SLAM!

Slam! Movie Reviews [Y5 Edition]

NOVEMBER REVIEWS

American Dragon: Flash Point

It has childish tendencies, but overall, I'd definitely recommend this film to moviegoers of all ages. 9/10

Homebound

A film which lacks any attempt at progressing the cinematic language forward. 5.5/10

Pillars of Eternity: Never Far from the Queen

A dark fantasy epic with a strong sense of sincerity. Better than the first. 9.5/10

The Winter Star

It doesn't do anything new, but it hooks you in and doesn't let go. 7.25/10

Lieutenant Lynx in the Third Dimension

Bad narrative and directorial decisions cause the film to miss its target. 3.5/10

Olive the Other Reindeer

Ultimately inconsequential. Undeniably delightful. 8.5/10

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Blankments said:

And before you ask cookie, it’s much more digestible than I was expecting BUT I’ve got a light headache and intense reading wasn’t helping

I would hardly recommend doing any reading while having a light headache tbf

It’s supposed to ease you more into its world rather than dump a whole bunch of exposition right away (although I think the second film does a better job at this having gone back and looked at both - in part because it’s much more character based) so it’s more of a ’pick details up as it goes along’ kind of thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Slambros said:

@cookie How do you imagine the look of the Scavengers? I should probably be able to imagine them better, but I'm having trouble with it.

Here is a general description of them from the second film:

(humanoid aliens with scales sporting an oak-like texture coating their backs, sides, arms and foreheads, leaving only their face and the front of their bodies exposed showing soft, light brown skin)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slambros said:

@cookie How do you imagine the look of the Scavengers? I should probably be able to imagine them better, but I'm having trouble with it.

If you're reading the revised version of the first film it includes the description Numbers just provided.

Edit: I just checked and it apparently differs slightly between films. My bad on that front. The Part II description is the canon one.

Edit 2: I should also mention (which I did in neither film) that their scales are basically like armor plates so their bodies are coated a bit like this:

Spoiler

71LG110WGtL._SX425_.jpg

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

@cookie Read through the first Scavenger Wars. I'll allude to specifics about what I thought of it when I write the eventual December Spotlight, but suffice to say, I thought it was excellent.

Seeing that the second film is 72 pages, I'm gonna take a break. I'll read the second film either tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Slambros said:

@cookie Read through the first Scavenger Wars. I'll allude to specifics about what I thought of it when I write the eventual December Spotlight, but suffice to say, I thought it was excellent.

Seeing that the second film is 72 pages, I'm gonna take a break. I'll read the second film either tonight or tomorrow.

It's shorter in word count. It's just 72 pages because the text is bigger and the paragraph breaks are more numerous.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

It's shorter in word count. It's just 72 pages because the text is bigger and the paragraph breaks are more numerous.

1 minute ago, Spaghetti said:

It’s a couple thousand words shorter than the original, plus @cookie is generous with paragraph breaks/dialogue and uses a biggish font.

In light of this, I'll definitely have the second film read and have a top 25 out sometime before the end of the night.

SLAM! REVIEWS: DECEMBER ISSUE SPOTLIGHT

Spoiler

*DOUBLE FEATURE*

Spoiler

THE SCAVENGER WARS PT. II

dir. Matt & Ross Duffer

I screened the first Scavengers Wars film just before screening this new one. And let me tell you. I was impressed by the sense of scale that Scavenger Wars was able to exude. Now, as I began to watch this sequel, I began to worry that, throughout its run-time, it would wind up feeling like a glorified fan-fiction of the original. Thankfully, this wasn't the case. This sequel manages to expand upon the world previously established by the first film, and it manages to embed a more serious tone to its story.

The Duffer Brothers have truly done something special with this film; this must be commended. And I cannot bring myself to highlight one specific performer. This is an ensemble piece, through and through. Everyone in the cast is giving it their all.

Characters, both new and old ones, went into directions that I personally did not expect them to go. Do not go into this film thinking you can predict its outcome.

This is truly a complex, layered piece. It is a film which exudes excellent every second it's on the screen.

Spoiler

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL

dir. Daron Nefcy

This film is lovingly animated. The visuals pop off the screen. It is truly a commendable sight to behold.

The lovable dynamic between Squirrel Girl and Dana, and, well, the detail given to the piece in general... it's all extraordinary.

The film is heightened by the fact that, at its core, it's a coming-of-age story. As I've said before, the best superhero films are the ones that are superhero film second and something more distinct first.

While it does have the tendency to pander towards a younger audience, its unwavering optimism will leave you with a smile on your face.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1