Eric Duncan

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

Just now, tawasal said:

Shahrukh Khan movies I have watched in no particular order. My own MCU. My favorite is Pardes. 

1. Koyla
  2. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

3. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

4. Mohabbatein

5. Karan Arjun

6. Baazigar

7. Baadshah

8. Om Shanti Om

9. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham

10. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

11. Main Hoon Na

12. Pardes

13. Dil To Pagal Hai

14. Veer-Zaara

15. Kal Ho Naa Ho

16. Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam

17. Chalte Chalte

18. Duplicate

19. Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna

20. Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani

21. Yes Boss

22. Josh

Please watch Kabhi Haan Kabhi Naa if you haven't :)

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, lor15 said:

If the budget wasn't inflated, $20M OW would be fine, but...

Seems the Wonder Park budget might not be quite as bad as initial figures...LA Times and Variety have two different figures, so the production budget range is now $80M-$100M...At $80M, a $20M opening wouldn't be so bad...especially if it gets some pick up elsewhere...

PS - I'll let you all know tomorrow night if this film really does suck...or is a breath of fresh air of creativity:)...

1 minute ago, tawasal said:

Shahrukh Khan movies I have watched in no particular order. My own MCU. My favorite is Pardes. 

1. Koyla
  2. Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge

3. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai

4. Mohabbatein

5. Karan Arjun

6. Baazigar

7. Baadshah

8. Om Shanti Om

9. Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham

10. Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi

11. Main Hoon Na

12. Pardes

13. Dil To Pagal Hai

14. Veer-Zaara

15. Kal Ho Naa Ho

16. Hum Tumhare Hain Sanam

17. Chalte Chalte

18. Duplicate

19. Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna

20. Phir Bhi Dil Hai Hindustani

21. Yes Boss

22. Josh

You missing his best though. My Name Is Khan, Swades, Chak De India. Dear Zindagi and Fan in recent films.

Glad to know that you have watched 22 films tho. :Gaga:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Naah. I need that. One MCU solo film over Wonder Woman.

I know BP did that but that many attributes to cultural phenomenon thing. This is purely gonna be Marvel power with just good film.

Hmm, I think CM has the added bonus of being sandwiched between Infinity War and End Game. Plus being their first female lead film. So that theory is out the window. 

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Naah. I need that. One MCU solo film over Wonder Woman.

I know BP did that but that many attributes to cultural phenomenon thing. This is purely gonna be Marvel power with just good film.

In terms of estimated tickets IM3 outsold WW domestically.  Happy now? :thinking:

Iron Man 3 BV 48,849,300 4,253 20,781,000 4,253 5/3/13
14 Captain America: Civil War BV 46,755,200 4,226 20,519,900 4,226 5/6/16
15 Wonder Woman WB 46,115,500 4,165 11,536,500 4,165 6/2/17
16 Iron Man Par. 44,345,900 4,154 13,735,200 4,105 5/2/08
17 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV 43,556,500 4,347 16,369,800 4,347 5/5/17

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

You missing his best though. My Name Is Khan, Swades, Chak De India. Dear Zindagi and Fan in recent films.

Glad to know that you have watched 22 films tho. :Gaga:

I started my love with movies with Bollywood films before I even watched a single European movies and I am not Indian or Asian. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, LeoC said:

That would be a pretty underwhelming Fri to Thur increase. Let’s see how things go in a couple hours. 

You had increased weekdays all around e.g. school holidays in this and that region, CAN (pat of dom) also had some holidays...

= the weekend always increases softer. Add this Thursday increased from Wednesday instead of staying flat - as the others mentioned already = even more,... Good jump

12 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Pretty sure this scenario was specifically mentioned in the Thursday thread 😂

accidential missed?

