MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

YourMother the Edgelord

MAYbe it’s MAYbeline: Pikachu, Aladdin and Godzilla all over $100M OW

1 minute ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

I’m shocked at all this Aladdin confidence, Pikachu is going to make its OW numbers on OD alone

i'm more surprised at these insane pika predictions. is this character that beloved?

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just the idea of three 100M openers, all more or less back-to-back-to-back. Even more complicated with Endgame locked to make at least 200M a couple weeks ago. Then you add on all the June movies coming down the pipeline, and that just seems nigh-impossible to pull off. Has there ever been a scenario where four movies all opened to over 100M within the span of a couple of weeks. Obviously there have been two 100M openers back-to-back before, but...four? That just seems like a humongous stretch.

Three happened in May 2007. I'm out though. I believe sky's the limit for Pikachu but I'm feeling about 80m for Godzilla, and probably around the same for Aladdin.

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

Pikachu will make over 100m on OD alone. Godzilla and Aladdin have 50/50 chances imo.

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

i'm more surprised at these insane pika predictions. is this character that beloved?

The Pokémon brand alone is powerful, much more famous and successful than many other franchises (correct me if I’m wrong but I think it’s indeed the highest grossing media franchise). Pikachu IS an iconic adorable character. The trailers for this movie have made much more views on YouTube and social media than Aladdin. It’s a PG film and a lot of kids are reportedly excited based on reactions to the trailer from screenings of the LEGO Movie 2 and How to Train your Dragon 3. Do I have to keep explaining?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

The Pokémon brand alone is powerful, much more famous and successful than many other franchises (correct me if I’m wrong but I think it’s indeed the highest grossing media franchise). Pikachu IS an iconic adorable character. The trailers for this movie have made much more views on YouTube and social media than Aladdin. It’s a PG film and a lot of kids are reportedly excited based on reactions to the trailer from screenings of the LEGO Movie 2 and How to Train your Dragon 3. Do I have to keep explaining?

Nope it's the highest grossing franchise of all time.

• Thanks 1

In

I'm on the fence for Aladdin over 100M, but I think the trailer has salvaged it enough to go bold on this.

18 minutes ago, That One Guy said:

Endgame - 260M

Pikachu - 180M

Aladdin - 80M

Godzilla - 85M

I'd probably go lower on Godzilla and Pika (just a little, I'm staying on the hype train, but I gotta be realistic, too), but I think the Aladdin number for the 3 day seems pretty close:)...

Impossible.

Pikachu possibly can do 100M

Godzilla I can't see any way of it opening higher than the first film.

Aladdin is not happening in a million years, get ready for 60M opening, no one cares about it and the trailer got laughed at deservedly so

13 hours ago, CoolEric258 said:

Just the idea of three 100M openers, all more or less back-to-back-to-back. Even more complicated with Endgame locked to make at least 200M a couple weeks ago. Then you add on all the June movies coming down the pipeline, and that just seems nigh-impossible to pull off. Has there ever been a scenario where four movies all opened to over 100M within the span of a couple of weeks. Obviously there have been two 100M openers back-to-back before, but...four? That just seems like a humongous stretch.

obviously? I dont think that has ever happened. could be wrong.

6 minutes ago, Avatree said:

obviously? I dont think that has ever happened. could be wrong.

Shrek the Third and Pirates: At Worlds End. And Spider Man 3 opened 151m two weeks before shrek. 

Edited by HouseOfTheSun

1 minute ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

Shrek the Third and Pirates: At Worlds End 

and incredibles 2/jw2.

• Like 1

The record for most $100m openers in one year is eight.

Looking at the films that have or are safe to open over $100m this year:

Captain Marvel

Avengers: Endgame

Spider-Man: Far From Home

Lion King

Frozen II (I mean, come on)

Star Wars IX

That's not including films that are close to locked like Toy Story 4 and It: Chapter II. Including those we have eight already.

Adding another three on top of that within a four-week span is going to be a ginormously tall order.

• Like 1