charlie Jatinder

Which was the biggest movie event (worldwide) of the decade 2010s.

Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the biggest movie event of the decade 2010s.

• Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
    • Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    • Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame
    • Any Other

1 hour ago, Thanos Legion said:

Yeah, between the cinematic universe trend and the superhero genre explosion, seems that TA had the biggest impact on this decade of Hollywood.

Has of now it is more cinematic universe attempt.., when the formula is hard to execute (James Cameron Titanic brought a trend to attempt the love story set in epic historical event background, didn't set in) it can be hard for them to set trend, when it is relatively easier to execute (the movie having a 3D release, Pixar look of animation/the Simpsons look of animation, YA) trend catch on more easily.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

To be real...what's the point of this poll if we're basing it on box office? In that case the answer is always easy: whichever movie made the most money which is Force Awakens. Should be based on more than that. 

Well yes what was a bigger event is a bit different than box office, Jurassic World 2 was a much bigger box office than an event,

weeks anticipation, media coverage, talks, song playing at the radios, people making long lines, product placement, toys mania, video game attach talk, etc.... can (and should imo) all be put in there.

1 hour ago, tonytr87 said:

To be real...what's the point of this poll if we're basing it on box office? In that case the answer is always easy: whichever movie made the most money which is Force Awakens. Should be based on more than that. 

Exactly, I could have simply looked at top grossers if it was just about box office.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder

DH2 capped off a decade long franchise globally with rich enthusiasm and loyalty. It also came very early in the decade compared to other movies in that list (Avengers being the next one). Hype gets forgotten overtime and social media gets exponentially stronger. If an event like DH2 would have to happen today it would seem even more phenomenal.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, a2k said:

DH2 capped off a decade long franchise globally with rich enthusiasm and loyalty. It also came very early in the decade compared to other movies in that list (Avengers being the next one). Hype gets forgotten overtime and social media gets exponentially stronger. If an event like DH2 would have to happen today it would seem even more phenomenal.

You voted for TFA, is that a mistake? (Going by your answer).

Edit: Just saw you changed your vote.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

DH2 capped off a decade long franchise globally with rich enthusiasm and loyalty

9 minutes ago, a2k said:

If an event like DH2 would have to happen today it would seem even more phenomenal.

5 weeks til we see concretely 😛 

• Haha 1

You can either look at the list of the highest grossing films worldwide OR this is entirely subjective. Personally, Star Wars: The Force Awakens felt like the answer to this.

I should add that I think it'll end up being Avengers: Endgame.

Edited by JB33

14 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

You voted for TFA, is that a mistake? (Going by your answer).

Edit: Just saw you changed your vote.

yeah had just voted looking at boxoffice which i realised would make the thread purposeless. so gave it some thought 😜

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

You can either look at the list of the highest grossing films worldwide OR this is entirely subjective. Personally, Star Wars: The Force Awakens felt like the answer to this.

I should add that I think it'll end up being Avengers: Endgame.

That's why the poll. Numbers are objective.

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

That's why the poll. Numbers are objective.

38 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Exactly, I could have simply looked at top grossers.

giphy.gif

Not sure I follow what is going on here.

Are you asking us to look at box office mojo worldwide gross and rank in descending order a list of movies to find which is the biggest ?

Since there are enough responses, think I shall give mine as well.

First off, it's not just about the box office, because the box office depends on so many other factors such as exchange rates, ticket prices, release time, etc. Also, if it was so, I would have simply looked for numbers than the poll.

IMO Avengers: Endgame (now that I am thinking, should have clubbed it with Infinity War) will be the biggest event of this decade followed by Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows 2.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens is big but limited to West and Japan & Oceania in the East, and said that it's almost negligible in the 42% of the world population; China and Indian subcontinent.

Further, ticket prices are higher where TFA was stronger giving it an edge, otherwise in the number of tickets sold it will be much behind the two Avengers finale. e.g. India sold 18 million tickets for Infinity War but gross was just around $45 million, if tickets were as big as some European country, the gross would have been close to $175 million.

