Rorschach

Rorschach Reviews Y5: In the Thick of It

Since everyone is getting a jump start on creating their review threads, I might as well too. 

tumblr_pbpvkv60hB1v4u49oo1_400.gif

Like everyone else this year, I will be changing up how I go about reviewing films this year: Firstly, I am bringing back letter grades this year. I think from here on out I'll alternate every year between number and letter grades. Secondly, I have a new and exciting way I'm gonna be doing my reviews. Here's how it works:

1). Starting now, you can send in requests for films you would like me to review. You can send up to two requests only: one film from you and one film from someone else. You cannot request two films of your own for review. If it so happens that none of your own films are available for you to request, you can request two films from another user or users.

2). Once I have gotten enough requests for films to review (which I will list out on this post), I will be putting all the films onto what I dub the 'Wheel of Mis-Fortune", which will choose the order of what films I read first.

wheel-of-fortune-flat-design-template-ve

If you guys have seen I Hate Everything's "Search for the Worst" videos on YouTube, its basically the same as that... but with a catch!

3). The catch is this: whatever the wheel chooses will be kept a secret from everyone. I will purposely not announce ahead of time what films will be up on the reviewing block to create an aura of suspense and keeping you guessing. I may jokingly tease about content as I read it but I'll attempt to keep it vague enough so that it isn't obvious. I will cross out each new film I review on the list so that you guys can keep track of what's been eliminated from the wheel.

4). After I complete the whole list, I will be going dark from there. I'll read through every film and give out my Top 25. After that, I will post a master list of all the film's and the respective grades they received, as well as two or three sentences about my thoughts on them.

giphy.gif

You guys may start requesting, now.

Requested Films (in order of what was requested first):

The Scavenger Wars 2

2 Lonely Bounty Hamsters

Medusa

The Epsilon Syndicate: Union of Thieves

Yin 

Hostel: Bloodline

Splatoon

Green Lantern Corps: Rise of the Manhunters

The Rich and Famous

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl

Sylvarius

Life of Galileo

Olive the Other Reindeer

O Maestro

He-Man III

Scooby-Doo: Apocalypse 

Edited by Rorschach

5 minutes ago, cookie said:

Can it be films that aren't finished yet 'cause I'd like to request Scavvies 2 and Bounty Hamsters 2

Yeah that's fine. If it so happens that something doesn't get made, you can replace it something else. I'll make sure to remind you or anyone else if that happens.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Spaghetti said:

When you can’t request a film of your own because both have already been taken...

I made a change to my rules in regards to this:

26 minutes ago, Rorschach said:

If it so happens that none of your own films are available for you to request, you can request two films from another user or users.

• Thanks 1

I wrote this out now thinking I'd just post it in the morning, but fuck it: I'll just drop this bomb now so y'all have something to read when you wake up ;) 

Spoiler

Two Lonely Bounty Hunters

Much like its predecessor, Two Lonely Bounty Hunters is a culmination of everything I love about this game: the creative freedom of the players, the chance to see more obscure IP get some attention, the playful lampooning of other players’ work in a thoughtful way, etc. In that regard, TLBH is just as great if not better than its predecessor.

Just about everything in this film is pitch perfect: Marion and Cassie’s odd couple relationship continues to be a great focus point, the supporting characters (both old and new) are memorable and each with distinct personalities, the animation is as lively and kinetic as ever, the comedy is solid and surprisingly hard-hitting (there were quite a few moments where I actually laughed out loud), and the action set pieces are as entertaining as ever. It all works so well together.

The most surprising element of the film to me was the villain: Flithbert. Firstly, Ryan Gosling does such an amazing job voice acting him. It’s an oddly fitting role for him, taking a look back at his filmography. Secondly, I found the character to be extremely well-written and a smart, satire on internet nice guys. Needless to say, I was extremely satisfied with how the resolution with that character played out. Very, very satisfying indeed.

Speaking of satisfying conclusions, the whole third act of this film is out of this world insane, in the best way possible. Not only does everything come together at the end so nicely but it culminates in, arguably, one of the best, large-scale cameo appearances I’ve ever seen in pretty much anything (this includes irl media). I’m not joking, it is nothing short of spectacular in the way it's presented and also how it ties into the themes of the film’s genre. I’ll dare not say anything more about it; just go read it for yourself.

2LBH is nothing short of a fantastic animated film. There’s no doubt in my mind that this film won’t be, at very least, enjoyable to everyone who watches it. It is the textbook definition of a crowd-pleaser, in the best way possible: there’s something in here for everyone.

The final cut of the film is a good improvement over the rough cut where the subplot of Cassie and Sylphiana’s romance/Cassie’s struggles in school felt a bit undercooked. For that, it is enough for me to bump the final grade of it from an A-/borderline A to a solid A. Great work as always @Spaghetti 

Edited by Rorschach
  • Thanks 1