Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

1 minute ago, Alli said:

No, but seriously why did Five Feet not do better? The Fault was such a success

Fault in Our Stars is one of the biggest books of the 2010s with overs 20 millions in sales, a bit like a Girl on A Train, The Shack, Hunger Games, Gone Girl type.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books

Quite different affair than a movie like this.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Alli said:

The Fault In Our Stars was based on a massive bestseller back when YA-themed stuff was still a thing and had a great marketing campaign. The tepid to weak numbers of Everything Everything, Midnight Sun, and now Five Feet Apart are the norm.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

They'll stick with the "Disney is buying fake tickets" excuse now that it's gonna seem like the 2nd Weekend drop (which they have been praying would show the supposed "bad WoM") is gonna be good for Captain Marvel. 

24 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

I just saw video that posited Gunn was rehired to distract from Captain Marvel. I mean I didn’t watch it, I just saw it was a thing and it had thousands of views already. 

I have gone down this rabbit hole and I honestly can’t wait to see what they come up with next 😂

It's not a falsifiable prediction, that's why they're going to stick with it. It's not like "the movie will bomb" where you can be corrected by the box office numbers. Only way their theory can be falsified is if every theatre manager in the world shows them their records and takes a picture inside every auditorium. Even then, they would probably claim it is photoshopped. 

10 minutes ago, Alli said:

as others pointed out, massive best-seller but also when you read Five Feet synopsis it's Fault with different illness. Lightning won't strike twice. it isn't really a type of story you can watch over and over. Fault was a novelty in that regard (2 cancer patients fall in love) but knock offs were bound to be ignored cause one movie already satisfied curiosity. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Alli said:

‘Captain Marvel’ Rising To Second Best 2nd Weekend In March With $70M+; ‘Wonder Park’ Punching $20M+

https://deadline.com/2019/03/captain-marvel-box-office-week-2-captive-state-wonder-park-weekend-results-1202575749/

Hahahaha...see, I was right...it was SO Wonder Park going $20M+ that had Deadline trying to figure out where tracking went wrong:)...(I'm kidding here, mostly)...

Actually, I'm hoping both of my movies calls from last weekend for $15M+ come true, so c'mon Five Feet Apart - pull out a great evening b/c Wonder Park is in the bag with that Friday!

4 minutes ago, DAJK said:

It's not a falsifiable prediction, that's why they're going to stick with it. It's not like "the movie will bomb" where you can be corrected by the box office numbers. Only way their theory can be falsified is if every theatre manager in the world shows them their records and takes a picture inside every auditorium. Even then, they would probably claim it is photoshopped. 

They funny thing is that I know I've been out of the game for a while, but I cannot remember any report that we would have to give us data on unredeemed tickets.  I'm sure something like that does exists, but I NEVER needed it in almost 8 years and it wasn't something you a HAD to have.

This would mean that to verify this, they have to go into each theater knowing how many tickets were bough and physically count the seats.  

I don't know what theater has the time for a manager to do this on a Friday night, lol.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alli said:

It's $3-5M over tracking of $8-10M DOM OW...so it's doing pretty well, especially with the $7M production budget...and the weekend is young - maybe it will keep going higher tonight!:)

Edited by TwoMisfits

3 hours ago, DAJK said:

Anyone seen that Ben Affleck Netflix film? Can’t remember what it’s called but I was wondering if it was worth checking out.

I watched mainly for Charlie, Garrett and Pedro but they are all pretty good, including Affleck, who normally does nothing for me. It's a decent movie, I enjoyed it more than I expected to. 

Edited by Ororo Munroe

18 minutes ago, ShyGeek said:

Where does the 18-19 number come from? Deadline has it on 19.5. 

From a higher authority.    

Asgard’s number was a few hours earlier though. Should basically think of it as like 18-20 until we get another update.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Alli said:

I believe the book just came out in November. It hasn't gotten time to get that massively popular yet. Fault had at least two years between book and movie.

Same reason I Am Number Four didn't do so well, came out too soon of the book's release.