baumer

Triple Frontier (2019) Netflix

Grade it  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This is a frustrating movie to watch,  It's well acted, very well directed and has a lot of good things about it.  The story is the part that frustrates me.  I liked most of it but the last five minutes felt completely disingenuous.  These men fought their guts out to bring home a small sum in comparison to what they came for and then after almost dying several times, experiencing hunger, injury, hardship and the loss of one of their friends, none of them keep a cent and give it all to the widow of the fallen comrade.  Sorry, but that is not how it would work.  It might have looked good on paper to have that heroic kind of ending, but that's not how these guys were built, imo.  The money they brought home would change their lives but instead they give it all away.  It really left a bad taste in my mouth.

Best part of the movie was Oscar Isaac.  He carried the movie both physically and emotionally.  The rest of the cast is good too and it's good to see Affleck back in a role like this.

Overall I liked it but that ending really pissed me off.

7/10

• Like 1

I enjoyed it mostly for the cast and the build up to the heist itself. The setting was beautiful and the action was decent but not as heavy as the trailer implied. It becomes a survival thriller in the second half. Oscar Isaac was great and the overall chemistry of the main cast carried the movie for me. 

My big problem was the chain of events that led to everything going wrong. Ben Affleck character's loses all his rationality and gets way too greedy. It would have worked if maybe he wanted 10mil instead of 5mil or something like that. But to demand all 250mil and not be satisfied with 50mil among five people was too much since they were all pretty down on their luck. Its not like they owe millions in debt unless I missed something. Also they could have taken multiple trips for the money which is implied at the end. 

6.5/10 C+

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed this and found it to be the most "cinematic" of all the Netflix releases so far (Roma aside, of course). Nothing especially deep, but it's a very well-made action thriller with J.C. Chandor and Mark Boal delivering several sequences of well-executed tension. Ben Affleck, Oscar Isaac, Charlie Hunnam (despite his continued failure to sustain an American accent), Garrett Hedlund, and Pedro Pascal all give very good performances, even though they don't have much to work with in terms of character development. B

Quick question - towards the end, why couldn't they hide the money in the crags? They were in a remote mountainous area overlooking the city. Why dump it at the bottom of the ice crevasse? No one would have thought to look there.

They could have hired a helicopter in the summer and retrieve the bags (and even grab the money at the bottom of the crevasse).

Was that what the coordinates at the very end suggested?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, lilmac said:

Quick question - towards the end, why couldn't they hide the money in the crags? They were in a remote mountainous area overlooking the city. Why dump it at the bottom of the ice crevasse? No one would have thought to look there.

They could have hired a helicopter in the summer and retrieve the bags (and even grab the money at the bottom of the crevasse).

Was that what the coordinates at the very end suggested?

Because it kind of falls apart at the end.  It didn't think things all the way through.

• Like 1

just watched it and I rather liked this. The drama between the guys was very tense and felt real. First half is kind of by-the-numbers, second half is killer.

Had some issues understanding what was going on though. They went from the town they lived in to the jungle in about 2 seconds, that had me rather confused. And all the stuff about the cartels was confusing. But that second half really redeemed the film.

Also Charlie Hmmmm and Garrett Hedlund are hilariously crap.

@lilmac yes the coordinates at the end are for the crevasse they dropped the money in

Edited by Avatree