Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (3/15-3/17): Captain Marvel 68, Wonder Park 15.8, Five Feet Apart 13.2, Dragon 9.3, Madea 7.8

Paramount: "LIMITED PARTNERS, previously scheduled for June 28, 2019 (wide), is now January 10, 2020 (wide)."

Paramount: "THE TIGER’S APPRENTICE will open February 11, 2022 (wide)."

56 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Well, they cared enough that they fired Gunn over the tweets that the guy dug up. Anyway, I just said that revenge thing in jest. Not to be taken seriously. Lol😉

No, I am talking about re-hiring him was not a decision made to flerken with his feelings, it was done to maximize the movies success. 

• Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

GoTG gonna do billie whenever come. It finally got that Avengers bump. The first two were more of their own thing.

I remember many casual watchers being surprised to see them in Infinity War.

Gotg and IW are pretty much the only Marvel films that have a good visual style, smart to rehire Gunn.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

For me box office tracking becomes boring after a film follows a steady trajectory for over a week. When you can estimate the final gross accurately the entertainment just isn't there. Unless you've created some milestone to pass and it's tight I just don't see the fun in it.

Yes this applies to Alita.

Generally, I agree in the sense that if week after week everything is performing just as it was predicted to without any variation that box office can feel “stale”. However, I do like using opportunities like that to refine my abilities to follow the tracking metrics or even develop my own in order to hopefully become a better predictor. In that sense, it makes it even more exciting when something like Avatar or Black Panther or even to a lesser degree The Upside come around and defy traditional box office wisdom.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, john2000 said:

maybe bc they just well their track record its not the best at predicting mcu movies if you know what i mean ,as why i dont even know whats changed before

They are actually fairly close with their long range tracking for MCU movies. Since AoU, their average prediction for MCU movies have been within 10% of the final gross. Their overall average for all MCU movies is within 20% with MCU movies doing about 119% more on average than their prediction. 

Someone did the calculations on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/boxoffice/comments/aw7xxy/other_comparing_boxofficepros_long_range_tracking/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

What is the absolute high number for you for 2nd weekend. For me it will be $76mn. Above that I will be very happy and surprised.

AoU numbers, 77.75.       

Taking 20M Friday, could get there with +70, -30. All three days would be very impressive there, expectations lower.

Gunn shouldn't have been fired in the first place. It was actionism at its finest by Disney to save their face in a heated discussion and now, when nobody cares, they hire him back. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the plan from the beginning to be honest.

I don't like the signals this is sending. You either stand by your friends whithin the storm or you don't. But crawling back, when the storm is over, is just...not my cup of tea.

Actually, I'm quite surprised, Gunn is playing this game with them, but that's the power of a company like Disney I guess. 

Edited by Poseidon

4 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Gunn shouldn't have been fired in the first place. It was actionism at its finest by Disney to save their face in a heated discussion and now, when nobody cares, they hire him back. Wouldn't be surprised if this was the plan from the beginning to be honest.

I don't like the signals this is sending. You either stand by your friends whithin the storm or you don't. But crawling back, when the storm is over, is just...not my cup of tea.

Actually, I'm quite surprised, Gunn is playing this game with them, but that's the power of a company like Disney I guess. 

I'm betting his new deal is much more to his advantage than his last one...since he held almost all the cards...

Just now, Blaze Heatnix said:

What happens if Warner lovs Gunn's work in SS 2 and wants him back to a SS 3?

Will Marvel provent him from directing a DC movie? At least, he could write and produce another DC actioner.

I'm sure they'd work out some sort of deal. If actors are allowed to go from different films, i'm sure it won't be issue for a director.

10 minutes ago, DAJK said:

does Disney just not want Gunn doing Suicide Squad? Or is he already locked down for that project?

Reports already coming out Guardians 3 will start filming after Gunn is done with Suicide Squad

• Like 1