Alpha

I'm Alpha, Yeah Yeah! Y5 REVIEWS

It's that time again!

First off, I'm switching back to a letter grade system this year. Kinda prefer it to the stars.

Alright, here's the deal. You can request two films AFTER the deadline on Monday. Any requests made before Part 1 closes will not be taken. No restrictions on what films you can request; it can be your film or someone else's.

I'll figure out my Top 25 reveal later, but I can promise that it won't be a countdown.

Grading system:

A+/A/A-

B+/B/B-

C+/C/C-

D+/D/D-

F

• Like 3

This time, the reviews come ON TIME! (relatively)

Splatoon

While the animation has the kind of bouncy energy that propelled films like Can You Imagine, and the on-screen action should keep younger audiences interested, the plot and characters feel all too "been here before" to really leave an impression on me. It doesn't help that neither Blue nor Callie and Marie have much character progression, with very little in the way of ups and downs in their relationship. Ultimately, the full package just doesn't come all together in the end, despite the pluses of good voice acting, fun action sequences and a lighthearted tone.

C+/C

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

Yin

When reading the reviews for this film in advance, I didn't try to spoil myself. All I knew was that it was pretty trippy and there was a twist ending.

What makes Yin *nearly* work is that it builds off an already intriguing premise and ups the ante by the third act so much that it'll keep audiences on the edge of their seat. Added on to that is a strong emotional center held up by outstanding lead work from Daniel Henney as Martin, along with a chilling side turn by Michael Shannon.

So what keeps Yin from being a complete knockout? Unfortunately, it has to do with the film's much-discussed ending.

Some reviewers have had a problem with the "it was all a dream" ending, so I'll say here that I don't have a problem with this kind of twist. My film Resonance used this ending trope. But I do wish Yin didn't end with all loose ends tied up. It gives the film a very emotional conclusion, but it makes all the intriguing stuff that happens in the film's climax less interesting.

In conclusion, Yin is a speeding bullet train propelled by a great batch of twists and turns that loses a bit too much momentum before the credits roll. Thankfully, the twist ending doesn't completely undo all the tension that came before it.

B

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yin

When reading the reviews for this film in advance, I didn't try to spoil myself. All I knew was that it was pretty trippy and there was a twist ending.

What makes Yin *nearly* work is that it builds off an already intriguing premise and ups the ante by the third act so much that it'll keep audiences on the edge of their seat. Added on to that is a strong emotional center held up by outstanding lead work from Daniel Henney as Martin, along with a chilling side turn by Michael Shannon.

So what keeps Yin from being a complete knockout? Unfortunately, it has to do with the film's much-discussed ending.

Reveal hidden contents

In conclusion, Yin is a speeding bullet train propelled by a great batch of twists and turns that loses a bit too much momentum before the credits roll. Thankfully, the twist ending doesn't completely undo all the tension that came before it.

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks man! I agree with all of these points!

The Daniel Henney train continues chugging along!

He-Man III: The Horror of Hordak

Don't really have much to say about this other than that it's an average summer blockbuster with exciting action and exquisite visual effects but very little in the way of character development, unique storytelling or deeper themes. It has an audience, for sure, but I don't think it's for me.

C+

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 1

Steel Streaks

Right away Steel Streaks thrusts you right into the heart of high-adrenaline action. Yet it's when the film transitions into its headier, more philosophical discussions of artificial intelligence and corporate slavery that Steel Streaks truly shines.

I guess one big criticism I have is the emotional connection between Aria and RAID-1 later on in the film, which just feels unconvincing and tacked on.

I also feel like, for all the hullabaloo the league goes through to give off the illusion of artificially intelligent robot drivers that are actually piloted by humans, it should be a bigger deal that Overdrive's human pilots go on strike because of RAID-1 and are subsequently fired. Who knows how much control the league and its teams have over publicity in this future world, but wouldn't this truth being revealed completely jeopardize the image of the league among its fans? Along with how the fired pilots are immediately swept under the rug after RAID-1's source code is sold to TTT, I wish the story could've handled this revelation a bit better.

Aside from that, Steel Streaks does a great job of fitting bigger themes about technology into an action movie about high-speed racing, and should satisfy both audiences seeking popcorn entertainment and moviegoers who want some deeper themes.

B+

Edited by Alpha
  • Like 2