Ezen Baklattan

THE 2019 BOFFY AWARDS: Spider-Verse Wins 7 Including Picture, Cuaron Wins Director, The Favourite Wins Ensemble

Just now, Avatree said:

Okay, right, yes I have just remembered that awful post malone song was done for Spiderverse. I retract my statemet of there being 0 songs. There is one. regardless of what I think about Sunflower, the point remains that A Star Is Born is a MUSICAL film, with terrific songs and great performances. And mamma mia and Floppins are on there as well, both musical films. What the hell is wrong with BOT?

There isn't 1 actually, there's 13.  here's the entire list of songs that won:

c41a066692b1baaa0874c3f67ec04a78.png

• Like 1

Just now, Avatree said:

was Roma filmed in colour and then they just got computers to make it b&w in post production for added edginess and Artistic Merit? like Logan and FUry Road?

hack jobs.

it was filmed in colour but they painted the actors and the sets to be black and white.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Spagspiria said:

Time to round out the music.

BEST ORIGINAL SONG

All The Stars

BLACK PANTHER

I'll Never Love Again

A STAR IS BORN

Ocean to Ocean

AQUAMAN

Shallow

A STAR IS BORN

Sunflower

SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE

When A Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings

THE BALLAD OF BUSTER SCRUGGS

And the BOFFY goes to...

Reveal hidden contents

I was about to punch my computer screen before I clicked Reveal Contents...

a shame the living great gatsby was overlooked though.

BEST PICTURE NOMINEE

IF BEALE STREET COULD TALK

Image result for if beale street could talk

Many have pointed to the reasons why this James Baldwin adaptation is so good. Barry Jenkins' direction, Nicholas Britell's score, Regina King's performance. All are certainly exceptional, but what really makes this film work are two things: Kiki Layne as Tish and Stephan James as Fonny. When both actors are together, it's the epitome of true love. The kind of love that many of us believe only exists in fairy tales and make-believe. The kind of love that we wish we are able to obtain.

The kind of love Trevante Rhodes, star of Barry Jenkins' Moonlight explained once in an interview about the romance his character goes through in the movie:

I think about love on a scale from 1 to 10. Most of us find a 6 or a 7, and that’s why we have divorce. But I like to think Kevin is Chiron’s 10. He’s found that and he realizes that there’s no reason to settle for a 6 or a 7 because, “I know this person is my 10. Whether or not this person believes I’m his 10, I’m going to devote my life to this person entirely.” If Kevin doesn’t feel that they should be together, Chiron is just going to die a miserable person because that’s his person and he won’t settle for anything else.

That is what Tish and Fonny's love is. They are 10s, and they know it. Just one look into their eyes, and they know it. And in this film, they try to fight as hard as they can. They are 10s just trying to live their life together, trying to receive their happily ever after. But what the film shows is that love isn't easy, and things don't get wrapped up in a pretty bow. Especially for African-Americans, the world doesn't like when 10s are together. So is the idea of two 10s together really a fairy tale?

I don't know. Even after watching the film, I still don't know. But what I can say is that this movie still made me believe in true love, and that there is a 10 out there. And that perhaps one day, 10s like Tish and Fonny will earn the happily ever after that they deserve. Thank you Barry. Thank you James. Thank you Kiki. Thank you Tish. Thank you Stephan. Thank you Fonny.

- @CoolEric258

(oh yeah he was in this)

In 2016, Barry Jenkins scored enormous acclaim and Oscar success with a fairly insular story that touched on Big Themes without ever leaving its protagonist's side; for his follow-up, he went bigger, crafting an expansive period piece that deals with a larger ensemble and is actively conscious of and engaged with its story's place in the grander scope of history and culture. (Curiously, exactly the same can be said of the trajectory of his Oscar competitor of two years ago, Damien Chazelle.) If Beale Street Could Talk provides extraordinarily intimate and emotionally direct moments while deliberately not allowing them to build on one another to form a single gripping narrative; instead, wafting around its story of two young African Americans' romance and the wrongful imprisonment of one of them, it hunts for incidents and observations it can arrange in non-linear fashion, at times privileging introductions over developments, decisions over actions, and descriptions over depictions, seeking to situate its specific events within the larger never-ending narratives of everything from love and family to racism and sexual violence. There are moments when this approach creates the impression of the movie having a little too much on its plate, and makes one wish for more immediate and intense storytelling; much more often than not, however, it makes for gorgeously restrained, aching melodrama. Jenkins' particular balancing act, his constant modulation of point of view, carries meaning and emotional weight, and he's supported by a superb cast that makes these people - in their love, hate, joy, suffering, devotion, resilience, mistakes - as present as they can be, before they and their dramas all get absorbed by the drama of America.

- @Jake Gittes

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Support The Girls should have won IMO. Now that's an overlooked gem. 

I didn't overlook it, I nominated it for worst feature. Unfortunately it didn't make the cut.

Edited by Tower
  • Astonished 1
  • Knock It Off 3

2 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

There isn't 1 actually, there's 13.  here's the entire list of songs that won:

c41a066692b1baaa0874c3f67ec04a78.png

I did not know that.

I suppose it must say a lot about the quality and importance of the music if one can watch the entire film and not know that it has original songs.

• Knock It Off 1

Last category award of the night!

BEST COMEDY

Blockers

Crazy Rich Asians

Deadpool 2

The Favourite

Game Night

Sorry To Bother You

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Game Night

Image result for game night gif rachel mcadams

We did it, gang.

Runner Up: The Favourite

• Like 10
  • Disbelief 2

This is a pretty big tech award. Surely our winner will be better than Bohemian Rhapsody.

BEST FILM EDITING

BlacKkKlansman

The Favourite

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Roma

A Star is Born

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse

Image result for spider-verse gif

A sign for things to come?

Runner Up: BlacKkKlansman

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Knock It Off 1

Game Night was one of the year's nicest surprises.

I say that A) because I expected nothing from it and was not expecting it to be so sharp and also so cinematic (a lot of fantastic cinematography for one thing) and just high quality.

and B: because it grossed $69m

please. Just stop. Best editing? FOr real? this from a film that made me feel nauseous while watching on the big screen?

I swear if it wins best picture, I quit. I will quit the forums.

One of the final tech awards to give out tonight.

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS

Annihilation

Aquaman

Avengers: Infinity War

First Man

Mission: Impossible - Fallout

Ready Player One

And the BOFFY goes to...

Spoiler

Annihilation

Image result for annihilation gif

You're welcome, @Telemachos

Runner Up: Avengers: Infinity War

• Like 6
  • Astonished 3
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 3
  • Disbelief 2

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

please. Just stop. Best editing? FOr real? this from a film that made me feel nauseous while watching on the big screen?

From your lips to God’s ears 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Avatree said:

Can we hold you to that? 

Please let Spiderverse win

Just now, Avatree said:

this doesn't really make sense. you want it to lose and yet you'll give us a gift if it wins? not following the logic here.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1