Cinco de Numeros: El Crujido de Critica

Bienvenido mi amigos.

And with that I've exhausted my memory of learning Spanish. This is Year 5, after which we'll be halfway done with a decade of 3.0. To honor this milestone year I'm gonna do some fun stuff. Which you'll learn about as we go forward.

We'll dispense with the standard review process and do things in stages. What those stages are, you'll see soon enough.

• Like 3

So this is how we will be doing reviews. No requests this time around.

Stage 1: Sins of the Father 

All sequels will be read and reviewed. This excludes joke/troll sequels such as, for example, Johnny Test 2, Johnny Johnny 2, etc

Stage 2: Pride Goes Before the Fall

A single film from each player that (in my opinion) represents their highest expectations will then be read and reviewed. If that film was already read/reviewed in Stage 1, then no film for that player will be read or reviewed in this stage.

Stage 3: The Deepest Circle of Hell

The five worst outings of the year, if not already reviewed, will be now.

Stage 4: It's the Final Countdown

The Top 25 revealed. Information on the method of reveal to come later.

Stage 5: The Whole Nine Yards

All grades for all films will be posted.

• Like 4
  • Astonished 1

18 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

All sequels will be read and reviewed. This excludes joke/troll sequels such as, for example, Johnny Test 2, Johnny Johnny 2, etc

TFW the only movies you still have on the schedule are sequels.

6 minutes ago, cookie said:

The present day bookends take place after Number One Dime so it technically counts.

I'm not gonna count a framing device.  Also up until this point it was exclusively marketed as a prequel so I'm going by that.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 1

So this is how Stage 1 and Stage 2 will go down. Films will be read and reviewed each Stage in order of theatrical release

Two Lonely Bounty Hunters

He-Man III: The Horror of Hordak

American Dragon: Flash Point

The Scavenger Wars Part II

Stage 2: Pride Goes Before the Fall

Medusa

The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves

In the Valley

Bambi: A Life in the Woods

A Woman in the Crowd

Sabrina

The first review may come up tonight, but more likely I will start tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Astonished 3

TWO LONELY BOUNTY HAMSTERS

Spoiler

The follow-up to the breakout animated space adventure comedy tackles its most insidious villain yet: the rigors of bureaucracy-imposed standardized testing. Also the pitfalls of teenage anxiety, "nice guys", work-life balance, and the quest for pizza rolls.

Charlie Day and Sophia Lillis keep up the dysfunctionally functional tag-team chemistry with aplomb, though they do spend a fair amount of the film off on their own separate paths. It's already been said, but Ryan Gosling brings the right amount of pathetic charm and passive-aggressive rage to the role of Flithbert, someone we feel both sympathy and contempt for. What I liked about the film a lot is that it didn't feel the need to really up the stakes or scope compared to the first film. For much of the ride it's rather close-quarters and narrow-focused, about a couple messed-up heroes fumbling through life and trying to make it work as best they can, while also saving the day. Bringing in Noelle Stevenson to co-direct was a good decision, as she helps lend a hand of grace and realness to the relationship aspects, particularly Sophia and Sylphina's awkward courtship.

There are some issues with the movie. I think the sudden shift to bad guy wanting to brainwash the galaxy kind of short-circuited the more personalized and focused run the movie was having up to that point, where it became less about getting through to everyone's personal anxieties and insecurities and back to "well we do need a big setpiece I guess." Some of the jokes don't quite land great, but that is the thing about comedy, very personalized. But overall, it's a very good outing that, if it is any indication, shows we'll have a nice battle in Animated World this game year.

As for that cameo scene...it bordered right on the edge of trying too hard, but I enjoyed it. You came close, Pasta.

8.2/10

• Thanks 1