9 minutes ago, Barnack said:

giphy.gif

Not sure I follow what is going on here.

Are you asking us to look at box office mojo worldwide gross and rank in descending order a list of movies to find which is the biggest ?

Maybe you misread it, read again. Besides, I gave my answer.

1 minute ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Since there are enough responses, think I shall give mine as well.

First off, it's not just about the box office, because the box office depends on so many other factors such as exchange rates, ticket prices, release time, etc. Also, if it was so, I would have simply looked for numbers than the poll.

IMO Avengers: Endgame (now that I am thinking, should have clubbed it with Infinity War) will be the biggest event of this decade followed by Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows 2.

Star Wars: The Force Awakens  is big but limited to West and Japan & Oceania in the East, and said that it's almost negligible in the 42% of the world population; China and Indian subcontinent. Further, ticket prices are higher where TFA was stronger giving it an edge, otherwise in the number of tickets sold it will be much behind the two Avengers finale. e.g. India sold 18 million tickets for Infinity War but gross was just around $45 million, if tickets were as big as some European country, the gross would have been close to $175 million.

This decade didn't exactly produce an Avatar or Titanic, those two managed to take the global box office all time crown,  also taking domestic all time crown, while significantly out-gross the previous global box office crown (in Titanic's case, doubled Jurassic Park), and just about test the upper limit of ticket buying capacity of a significantly portion of markets all over the world. 

I think the top options are:

1. Avengers: Infinity War

2. Star Wars The Force Awakens

3. Harry Potter 8 (DH2)

4. Avengers: Endgame

5. Avengers

6. Frozen

7. Jurassic World

8. Furious 7

9. Black Panther

10. AOU? TS3? Skyfall? Minions?BATB?  hard to pin down.....

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Its The Force Awakens for Domestic market (plus Japan and EU). 

It’s Infinity War for Asia and Latin America

Black Panther (for Africa)

Deathly Hallows 2 is bigger than TFA in Japan and many European countries. Additionally, it has better reach in Asia than Star Wars considerably.

Just now, Charlie Jatinder said:

Deathly Hallows 2 is bigger than TFA in Japan and many European countries. Additionally, it has better reach in Asia than Star Wars considerably.

Not in local currency. TFA grossed ¥11.63 billion versus DH2's ¥9.67 billion.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, George Parr said:

That's a bit misleading though, isn't it?

China throws a big wrench into such a comparison.

TFA joined Titanic and Avatar as the only movies to top 1b internationally without China. Nothing came close to that mark until Infinity War hit 1b as well. The closest movie would be the last Harry Potter, which stands at right about 900m. Only Frozen at about 825m and The Avengers at about 810m even managed to cross 800m internationally minus China.

The emergence of China has a second massiv market next to the domestic one has made quite a few big worldwide hits look bigger internationally than they actually were in most of the world. At this stage it probably makes more sense to split the worldwide intake into three categories: domestic, China, and the remaining international markets. Else you run into a situation where you judge the entire international behaviour just on one market. E.g. The Fate of the Furious looks much bigger than The Last Jedi internationally (1.01b to 712m, it's not really close), suggesting that it was just so much bigger everywhere outside the domestic market. But if you remove China, TLJ was actually bigger in the rest of the world, 670m to 617m or so. China is just too massive a market to properly use the international intake as a whole in a comparison for the general behaviour in the international markets. A large intake in China can make a movie look much bigger internationally, just like a small one can make a movie look smaller compared to one that is pretty similar basically all over the world. That's only fair when judging the worldwide intake, but it can be misleading when one tries to judge the "average" international performance of a movie.

That is a very interesting data:

IW OS-China: $1.010b

TFA OS-China: $1.007b

Just a $3m difference. We could say:

DOM: TFA

China: IW

OS-China: Draw

Now we can discuss that IW was bigger in Asia and LA, where prices are lower and it is needed more admissions to make the same amount of money, but since I do not usually see in these forums too much concern about admissions but mainly about money grossed, I think it is fair to make this split.