Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

EXCLUSIVE: Redemption and second chances have long been superhero movie staples, and today it looks like life has imitated art. I’ve learned that Disney has reinstated James Gunn as the writer-director of Guardians of the Galaxy 3, and I’ve confirmed it with Marvel and Gunn’s camp.

Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios president Alan Hornmet with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn’s public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2.

Marvel Studios has agreed to commence production on Guardians of the Galaxy 3 after Gunn completes Suicide Squad 2.

3 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

lmao @ James Gunn being rehired. This is a good development, but I give it 3 hours for Roseanne to be brought up.

Hey Han what is your prediction of Endgame?

7 minutes ago, Nero said:

Is Gun director of SS2 ? I thought he was only producer

A lot do say so, Deadline too per that article indirectly - as in after he does...

IMDb

Director: James Gunn (rumored)

Writers: James Gunn, John Ostrander (comic book)

See also news about SS

Deadline has confirmed that Will Smith will not reprise his role as Deadshoot in Warner Bros.’ James Gunn-directed Suicide Squad 2. 

https://deadline.com/2019/02/suicide-squad-2-will-smith-not-returning-1202566772/

Edited by terrestrial
forgot link...
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Lol. That guy Posobiec is the one that dug up Gunn's past tweet. Now Posobiec is on the CM hate train, always tweeting something negative about CM. I guess this is Disney's revenge, "you hate Gunn so much, right? Guess what, we'll hire him back".

I don't think Disney or Marvel cares about his feelings. This was a good call for that movies box office prospects of profitable take. 

1 minute ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Between the Gunn news and the likely just fine CM weekend 2 drop, going to be a certain... segment of the Internet very unhappy.  😋

We need a ??? that does not add to community reactions but is meant for not questioning the post, but telling the poster something is unclear

and a face that says 'Schadenfreude'

I'm very happy that Gunn is back. Whatever things he may have said in the past, he regrets it and he is matured now so when Disney fired him, I felt sad. Thanks Disney for giving Gunn 2nd chance:bravo:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

A lot do say so, Deadline too per that article indirectly - as in after he does...

IMDb

See also news about SS

https://deadline.com/2019/02/suicide-squad-2-will-smith-not-returning-1202566772/

That's a pity, Will Smith was one of the few vaguely likeable human presences in that movie. 

Anyway, really happy to see Gunn reinstated. 

Edited by Celedhring

10 minutes ago, tawasal said:

I don't think Disney or Marvel cares about his feelings. This was a good call for that movies box office prospects of profitable take. 

Well, they cared enough that they fired Gunn over the tweets that the guy dug up. Anyway, I just said that revenge thing in jest. Not to be taken seriously. Lol😉

https://www.the-numbers.com/news/237590830-Weekend-Predictions-Will-Captain-Marvel-Give-the-New-Releases-Room-to-Breathe

Captain Marvel opened with $153.43 million last weekend. How well it holds up this weekend will determine whether the film is merely a monster hit or something special. For example, Black Panther fell just 45% during its second weekend of release and it became a cultural event. On the other extreme, Batman v Superman plummeted 69% during its second weekend of release and it spelled the end of the grimdark version of the D.C.E.U. Captain Marvel will finish somewhere in-between. A sophomore stint drop-off of at least 50% is practically guaranteed, while I don’t think it will fall more than 60%, but it will finish on the low end of expectations. It’s a prequel and an origin story, so it doesn’t have as much replay value as Black Panther, for example. I’m going with a prediction of $65 million, which would lift its running tally past $250 million early on Sunday morning, putting it ahead of seven previous MCU releases.

Edited by terrestrial