4 minutes ago, a2k said:

i think apart from asgards all of us are pretty much in the same boat when it comes to guessing :)

Its fun in a way, we have now Asgard 1, Asgard 2, Asgard 3 or 4, and someone I am not sure, if we call Asgard, as I've not seen him/her getting named like that consciously, but as he/she was here before the newest arrived Asgard ... - but  crazy happy for us :excited:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

In terms of estimated tickets IM3 outsold WW domestically.  Happy now? :thinking:

Iron Man 3 BV 48,849,300 4,253 20,781,000 4,253 5/3/13
14 Captain America: Civil War BV 46,755,200 4,226 20,519,900 4,226 5/6/16
15 Wonder Woman WB 46,115,500 4,165 11,536,500 4,165 6/2/17
16 Iron Man Par. 44,345,900 4,154 13,735,200 4,105 5/2/08
17 Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 BV 43,556,500 4,347 16,369,800 4,347 5/5/17

Naa, I prefer those "$".

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Hmm, I think CM has the added bonus of being sandwiched between Infinity War and End Game. Plus being their first female lead film. So that theory is out the window. 

I agree. Combine that with Marvel/Disney’s great ability to market, and you have what usually amounts to a fantastic outcome. WW had to fight her way up the box office with the quality of her movie and her loyal/nostalgic fans. There was not much else to boost her. Anyway, it’s great that two female superheroes are kicking butt and taking numbers. I know it’s natural to pit them against each other, and it can also be fun. Nevertheless, there are no losers here. WW did her thing when it was her turn and CM is doing hers now.

13 minutes ago, LeoC said:

I expected the trailer effect to last throughout the whole weekend, as compared to only on Thursday, and therefore I expected the Fri to Thur increase to be normal, as compared to muted. We just had different assumptions. You can stop being so judgmental.

I mean if you followed the weekday threads, you would know that this was expected, but all the time it's exceeding our expectations after the weekend. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, tawasal said:

It's on my to watch list. What did you particularly liked about it that made you recommend it to me. 

It is set in a quaint town and the characters have an innocence and purity to it. The movie is based in Goa and the subculture shown different than anything else in SRK and Bollywood films. SRK's acting is amazing and rest of the cast is great too. Funny and heartwarming. One of the few films where the hero plays a 'looser' like character.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

Just now, a2k said:

It is set in a quaint town and the characters have an innocence and purity to it. The movie is based in Goa and the subculture shown different than anything else in SRK and Bollywood films. SRK's acting is amazing and rest of the cast is great too. Funny and heartwarming.

When you mentioned Goa, all I can think of is this. 

Best music for the best trilogy ever after LOTR.

29 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Not neccesarily. Ive seen plenty of bad trailers for good movies (see Star Trek: Beyond). But that WP trailer is just a total mess and exhausting to watch.

Probably the case of a ”Don’t trust a trailer and see the film as it may actually be”-kind of thing.

With a Thursday domestic gross of $9.1 million and an overseas gross of around $16.1m (not counting whatever it earned in China on Friday), Captain Marvel has now earned approximately $196.8m domestic, $378.7m overseas and $575.5m worldwide. That means that today's the day when the $150m-budgeted MCU flick will top $200m domestic and $600m worldwide. The film is expected to take a 75% dive in China for around $23m, meaning it'll close out with around $150m in said territory. That's a brutal drop, but it's about on par with Ant-Man and the Wasp (-83%), Spider-Man: Homecoming (-79%) and Avengers: Infinity War (-73%). They can't all be Venom and Aquaman. At a glance, we're presumably looking at an over/under $70m domestic weekend, or a "normal for the MCU" 55% drop.

..... But presuming a $70m second-weekend... tenth day with around $266m domestic..... by Saturday.

Captain Marvel is set to pass $200 million at the domestic box office and $600m at the global box office sometime today, which will be four times its production budget. So that "worst-case-scenario" of only earning Ant-Man and the Wasp-level money is off the table. It'll pass Doctor Strange ($677m in 2016) as soon as tomorrow as it tries to pass $750m global by Sunday. Even with marketing factored in, it's officially making money. Once it passes The Wandering Earth ($678m), it'll be the biggest-grossing movie of the year. The question is whether any other non-superhero movie (especially outside of Chinese blockbusters) or non-Disney biggie will come anywhere near wherever Captain Marvel and Avengers: Endgame end up. The domestic theatrical business just can't crawl from one superhero biggie to another.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2019/03/15/captain-marvel-is-about-to-pass-two-huge-box-office-milestones/#4d218cce68f0