Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

29 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Lol. That guy Posobiec is the one that dug up Gunn's past tweet. Now Posobiec is on the CM hate train, always tweeting something negative about CM. I guess this is Disney's revenge, "you hate Gunn so much, right? Guess what, we'll hire him back".

That decision to bring back Gunn was probably made and signed a long time ago, it is just made public now.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If Guardians is pushed back a long way due to Suicide the long gap will likely hurt box office I think. 

I think this will be mitigated somewhat the Guardians being featured heavily in both Infinity War and Endgame. 

And with the GOTG3 script already written, no reason this can't come out at latest in 2021, only two years since their last appearance.

8 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I get the distinct feeling the Gunn rehire was Kevin Feige throwing his weight around.

"Now, look, I can give you 18 billion reasons why you should really think about hiring James Gunn back..."

Or GoTG themselves.

Whatever the reason I am glad it worked. Now give Taika Watiti a film.

1 minute ago, john2000 said:

wtf i mean it could make as much but it doesnt make sense what he is saying

Its an origin story. those have certain 2nd weekend drops, but its also a prequel to Avengers 1, and a bit to Avengers 4. Prequels too have cetain drops.

In the end he thinks its possible it gets stronger drops than the others think. He tends to stay cautiously, like I do too.

We got $69m per BOM

Charlie had it at I think $69m too, but mentioned to be happy about all above $67m. Trailer came, now he thinks $71m (the last one I 'saved' in my brain), with the possibility it being higher too, I think he said up to $74m

BOP does the weekend estimated/forecast always some days earlier as all the others, means they have less access to time-nearer to the weekend dailies

BOP:

Captain Marvel Disney / Marvel $71,500,000 $269,000,000 -53%

(in their text its 70-80)

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

That decision to bring back Gunn was probably made and signed a long time ago, it is just made public now.

agreed. it's how they do hiring. it seems overnight to us but it's actually something that's waiting for the right timing to be announced.

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, $10 says Disney planned to hire him back all along after the backlash was so intense, but wanted to wait until it died down enough to announce it so they could try to avoid the walk of shame as much as possible. 

That's what the article sounds like. Apparently they made the decision months ago.

17 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think this will be mitigated somewhat the Guardians being featured heavily in both Infinity War and Endgame. 

And with the GOTG3 script already written, no reason this can't come out at latest in 2021, only two years since their last appearance.

Given The Suicide Squad is coming out in 2021, Guardians 3 will go to 2022. I suspect since Warner Bros and Marvel are allowing Gunn to do both films, they probably have a deal where the films aren't in the same calendar year. 

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

so why did he sign up for suicide squad?

That was also made many months ago.

https://www.polygon.com/2018/10/9/17956906/james-gunn-suicide-squad-2-warner-bros-disney

At the latest, it was early October 2018 that he got involved with Suicide Squad. And who knows when that talk started, the phone could have ring really really rapidly right after the being fired news.

Edited by Barnack
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

If Guardians is pushed back a long way due to Suicide the long gap will likely hurt box office I think. 

Well, Thor Ragnarok was released 4 years after The Dark World, and yet had a very strong box office gross.

I think GOTG3 will be fine.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 2

For me box office tracking becomes boring after a film follows a steady trajectory for over a week. When you can estimate the final gross accurately the entertainment just isn't there. Unless you've created some milestone to pass and it's tight I just don't see the fun in it.

Yes this applies to Alita.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2