black Lives Matter has become one of the most powerful social movements of the decade, we need a movie like this, as cliche as that statement may be. We need to talk about the role of the police in both American and African-American culture. We need to talk about how prevalent racism is today. We need to talk about how white supremacy is still in the backbone of America. While Spike Lee's film doesn't have any clear-cut answers, arguably not even any clear-cut questions, it's still one of the best films to use as a jumping point for this kind of discussion. Thank you Spike.

- @CoolEric258

I am going to start this write-up by acknowledging the Best Picture win we were given last February. It’s a Best Picture winner all too familiar to modern cinephiles. It’s a Best Picture winner that Spike Lee would probably find familiar, as well. And it’s an unfortunate at that. I can’t think of any film that deals with race relations quite like Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman.

It’s a film that brings us to the 70s. Now, you’d think that, because the 60s saw the marches of Martin Luther King Jr. and the desegregation of schools, the 70s would be racism-free, right? Well, that isn’t the case. The KKK are still prevalent.

John David Washington is excellent as Ron Stallworth, an African-American cop who interrogates David Duke, the head of the KKK, by calling him “as a white man,” while Adam Driver’s character acts as Ron’s real-life counterpart.

Spike Lee, a true auteur, takes risks with almost every aspect of film form in this film—this includes the editing, the cinematography, the costume design, the storytelling, and style of filmmaking that is even shown at all.

BlacKkKlansman is one of the best films of 2018. You know. Unlike a certain Best Picture winner.

- @Slambros

• Like 11

It's fun to be bad.

BEST VILLAIN

David Duke

Played by Topher Grace

BLACKkKLANSMAN

Emily Nelson

Played by Blake Lively

A SIMPLE FAVOR

Erik Killmonger

Played by Michael B. Jordan

BLACK PANTHER

Phoenix Buchanan

Played by Hugh Grant

PADDINGTON 2

Thanos

Played by Josh Brolin

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR

White Surpremacy

Played by Peter Farrelly

VARIOUS FILMS

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Thanos (Avengers: Infinity War)

Oh snap.

Runner Up: Erik Killmonger (Black Panther)

• Like 11
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

*breathes massive sigh of relief as I'm spared from going the route of a life of @MrPink-level torment*

The forums would have been great had they voted you funniest user and bestowed that title upon you for the next year but alas here we are. 

• ...wtf 1

BlacKkKlansman was decent but definitely one of Spike's weaker outings.

Won't forget the moment I asked my mum if she wanted to go see Black Klansman with me and she just said "Why would I want to watch a stupid superhero film?"

But someone is there to stop them!

BEST HERO

Fred Rogers

Played by Himself

WON'T YOU BE MY NEIGHBOR

Miles Morales

Played by Shameik Moore

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE

Ron Stallworth

Played by John David Washington

BLACKkKLANSMAN

Paddington

Played by Ben Whishaw

PADDINGTON 2

T'Challa

Played by Chadwick Boseman

BLACK PANTHER

Venom / Eddie Brock

Played by Tom Hardy

VENOM

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Miles Morales (Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse)

Image result for miles morales gif

He feels so good.

Runner Up: Ron Stallworth (BlacKkKlansman)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1