SLAM!

Slam! Movie Reviews [Y5 Edition]

AUGUST REVIEWS

Sylvarius

This film is a true must-see for any fan of animation and any fan of great films in general. 9.5/10

He-Man III: The Horrors of Hordak

An above-average blockbuster (because of the third film's willingness to raise the stakes for the predecessor soon to come), but a standard blockbuster nonetheless. 7.5/10

• Like 6

SLAM! REVIEWS: SEPTEMBER ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Spoiler

BAMBI: LIFE IN THE WOODS

dir. Ang Lee

Visceral, cerebral, sensual, pressing, compelling, endearing, engrossing--these are all words which describe this film. It is a visual masterwork and a stunningly faithful adaptation. Ang Lee took great care in curating his vision for this project. All of the voice performances are fitting, nuanced, and proficient--Aidan Turner, Rachel Weisz, and Daniel Craig are all particularly excellent.

There's not really much else to say about this film other than that they nailed it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

September Reviews

Train 38

An engrossing thriller that takes its audience for a ride--but, perhaps, one which has been experienced before. 7/10

Broadway Selects: School of Rock

The live recording boasts some great performances, but it's all too easy to understand how much better the source material is. 5.75/10

Texans Hate Zombies

A hyper-violent zombie film which will forever live on as a guilty pleasure tainted by formulaic tendencies. I would perhaps have appreciated this more had I chosen the path of discouraging the presence of insincerity within cinematic narration. 6.5/10

24 Hours

A masterclass in acting, direction, and screenwriting. Hooks you in and keeps you guessing the entire way through. 10/10

Bambi: A Life in the Woods

Visceral, cerebral, sensual, pressing, compelling, endearing, engrossing--these are all words which describe this film. 10/10

Dolphins

Nothing which hasn't been seen before--no matter how adorable the dolphins are. 6/10

Psychonauts

An exceptionally animated film which struggles to overcome the narrative kinks which are derived from the video game source material. 8/10

Edited by Slambros
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Blankments said:

should we expect october tonight? sorry i'm nervous haha

Well. I only have four to read. None of them are sequels. I don't have anything else to do for the rest of the night. It'd get me closer to putting out my own Top 25. So, yes! Do expect it tonight! (Though it might be kind of late.)

• Thanks 2

SLAM! REVIEWS: OCTOBER ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Spoiler

A WOMAN IN THE CROWD

dir. Jeff Nichols

I can't say I've seen a film quite like A Woman in the Crowd. Many different emotions are running through its system. It's funny, heartwrenching, tragic, and relatable, and uplifting all at once.

Jeff Nichols was the perfect choice to direct this film. All of the actors are very well cast.

I really enjoyed this all the way through. I have some minor gripes with the ending (which I won't spoil, as I encourage you to see this film yourself), but I understand that the whole story is built around the ending, and it's not the worst ending. I'm not mincing words here: this film is worth seeing in theaters. I'm sure you'll have a good time.

• Like 1

OCTOBER REVIEWS

The Picture of Dorian Grey

[This film doesn't have a synopsis, does it? Well, I'll give a fellow new player the benefit of the doubt, and, to help it do well at the box office, I'll give it a decent score. It sounds like it'd be a good film. But it won't be eligible for my Top 25.] 7/10

This Is Not A Game

A rather unfocused action thriller. 5.5/10

Fantasia: The Next Dimension

It works well as an anthology of short films and a celebration of the animation medium, but, to me, it doesn't scream "Fantasia" to me. 8/10

A Woman in the Crowd

It's funny, heartwrenching, tragic, and relatable, and uplifting all at once. 9.5/10

The Trick-or-Treater

The filmmakers can't prove that the premise was worth working with in the first place. 4.5/10

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Slambros said:

Fantasia: The Next Dimension

It works well as an anthology of short films and a celebration of the animation medium, but, to me, it doesn't scream "Fantasia" to me. 8/10

Fair enough! If I had more time, I definitely would've gone back to expand on each of the shorts.

Speaking of, do you have any favorites?

1 minute ago, Rorschach said:

Fair enough! If I had more time, I definitely would've gone back to expand on each of the shorts.

Speaking of, do you have any favorites?

Personally, I liked the one about the bluebirds. I thought the song was a nice pairing for it. Even if the text blurb was shorter for it, I'd say that was probably my favorite.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Slambros said:

November is coming tonight. I'm in the middle of the second Pillars of Eternity at this time. I have already read American Dragon 3 and Homebound.

Will December be this weekend?

15 minutes ago, Slambros said:

November will be later tonight and December (alongside the Top 25) will be tomorrow.

Is the plan still that you'll read TSW1 or have you already done so? There's a lot of things Part II doesn't really set aside time to re-explain (I mean if you want I can recap for you and answer any questions if needed) so I'm curious what your approach will be.

Edited by cookie

26 minutes ago, cookie said:

Is the plan still that you'll read TSW1 or have you already done so? There's a lot of things Part II doesn't really set aside time to re-explain (I mean if you want I can recap for you and answer any questions if needed) so I'm curious what your approach will be.

I'm going to read both of them back-to-back.

16 minutes ago, Slambros said:

I'm going to read both of them back-to-back.

Speaking as someone who just made it 6 pages through Scavvies 1 and needed to take a break, I think you might be a tad optimistic on finishing December tomorrow

• Haha 1

SLAM! REVIEWS: NOVEMBER ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Spoiler

AMERICAN DRAGON: FLASH POINT

dir. Yimou Zhang

This is a very fitting end to a dexterous series of films. I was smiling ear to ear watching this third outing. It's been a pleasure to get to know Jake and Lao Shi and Rose and all of the characters that populate this world.

The acting continues to be applicable to the needs of the film. There is one performance in particular that sticks with me, though, and that is Jackie Chan's final turn as Lao Shi. The loving mentor was one of many things that facilitated the beating heart of the film, and Jackie Chan embeds the character with a sincerity similar to that of Gandalf. I'd say Chan is ripe for an Oscar nomination.

Yimou Zhang is a dedicated director; his experience with action sequences transfers especially well to the brisk, fluid action scenes.

It has childish tendencies, but overall, I'd definitely recommend this film to moviegoers of all ages.

• Like 2